2016-05-20 - Non Comm - Philly, PA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: 2016-05-20 - Non Comm - Philly, PA

Post by Closer »

The guy is called Ryan Smith, a musician from Minnesota, and if you check his facebook page you can find out he'll be touring with them this summer.

I don't know if he's filling in or if he's the new guitar player but it would be typical for Soul Asylum to not communicate with their fanbase. Same thing happend with Dan... we had to find out by seeing another guy on stage playing the guitar. I don't get why it's so hard for them to post a message online or whatever... maybe they think fans wouldn't notice : /

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I see he is in a band called the Melismatics, who have opened for SA.

Interesting quote:
""A lot of people say we sound like Soul Asylum," Smith said. "I actually never listened to them that much. They're probably the Minnesota band that's influenced me the least.""

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Yaz McBoo wrote:I see he is in a band called the Melismatics, who have opened for SA.

Interesting quote:
""A lot of people say we sound like Soul Asylum," Smith said. "I actually never listened to them that much. They're probably the Minnesota band that's influenced me the least.""
That's funny because on his facebook he says to be super-psyched to be playing guitar for one of his all-time favorite bands, meaning SA.

Anyway, I'm curious why Justin left right after the release of the new album, if he did indeed leave the band.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Well the quote is a few years old, and they've since opened for SA and he's played with Dave at benefit shows, so I guess the working relationship has been to his liking. Maybe it was the just the "new band trying to shake off comparisons to veteran acts" thing. SA might be his favorite band now but it doesn't seem like they were his "all-time" fave! Ha.

Yeah, sure would be nice if Dave/management could acknowledge the lineup change. Justin is a good guy and I thoroughly enjoyed the shows with him in the band.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Good find on the interview about the Nicolettes... I didn't realize the guy from Eve 6 was part of it.

Based on the video that is circulating w/ the new guy; I think that the band looks and sounds more like the Soul Asylum I love than they ever did w/ Justin.

I've been assuming Justin is gone for good since he removed SA from his twitter profile.

I suspect their is a deeper story w/ Justin; but probably nothing near as interesting as what my mind is making up.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the band w/ the new guy.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Well, someone made an announcement:

http://www.greenroommusicsource.com/news/14219328
"Ryan Smith of The Melismatics hired as lead guitarist for Soul Asylum
2016-05-27
We're so happy to announce Ryan Smith, lead singer of The Melismatics has been hired on as lead guitarist for Soul Asylum. Look for Ryan playing with SA all summer long as they tour behind the release of their long-awaited new album, 'Change of Fortune'."

And....

http://www.startribune.com/annual-david ... 382148321/
"After a falling out with Dan Murphy’s young replacement Justin Sharbono, Soul Asylum has recruited Ryan Smith of the Melismatics to fill in on guitar for its June 18 gig at the Minnesota Zoo and its upcoming summer dates with the English Beat."

=/

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Falling out isn't the most positive text; but I suspect it was just someone using creative license.