2008 July 4th - Heinz Field. Pittsburgh, PA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
RadioGuy
Marionette

2008 July 4th - Heinz Field. Pittsburgh, PA

Post by RadioGuy »

July 4TH in Pittsburgh at Point State Park Heinz Field - South Field Stage.

Does anyone have any details on this show? Are they headlining or opening? How much? is this an all day festival type thing? What time?

Soul Asylum could always stop off in DC/VA/MD on their way to Atl and save us about $29,000 in gas. :lol:

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: July 4TH in Pittsburgh

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I suspect it is the Regatta Festival. My grandmother said that the July 4 timeframe sounds right for that festival. That said, I haven't been able to find any more information about it.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Soul Asylum and fireworks would rock!! :mrgreen:

blitzkriegbob
Stranger

Post by blitzkriegbob »

Not on pollstar. Very hard to find any information. The Regatta is not being held at the park listed on the site - see below from Pittsburgh Newspaper. Thinking of taking the road trip.

The Three Rivers Regatta chose the North Shore between Heinz Field and PNC Park as home for the July 4 celebration.

"In terms of crowd control, water accessibility and parking, I'm not certain that Point State Park is quite ready for us," Three Rivers Regatta chairman John Bonassi said. "We would have been the first major group using the park. We thought under the circumstances that it would make more sense to use the North Shore."

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

I saw that article too. However I think the myspace page also listed Regatta Festival when I clicked on that particular concert date.

I haven't seen the date show up on WYEP's concert calendar either.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

I plan on going tomorrow. I am taking my sisters along with me. If anyone here is going, see you there. May not check the board before the show as I am dealing with dialup connection at the moment.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Can't wait to hear your report, Sarah! Have fun.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I was sure Sarah or Pat would have posted the set list by now, but since they haven't, here's a report.

Soul Asylum, fireworks, and reconnecting with friends made for a pretty spectacular night!

The highlight of the show was hearing them do Easy Street! As soon as Danny said, "Here's one we never play," I knew that's what it was going to be. When they finished, Dave said something like, "We didn't totally screw that up. I give it an Okay-minus." Then he added, "Next time we're going to try for an Okay-plus." Meanwhile, it sounded absolutely awesome to me and I was thrilled that they played it. I think it's looking pretty good that you guys who are going to the upcoming shows will get to hear it.

Somebody to Shove
All Is Well
Bittersweetheart
See You Later
Misery
Lately
Without a Trace
Black Gold
New World
Never Really Been
Easy Street
Oxygen
Sometime to Return
Whatcha Need
Cartoon
Gone 'til November
Summer of Drugs
Runaway Train
Just Like Anyone
Bus Named Desire
Stand Up and Be Strong

Dave looked scrumptious, and a couple of people have posted photos on Flickr, so you can see ample evidence of that:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&q=D ... ner&m=text

He had brief guitar problems and had to play a strange blonde acoustic guitar for a little while that he wasn't happy with. Kyle had to come out and put duct tape on it to muffle the sound a bit. But it was only a brief glitch and didn't detract from a great set.

Dave did his pirate and artificial plant jokes, but Danny got the biggest laugh with his joke: "Did you hear President Bush is thinking about getting his nipples pierced? Well, he already has a little Dick Cheney."

I've posted about so many shows that my adjectives have lost their currency, but it really was a fantastic show. And it was especially fun to see a slightly different set than the one I heard a couple of weeks ago in Kansas City. I'm always sad when they don't do Closer to the Stars, but it was wonderful to hear Never Really Been, Easy Street, and Summer of Drugs. And it was so much fun to hang out with Andrew, Pat, and Sarah and to see Lance.

Now I have to wait until August 18 before I get to see them again. :cry:
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Rich
Stranger

Post by Rich »

What a great show! That was the first time I'd seen them since '98; and they are just as good, if not better, than ever! My kids loved them; my son asked me after the set if he could borrow all my SA CDs. My girlfriend is a long time fan, but this was her first time seeing them live. Of course, she was completely fixated on Dave; but I'll let that slide ;) I think the set list was great; balancing the hits for the casual, festival crowd with the lesser known tracks for the die-hards. Of course, there were plenty of songs I would have loved to hear (Closer To The Stars, We 3, Passing Sad Daydream, Veil Of Tears, I could go on & on), but they would have had to play the entire day to cover everything! Wish I could travel to some more of the shows this year.

Miss Fitt 2, were you one of the ones up front who let my daughter stand next to you? If so, I can't thank you enough. She made it through about half the set up there, but decided to move over to the side on the grass.

BTW, I'm glad to see this site up; I'd been meaning to register, but just never got around to it 'til now. I was on the yahoo board, but never really posted anything.