2016-02-21 - Minnesota Wild / NHL Stadium Series

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

2016-02-21 - Minnesota Wild / NHL Stadium Series

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Picking up from the Turf Club thread, something official now:

https://www.nhl.com/news/cheap-trick-so ... -278936362

NEW YORK - The 2016 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series™ outdoor game between the Minnesota Wild® and Chicago Blackhawks® on Sunday, Feb. 21 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minnesota will feature performances from recent Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees Cheap Trick, alternative rock band Soul Asylum, singer/songwriter Jazmine Sullivan and the University of Minnesota marching band, the National Hockey League announced today. The game also will include a special tribute to hockey in Minnesota, featuring current and former members of the Minnesota Wild and Minnesota North Stars™, among other special guests. The game will be broadcast live at 3:30 p.m. ET in the U.S. as part of Hockey Day in America on NBC and in Canada on Sportsnet and TVA Sports.

Minneapolis-based Soul Asylum will lead the entertainment with a pre-game performance. The University of Minnesota marching band will perform during player introductions. The Minnesota National Guard from Duluth will serve as the color guard during Jazmine Sullivan's performance of the U.S. national anthem, followed by a flyover of two F-16's from the 148th Fighter Wing. Cheap Trick will perform three of their hits during the first intermission.

Wild anthem singer James Bohn will perform the U.S national anthem before the 2016 NHL Stadium Series™ Alumni Game featuring former Wild, Blackhawks and Minnesota North Stars™ players on Saturday, Feb. 20 at 4 p.m. CT, a day prior to the 2016 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series™.

The game day performances and special Minnesota tribute will be produced by IMG, a global leader in sports, fashion and media, under the direction of Steve Mayer, NHL Executive Vice President and Executive Producer of Programming & Creative Development.

Cheap Trick
With more than 5,000 performances spanning four decades and 20 million records sold worldwide, Cheap Trick is undoubtedly one of the most influential classic rock groups of the past 50 years. The band was formed in 1974 and while it has evolved throughout the years, Cheap Trick has continued to reach mainstream and critical success. Hits such as "I Want You To Want Me," "Dream Police," and "Surrender" have cemented the group as one of America's top rock 'n' roll bands of all time. The band will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in a special ceremony on April 8.

Soul Asylum
Formed in Minnesota, alternative rock band Soul Asylum will release Change of Fortune, its eleventh studio album, and its first for Entertainment One Music (eOne Music), on March 18. The dozen-song set embodies the band's trademark balance of rocking abandon, infectious melodic craft and raw-nerved emotional depth, boasting a compelling set of new compositions from founding singer/guitarist David Pirner, while showcasing the strength and versatility of Soul Asylum's current lineup, which teams Pirner with guitarist Justin Sharbono, bassist Winston Roye and drummer Michael Bland.

Jazmine Sullivan
Eleven-time Grammy nominated artist Jazmine Sullivan first hit the scene in 2008 with the release of her debut album Fearless, which spawned hits like "Need U Bad," "Bust Your Windows" and "Lions, Tigers & Bears." In 2010, the Philadelphia native released Love Me Back, which produced the chart-topping fan favorite "Holding You Down." After a four-year hiatus, Jazmine returned in 2015 with Reality Show, which debuted at #1 on the Billboard R&B Albums chart and #2 on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Album chart and garnered three Grammy nominations that included "Best R&B Album." Over this past year, Sullivan has appeared on "Good Morning America," "Live! With Kelly & Michael," "The Tonight Show featuring Jimmy Fallon," headlined two sold-out tours and opened up for Sam Smith (who is also a huge fan). Sullivan is currently focusing on her writing and gearing up to head back into the studio to work on her new project.

Salute to the State of Hockey
The outdoor game will feature a special second intermission salute to hockey in Minnesota, featuring former and current NHL and college players with ties to the game in the state. Joining in the celebration will be Aaron Broten, Neal Broten, Dave Christian, Phil Housley, Jamie Langenbrunner and Reed Larson; Apple Valley High School goalie Taylor DeForrest, who recently registered 111 saves in a game; members of the University of Minnesota's women's hockey team; and Wright Homes/FHIT, winners of the 2016 National Pond Hockey Championships open division.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, um... possible setlist? Somebody to Shove... Keep it Up... (You) Ain't That Tough??? LOL..

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Re: 2016-02-21 - Minnesota Wild / NHL Stadium Series

Post by EasyStreet »

nice find! Too bad the price to get in is your standard NHL Hockey game ticket (read --> way overpriced and not in my budget) :evil:
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Yeah, this looks awesome. Contrarily, I have no idea the names of the "bands" I saw at the NYC game a few years ago. Certainly weren't any of my favorite rock and roll bands.

On the flip side of the ticket price, I would imagine that at least one of their songs would be played on TV. Tune in!

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

anyone see any music footage for this? I didn't.

Nice article about Dave and early hockey days --->
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-stadium-se ... =278541252
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

NBC didn't show SA but I could hear them in the background while the hockey commentators were talking. I heard "Shove," "RT," and "Supersonic." I'm not sure if they played anything else. I also briefly caught a shot of Dave in the stadium's big screen when NBC was panning out before going to commercial.