2008 July 4th - Heinz Field. Pittsburgh, PA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: July 4TH in Pittsburgh

Post by norma023 »

awesome photo's and report! Sure do wish I could travel more seeing reports similiar to this......

They broke out Easy Street, again?!? Awesome, makes me even more pumped to see them this w/end!!

And on that note, better dig out this mp3 someone sent me of the "Easy Street" from that last First Ave and give it a few more listens !!
:o
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

pazz92
Lone Rider

Post by pazz92 »

I agree that it was a very special show. This was only the second time I got to see them live, and I've been a fan of the band for 16 years. I was so happy they played Never Really Been, Cartoon, and Oxygen! The band was having a lot of fun out there, and they were singing along to Queens "Bohemian Rhapsody" as they came out. Glad the weather held out and I got a nice spot near the stage! Hope to see them again in the future!

nikki
Stranger

Post by nikki »

norma023 wrote:They broke out Easy Street, again?!? Awesome, makes me even more pumped to see them this w/end!!
I have a video of Easy Street and a couple others but they aren't formatted for the internet yet. Give me a couple days and I will post them :)

inasimplerhyme
Runaway

Post by inasimplerhyme »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:I was sure Sarah or Pat would have posted the set list by now, but since they haven't, here's a report.

Right before the show started, Bohemian Rhapsody was playing on the radio. When it got to the "I see a little silhouette of a man" lyric, Tommy Stinson started dancing around and acting out to the lyrics. Then the guys were all looking at each other like, "you ready?" When it got to the part of the song where the Wayne's World cast headbangs in the Wayne's World movie, SA started playing along with the radio, and then went into their show. I thought that was pretty cool.

Oh man, I would have loved to have seen that! Soul Asylum covering Queen and playing "Easy Street" ?? Can you get better than that? I don't think so.

Thanks for much to those who posted the setlist and photos.

-Jon

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Thanks for all the posts about the show and the set lists. Sounds like you all had a ball. I am looking forward to finally seeing them on July 18th. And can't wait to hear Easy Street!! So fitting as it will be at the end of my first week of FINALLY having a job!!! Hope to see some of you there.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Thanks for all the great reports. It sounds like it was so much fun. Wonder if they'll play "Easy Street" at the Lake of the Ozarks show.

Twiddly Dee has been writing about SA withdrawal on another thread. Beginning to understand what she means. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Someone put a video of the band playing Runaway Train - it was awesome! I liked the slightly new version better. How long have they been playing RT that way?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I didn't think the performance sounded too different from what I've seen and heard before, but I've been to alot of shows. What looked or sounded different to you?

I'm also relieved that I was not immortalized on that Youtube clip. During RT, where I was standing at the show, there was someone nearby making trouble and security guards were yelling at him, so it was hard to pay attention to the performance. So now I got to hear the performance without distraction. Thanks.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:What looked or sounded different to you?
The 2nd chorus was sang differently from the album version.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I listened to the clip again during the part you mentioned. They've been doing that off and on at shows over the last several years. I guess that's why it didn't jump out at me that it was different. :)

1998 New Years Eve is probably the most altered version of RT I've heard; it was almost unrecognizable until hearing a few words.