2008 April 26th - Jazz Fest, New Orleans, LA (Dave solo)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Set list from April 26th

Post by sheryl »

I tend to like it when the artists I see share their politics, because I like it when anybody takes an opportunity to speak up and speak out. Saying nothing gets us nowhere. And yes, I think I'd have a hard time getting into someone with radically different political views, mainly because it would no doubt be reflected in their music in some way, making it something I would have trouble connecting with. Politics and music do mix well though, there are some great political bands out there. But I do understand what was being said. People don't necessarily want to hear it, and even though I usually appreciate it there are times when I don't either. Sometimes you want music to just be pleasure, just be an escape...not a lesson or a lecture. So I do understand the point.

I don't think I've ever heard Dave get to the point that he's being obnoxious about it, though, or taking away from the music. He makes a comment here or there, but it's not like he takes three songs worth of time to talk about it.

The comment at the show was just that..a comment. He said he had to practice saying Bush administration rather than Bush motherfuckers :) My own thought on that was that motherfuckers works just fine and why change what works? ;)

deer_lick
Lone Rider

Post by deer_lick »

It must really suck to be a right-winged music fan - I can't really think of any artist that agrees with the Bush administration (probably not even Bush :D ). Personally, I think it's great if an artist lets their politics be known. As a kid I investigated the beliefs of The Clash & Billy Bragg and it helped put me on the right (left) path.

blitzkriegbob
Stranger

Post by blitzkriegbob »

Hey just got back from NO and Dave was awesome. Very funny, sounded great, humble (seemed a little nervous about not having a band behind him). Interesting first group (interesting for like the first three songs or so, then got a little repetitive for my taste) called "Living Soundtrack" that Dave says is his favorite new band. Joked a few times about selling Escobar guitars (thats the guy on HSN). Loved the show - so psyched to hear "Faces and Names" I sang it so much to myself the rest of the weekend that it was officially banned by friends. Only downside was annoying first band friends were very rude - talking during the set, etc.. I was surprised at how good "Somebody to Shove" sounded acoustic. "Crazy Mixed up" and "fearless leader" also highlights for me, hell the whole thing was a highlight

That was the place I thought it was Sheryl, that had a different name, spent NYE 2000 there

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

That first band was like having bamboo shoved into my eardrums repeatedly. I've heard kindergarten classes banging away on instruments who sounded better. I keep hoping Dave was kidding when he said he liked them.

So you must have been one of the people I saw singing along to Faces & Names. ;)

i wish i could remember what it used to be called. I know too. I drive myself crazy..but anyway...I spent new years eve there this year!