2008 May 3rd - Hamline University, St. Paul, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
norma023
O'Jeezer

2008 May 3rd - Hamline University, St. Paul, MN

Post by norma023 »

anyone hear of a "for students only" type show coming up at a local St Paul college?? I did.

Sometimes they open these up to the general public, but then not always

Buehller?
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

clammers
Social Butterfly

Re: show in St Paul ???

Post by clammers »

The Hold Steady just did that on April 10th at Northrop. You heard SA is going to?
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Intriguing. Technically, I'll still be a student through June, but I suppose "for students only" means students of the school in question. :wink:

Still... keep us posted. I'm seriously jonesing for a show.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

yes they did. And yes
clammers wrote:The Hold Steady just did that on April 10th at Northrop. You heard SA is going to?

Last time I remember SA doing this was a show at St Thomas, in Sept of 97. I was "this" close to going with my (then) wife who happen to be a student there at the time. But being she was pregnant at the time, we ended up not going. Seems to me this one was opened up to the public last minute.
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I think there was a similar show at a school somewhere in PA (?) back in 1999 or so.

Two years ago SA was part of a spring festival show at Temple University in Philly and I think you had to be either a student or win one of the limited number of tickets that a radio station was giving away. I was in the area for an internship, but I knew someone who had an "in" so I was able to go to the show too.

Six years ago VEISHEA at Iowa State had SA. I was a student there, so I was able to buy tickets for myself and my non-ISU student friends, but that show had no rule about whether or not you had to be a student at the school to attend. It's probably good that my friends came to the show, because we made up the tiny portion of the audience who knew more than one song.

So I'm guessing it depends on the school.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I think there was a similar show at a school somewhere in PA (?) back in 1999 or so.
Yes, LaSalle Unviersity, March 1999. I think I even went through their online directory and emailed a bunch of people asking if they'd hold a ticket for me. One Person said yes, but in the end, never materialized... As I was then without a ticket, the guard wouldn't let me in as it was for students only, but being there was only a handful of us SA fans, after a few minutes she told me to use the side door. So nice. And it was kick ass show too. For the one at Temple, they gave away tons of tickets at various stores and bars around town, I think my brother ended up getting 8 of them. You just had to go at a certain time to ask for them. There were quite obviously tons of non-students there.

I'd say go ahead and give it a try, chances are, you'll get in.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Yaz McBoo wrote:
mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I think there was a similar show at a school somewhere in PA (?) back in 1999 or so.
Yes, LaSalle Unviersity, March 1999. I think I even went through their online directory and emailed a bunch of people asking if they'd hold a ticket for me. One Person said yes, but in the end, never materialized... As I was then without a ticket, the guard wouldn't let me in as it was for students only, but being there was only a handful of us SA fans, after a few minutes she told me to use the side door. So nice. And it was kick ass show too. For the one at Temple, they gave away tons of tickets at various stores and bars around town, I think my brother ended up getting 8 of them. You just had to go at a certain time to ask for them. There were quite obviously tons of non-students there.

I'd say go ahead and give it a try, chances are, you'll get in.
Normally with shows like this you can find a way in even if they don't explicitly allow it. They might not technically allow non students in, but generally it's students who run the door. They'll let the rules slip for a 20 most likely. If not offer them a beer. They normally don't want to see people upset, and when it's obvious you're a huge fan of the band you can manage. It helps to be "near-college aged", but I don't even think that's a limitation. With enough trying most anything is possible. I think back in '98 I was at a show like that at Miami university (although it may have been open admission). It was an outdoor one, and I remember just kind of walking around security and getting into the venue during sound check too. It's amazing how much security will ignore people who pretend they know what they're doing.

Phil

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

May 3rd/Hamline Univ
that's all I know

Phil, are you going to cover for me for that $20 ???
:mrgreen:

Benny
Runaway

Post by Benny »

Here's the official word.

There's a show at Hamline University on May 3, yes. However, it's only open to students, and each student is allowed to bring ONE guest each. So if you really want to go, I suggest you lurk around the Hamline campus and start making friends. It will NOT be opened, nor advertised to, the public.

Benny

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Benny;

I hope you get into this thread again.

But; what about alumni? I am a proud graduate of Hamline University.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.