2008 July 4th - Heinz Field. Pittsburgh, PA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: July 4TH in Pittsburgh

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Rich wrote:Miss Fitt 2, were you one of the ones up front who let my daughter stand next to you? If so, I can't thank you enough. She made it through about half the set up there, but decided to move over to the side on the grass.
Yes, that was me. Your daughter was an absolute doll. It was nice to talk to you guys after the show. It's always nice to meet fellow fans, especially long-time fans who have re-discovered how great the band is live. And I'm glad you found your way to this site! I hope to see you at another show again soon.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:I was sure Sarah or Pat would have posted the set list by now, but since they haven't, here's a report.

Soul Asylum, fireworks, and reconnecting with friends made for a pretty spectacular night!

And it was so much fun to hang out with Andrew, Pat, and Sarah and to see Lance.

Now I have to wait until August 18 before I get to see them again. :cry:
Sorry, I've been resting up while watching Wimbledon; amazing tennis today! I'll bet Sarah is still on the road, hope we hear from her soon. I had SUCH a great time! Like you said: Soul Asylum, fireworks, old friends and new friends! Wish I were going to Atlanta but I expect a full report from Andrew!

Don't know when I'll see them again but I know that I will! Great, great time!!

Pat

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

Oh yeah, welcome Rich!! Great to meet you and your group. Your daughter IS a sweetheart. Hope to see you again!
Pat

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

pathorses wrote:
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:I was sure Sarah or Pat would have posted the set list by now, but since they haven't, here's a report.

Soul Asylum, fireworks, and reconnecting with friends made for a pretty spectacular night!

And it was so much fun to hang out with Andrew, Pat, and Sarah and to see Lance.

Now I have to wait until August 18 before I get to see them again. :cry:
Sorry, I've been resting up while watching Wimbledon; amazing tennis today! I'll bet Sarah is still on the road, hope we hear from her soon. I had SUCH a great time! Like you said: Soul Asylum, fireworks, old friends and new friends! Wish I were going to Atlanta but I expect a full report from Andrew!

Don't know when I'll see them again but I know that I will! Great, great time!!

Pat
It was indeed amazing and it was great seeing Nadal win his first Wimbledon.

Anyway, thanks for posting the setlist.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I would have posted, but unfortunately was dealing with dialup at my grandma's and could not get online till I got home today. Thanks for posting the setlist, Judith! It was great to see you again and meet Pat and Andrew, and later Lance. I hope the cash I left Judith, Pat, and Andrew covered our drinks after my sisters and I left. My sisters are actually starting to recognize some of the SA songs now.

Easy Street was DEFINITELY the highlight for me. I told my sisters that made my trip totally worth it. When the guys started playing it, it took about a minute for my brain to register what I was hearing and I just looked over at Judith all jaw-dropped. I'd definitely give the guys an okay-plus!

Right before the show started, Bohemian Rhapsody was playing on the radio. When it got to the "I see a little silhouette of a man" lyric, Tommy Stinson started dancing around and acting out to the lyrics. Then the guys were all looking at each other like, "you ready?" When it got to the part of the song where the Wayne's World cast headbangs in the Wayne's World movie, SA started playing along with the radio, and then went into their show. I thought that was pretty cool.

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:
I would have posted, but unfortunately was dealing with dialup at my grandma's and could not get online till I got home today. Thanks for posting the setlist, Judith! It was great to see you again and meet Pat and Andrew, and later Lance. I hope the cash I left Judith, Pat, and Andrew covered our drinks after my sisters and I left. My sisters are actually starting to recognize some of the SA songs now.

Easy Street was DEFINITELY the highlight for me. I told my sisters that made my trip totally worth it. When the guys started playing it, it took about a minute for my brain to register what I was hearing and I just looked over at Judith all jaw-dropped. I'd definitely give the guys an okay-plus!

Right before the show started, Bohemian Rhapsody was playing on the radio. When it got to the "I see a little silhouette of a man" lyric, Tommy Stinson started dancing around and acting out to the lyrics. Then the guys were all looking at each other like, "you ready?" When it got to the part of the song where the Wayne's World cast headbangs in the Wayne's World movie, SA started playing along with the radio, and then went into their show. I thought that was pretty cool.
Thanks for reminding me about the Queen song; I had totally forgotten that part! It was great, and it was also great to meet you and your sisters. You left about $5 too much so we'll hook you up some day! Glad you made it home safe; hope to see you at another show!
Pat

theswine
Runaway

Post by theswine »

I'm betraying my age here, but Cain, a twin-cities band from the 70's, used to start one of their sets in a similar way, Bohemian Rhapsody would be playing through their amps, they would join in when the song turns to rock, , then break off into a Queen medley. Just a bit of nostalgia from an old timer.

I'm glad the band sounded so good. I'll be in the audience this week-end.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote: Easy Street was DEFINITELY the highlight for me. I told my sisters that made my trip totally worth it. When the guys started playing it, it took about a minute for my brain to register what I was hearing and I just looked over at Judith all jaw-dropped.
When they started playing it, I immediately looked at you, because I wanted to catch the expression on your face when you recognized it. It was priceless. :)
mystic_spiral_3 wrote: Right before the show started, Bohemian Rhapsody was playing on the radio. When it got to the "I see a little silhouette of a man" lyric, Tommy Stinson started dancing around and acting out to the lyrics. Then the guys were all looking at each other like, "you ready?" When it got to the part of the song where the Wayne's World cast headbangs in the Wayne's World movie, SA started playing along with the radio, and then went into their show. I thought that was pretty cool.
I am so glad you posted about that! Andrew and I were just out eating pizza (He's visiting me for a couple of days on his latest Soul Asylum-inspired U.S. trip) and "Free Bird" came on the stereo in the restaurant, and that prompted us both to remember the Queen episode and I couldn't believe I neglected to mention that in my post. I love that goofy stuff.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

nikki
Stranger

Post by nikki »

I have been a lurker here for quite some time and a long time Soul Asylum fan. SA has been one of my favorite bands since I was 12 - really! I had almost given up seeing them live at one point, which was very sad to me. I never seemed to be able to see them for whatever reason. When I found out that they were playing in Pittsburgh I told my husband we had to go "no matter what!".

So I finally, after 15years or so of being a fan saw SA live. They were everything I always thought they would be. They were more than everything I always thought they'd be. It was amazing. I almost am at a loss for words. I want to see them again...and again...and again...

blitzkriegbob
Stranger

Post by blitzkriegbob »

great pictures...is Tommy on for the rest of the summer?