Concert Review: Soul Asylum at The Independent July 25

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
irreverentsoul
Runaway

Concert Review: Soul Asylum at The Independent July 25

Post by irreverentsoul »

Concert Review: Meat Puppets and Soul Asylum at The Independent July 25

Meat Puppets and Soul Asylum are on co-headlining tour that takes them all over the US. Two bands that had their first success in the 80’s made their way to The Independent in San Francisco on July 25. Both of them had a hiatus around the turn of the millennium but got back together, making and performing music in ‘06-’07 and are still very active. Meat Puppets released their latest album “Rat Farm” in 2013 and Soul Asylum is releasing new album “Change of Fortune” through PledgeMusic later this year.

The Independent was very full by the time Meat Puppets started and people immediately got into the show from the first song. The set by Meat Puppets was leaning heavily to more country-like tunes though they naturally played their biggest hits “Backwater”, “Lake of Fire” and “Plateau”. Guitarist and vocalist Curt Kirkwood was noticeably embarrassed when someone in the audience declared him the greatest guitarist of all time. Their performance was quite low key and the band let the music do the talking.

Souls Asylums’ live performance might be a bit of a surprise for a casual listener. They are most known for their hit songs “Runaway Train” and “Misery” which gives an image of a gentle, somewhat melancholic band but actually their live show is very energetic and the band moves more akin to a punk band on the stage. Vocalist David Pirner still has the same unique voice and the new members are real pros and make the songs sound awesome when performed live.

Even though both bands had their own set of fans in the venue they all definitely got a great show for their money. The people on the front row changed between the sets but the energy at The Independent stayed high throughout the show.

More photos of Meat Puppets and Soul Asylum available at the writers website.

Ivory11
Brand New Shine

Re: Concert Review: Soul Asylum at The Independent July 25

Post by Ivory11 »

Thanks for these concert reviews dear! After reading this post I am so regretting why I couldn’t attend it. Anyway, in the next month I will attend upcoming live concert at a popular live music bar nyc. I just reserved my seat for that!