New date: August 20, Rahway NJ Free show

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
nikkip
Social Butterfly

Re: New date: August 20, Rahway NJ Free show

Post by nikkip »

It sounds like everything will be done by 9:30 or so, they have a movie showing after the concert. So maybe an hour set each band?

njsoul
Marionette

Post by njsoul »

Just got back from the show. Started around 8:50. Ended just after 10. Movie got pushed to 11. Band was great. I felt so sorry for them though. The crowd....WHAT A BUNCH OF STIFFS!!!! I don't care about the Bodeans so I got there and caught their last 2 songs but being late meant I had to sit in the balcony. Ok, Fine still a great view. The crowd just fucking sat there for Soul Asylum. The only time I saw standing people was maybe the last 3 songs when some die hards made their way and had 1 deep in the front row of standing people. It was NOT a Soul Asylum audience. Lots of old people and some parents with kids. When you have a free show in a small town you get people who just want to leave the house and do something to pass time. That's what happened. These people would never ordinarily be at a SA show. I've seen SA in NYC at the Bowery Ballroom and Irving Plaza just right over the Hudson. So close. The paying SA crowds would stand a rock out and these people tonight would never be in that crowd. If the show even was $5 these people would not have been there. It was loitering. They sat the entire show. I was so embarrassed for the band. Honestly with my hand on a bible I'd say 60% of the crowd couldn't name a single SA song.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

There's a lot of shows where people sit and don't stand. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't enjoy the show. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think that anything else could be expected of a free gig. I seriously doubt that the band was embarrassed, having been veterans of this scene many times over now. As Dave always says "Ya'll could have been anywhere in the world tonight but you chose to be with us." Anyhow, enough of the crowd, what about the show - setlist?

Sad Daydream
Marionette

Post by Sad Daydream »

njsoul, frankly I find your comments to be quite harsh. Did it occur to you that not many people were standing because they didn't want to be obnoxious to the people sitting right behind them? That's why I didn't stand until the encore. And did you happen to notice that there wasn't an open floor, but it was all seats? As far as the "old people" and "people with kids" - it's a free show paid for by the township - what did you expect? Of course a lot of people in and near town are going to come just to check it out. What's wrong with that? If anything, it's only going to win Soul Asylum some new fans. In fact, I got a friend who wasn't familiar with the band to come with me b/c it was free. Guess what? She LOVED it and was disappointed there weren't any CDs for sale. Soul Asylum seemed to be in high spirits and put on a terrific show, and the audience seemed to really enjoy it as well; after every song there was a strong and favorable reaction. I don't "feel sorry" for the band, I'm happy they played to a packed house, kicked ass, and that the audience loved them. OF COURSE this was going to be a different experience than Irving Plaza or Bowery Ballroom - completely different venues/situations, completely different crowds. As far as the ''loitering' claim - everyone was watching the band and enjoying themselves. Not everyone expresses joy the same way.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

I can post the setlist in a bit. No new songs this time but it was a shorter show. I thought it was nice the place filled in so much for a Thursday night show, it was better attended than some of the shows we went to in June. The front row was full of dedicated fans for sure. It was a really fun show, lots of energy. And we got talk to Dave afterwards too :) I thought it was a good show, glad we made the trip.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I brought a friend with me too who I had taken to one previous SA show before. She said she liked the show and bought merch.

As far as sitting vs. standing: I pretty much sit when everyone is sitting and stand when everyone is standing. I was more of a stander when I was younger but now that I'm older and creakier, I can understand the pain involved in standing for some people.

I had a great time! Worth the trip from Minneapolis.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

setlist.fm is saying this for a setlist:

Somebody to Shove
Shut Down
Just Like Anyone
Misery
Lately
Watcha Need
Black Gold
Without a Trace
Runaway Train
Spinnin'
Gravity
Encore:
Made to Be Broken
April Fool
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.