2008 April 26th - Jazz Fest, New Orleans, LA (Dave solo)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Dave show in New Orleans on April 26th (Jazzfest)

Post by sheryl »

norma023 wrote:Hmm, "welcome to your world" I guess !!

:?
yes indeed.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

blitzkriegbob wrote:I'm coming down from NY for jazzfest and definitely plan on being there. Looking forward to it. Is he playing with a band or acoustic? Did this venue used to be called something else?
is he playing with a band or acoustic? i dont even know when he's playing, let alone how. it's also a little unclear as to how the setup is, as it's being referred to as a rotary downs show "with" all of those other bands, so i dont know if they're mingling or playing their own sets or both. all i really know is that i'll be there.

yeah, one eyed jacks did used to be called something else, but i cant remember what it was. i have a big bondage cross in my kitchen that came from it's former incarnation, though :)

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Please post a report after the show! I'm going to be camping with Daisies (very young girl scouts) that evening at a state park. No chance for me to attend. My Daisy scout and I will be sure to play SA all the way up to the campsite, though!

Peace,
Carol

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

It's absolutely official...

Subject: Supagroup, Rotary Downs, and Dave Pirner Saturday!
Body: plus A Living Soundtrack(doors at 8)

$10

Somebody want to forward that to Dave? ;)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Set list from April 26th

Post by sheryl »

Dave and an acoustic guitar. Nothing and nobody else.

Here's your little bitty setlist. I borrowed a pen from the bar and wrote it on a napkin in real time.

Get on Out
Fearless Leader
Black Gold
String of Pearls
Crazy Mixed up World
Faces & Names
Runaway Train (with a harmonica)
Lately (dedicated to the Bush motherfuckers and that's an exact quote)
Somebody to Shove

He dogged on Bush, Plugged Chazfest, told an absolutely terrible joke, repeatedly dogged on himself, did his little Esteban joke a couple of times, kept saying he needed a band, and was absolutely flawlessly amazing. Absolutely flawlessly amazing. I've never heard Dave without Soul Asylum. He was utterly incredible.He doesn't need Soul Asylum.
However, it wasn't the best idea in the world to tell him that. Let that be a lesson to me.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: Set list from April 26th

Post by Sometime to Return »

Sounds incredible. Would have to love to seen this. I am guessing sitting on a chair and playing an accoustic guitar. Awesome!!

With that said; Dave, just because you have a f'ing micophone doesn't mean I want to hear your politics. If you are still pissed off about Hurricane Katrina; I understand that. Fargo isn't the same city it was prior to their great flood in 1997 and that's over 10 years ago. It's almost 3 years after the hurricane and you still have people living in FEMA trailers; which is wrong on so many levels

I love New Orleans the history, the music, the mystique; in fact, Tulane University was a school I considered for law school. But; you cann't "solely" blame the current administration.

New Orleans has a long history of being one of the most corrupt goverments in the United States. Consider Congressman Jefferson and Governor Huey Long administrationin the 1930's. Mayor Nagin didn't even issue an emergency evacuation until Hurricane Katrina was practically on top of the city.

Lots more to be written, discussed and debated etc... "Lately" is a great song written from a soliders point of view; absoultely love that song. I want to leave it at that and just enjoy the music.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Dave running around the stage with an acoustic guitar :)

Dave running around the stage with an acoustic guitar thoroughly and completely owning the audience, too, by the way. And he magnificently confused fully a third of them when he introduced himself as Esteban :) ("Who? I thought his name was Dave?)
He ended up having to explain to one woman that no, the guitar wasn't really for sale.

Quote of the century: "Whoa! He does these songs even better than the original guy!"

I was outside after his set and a guy came up to me and said "Hey, that was the dude from Soul Asylum! I wonder what he's doing in New Orleans?"
I told him he probably just came in for jazzfest.

He had a pretty appreciative audience for his politics I can't lie. I hear what you're saying, but I don't think his struggle to call it the Bush "administration" instead of the Bush motherfuckers is really a case of not being over katrina. He didn't like the first Bush administration either.

And don't think that anyone here absolves New Orleans of responsibility for the state of affairs in the city. New Orleans government has taken corruption to an art form, and I doubt that there's anybody living here who doesn't know that.

Singers have been taking the opportunity to broadcast their politics as long as music has existed. If they don't put it in the actual music they talk about it as soon as they have a captive audience. Dave does both :)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Thanks for the post, Sheryl. Sounds like it was an amazing show. Wish I could have gone. (I love New Orleans, too, though it's been about six years since my last visit.)

Thanks, too, for posting the audience comments. I got a good chuckle out of them. :lol:

Dave probably doesn't need a microphone to talk about politics, just an opening. Anyway, performers are human beings and entitled to discuss their views just like the rest of us. (I may be biased, though, as I share many of Dave's views.)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Sorry to anyone who disagrees, but I say go Dave go! There's a lot more to be mad about in my opinion that the Bushes have done than Katrina! But I'm happy that anyone who disagrees can enjoy the music on it's merits and agree to disagree! That's part of what makes this a great country!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I agree Sheryl. I get the same stuff from people who think Eddie Vedder should shut up. It's like "what does he know, he is an entertainer." But if they, and we, don't know anything, why are we allowed to vote. And if you can vote, you can speak out. Anyhow, lots of great art (and music is art) is politically or socially inspired. if I had a podium, so to speak, I'd use it too. Yeah, it might suck if you don't agree with said entertainer's views, though I can't imagine I'd be that into someone on the other side of the philosophical coin even without live commentary.