2008 June 7th - Ribfest: Fargodome, Fargo, ND

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

2008 June 7th - Ribfest: Fargodome, Fargo, ND

Post by Sometime to Return »

If anyone is going to this show; please report back. A set list, the bands demeanor, the crowd buzz and any other pertinent information will be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to go since Fargo isn't that far from the Twin Cities; but a certain four year old would; well let's just say... kill me, if I missed her dance recital that day.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: The Fargo June 7th show...

Post by norma023 »

short little interview with Dave (from just the other day) can be found here

http://fm1051.net:80/?p=778
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

norma023
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm

short little interview with Dave (from just the other day) can be found here
Thanks for the post; Norm023.

When they asked him about the bass player; any thoughts on Dave's answer if he was joking around or serious about who was playing bass?

Plus his answer would lead me to belive that they don't travel together.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

clammers
Social Butterfly

Post by clammers »

The show was good. George was on bass. They used rented equipment other than their guitars. Dave was cracking jokes and making comments all night. He made some kinda Kate Moss/Ribfest remark. A few of his 'jokes'...

"what do you call a cow with no legs?"..."ground beef"

"I bought an artificial plant and it died...because I forgot to pretend to water it"

setlist was pretty typical...in no order (well...somewhat)

Somebody To Shove
All Is Well
Bittersweet Heart
See You Later
Misery/Silly Love Songs
Black Gold
Runaway Train
Sometime To Return
Closer To The Stars
Summer Of Drugs
Cartoon
Whatcha Need
Gone Til November
Without A Trace
Oxygen
Just Like Anyone
Stand Up And Be Strong

I think thats it...no Never Really Been :(
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

A review of the show from a local newspaper...

Another prediction for 2012: Alt-rockers from the 1990s will be annexing the cultural property now held by the previous decade’s hair bands.

Corn-dog vendors across the land, prepare for a new soundtrack – out with the stone-wash, in with the flannel.

That’s the prayer I’ll be sending up to the rock gods after catching Soul Asylum’s 90-minute set for a crowd of several thousand on a gorgeous Saturday night at Rib Fest in the Fargodome’s parking lot. Now if we could only get Dave Pirner and pals to play the part.

Seeing as the band dropped off the face of Earth for most of this decade, its return was welcome. Despite spending the summer playing one-off gigs – much of it at outdoor community festivals and on bills with other ’90s bands (such as Everclear, which played Rib Fest last year) – the Minneapolis-born rock band sounded great.

Frontman Pirner and guitarist Dan Murphy still have it, and I’ve got no beef with the new guys on bass and drums. They opened with the insistent chug of “Somebody to Shove” and it didn’t sound nearly as dated as the joke Pirner cracked after it: “Last time I saw this many ribs, I was partying with Kate Moss.”

RELATED CONTENT
Dave Roepke Archive
Plus, the guys are still playful up there. They took “Cartoon” and stretched it out with extended snippets from Wyclef Jean’s “Gone Till November” and a turbo-charged Pirner and Murphy dual guitar freak-out. The feedback-drenched chaotic finish to main-set closer “Just Like Anyone” was pure fun.

But it seems Soul Asylum is confused about its status. This is understandable, because the band’s never had a stable one.

It spent the Reagan years stuck as third fiddle in a Minneapolis post-punk scene dominated by The Replacements and Hüsker Dü. It laid low most of the first Bush administration to write the songs that comprised “Grave Dancers Union,” the 1992 CD that was its biggest and best.

The band rode the alt-rock wave out through most of the Clinton years, but by the time the definition of “is” was being questioned, Soul Asylum retreated into hiatus.

That brings us to their 2006 album “Silver Lining,” a so-so CD over-represented Saturday. There was – yawn – almost as much material played from that as there was from both “Grave Diggers” and “Let Your Dim Light Shine.”

It’s not just that. It’s pretty cold to begrudge a band simply for that most typical of annoyances, favoring the new and unknown. But the song sequencing seemed designed to fly in the face of accepted fair-band rules. Forty minutes in, Soul Asylum had burned up all of its biggest hits. Where’s the tease? It’s hard to deliver a crushing encore if no one knows the tune.

Pirner even acknowledged the ammo-emptying nature of the first half of the set by announcing this before playing “Runaway Train”: “If you guys are still around after the show, I’d be surprised.”

Come on, don’t be such a sad sack. You’re playing in a nostalgia act. You remind people of their youth, and your fans are old enough to appreciate the reminder. Embrace it.

Rock might never stop, but its passengers do age.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Dave Roepke at (701) 241-5535

Meat
Lone Rider

Post by Meat »

Hello all! This should be the setlist from Saturday night:

Somebody to Shove
All Is Well
Bittersweetheart
See You Later
Misery -> Silly Love Songs
Lately
Without a Trace
Black Gold
Runaway Train
Oxygen
Whatcha Need
Cartoon ->
Gone Till November
Summer of Drugs
Closer to the Stars
Sometime to Return
Just Like Anyone
Encore:
Stand Up & Be Strong (with Benny & Susan, a guitar tech I've seen a few times at their shows).

Overall, I have to say the show was great. Like most Ribfests, I tend to not enjoy the crowd as much as a First Ave show as the people tend to only enjoy the hits. However, this crowd didn't massively take off after "Runaway Train" & they played all the "major" hits. Some did leave, but most stayed. Everyone I brought to the show (7 people) all enjoyed it & even said "Well, I didn't know Soul Asylum could rock like that!" :roll: ...as if I haven't ever mentioned before! Dave was especially energetic & very funny (I do like his "bad" jokes!). I was a little disappointed with no "Crazy Mixed Up World," "Bus Named Desire," or "Never Really Been" but at least "Sometime to Return" & "Cartoon" were played.

In response to that newspaper writer's view of the band being a "nostalgia act," he even mentioned earlier in his piece that the band was playing some "so-so" new stuff (5 songs total by my count). It seems a little retarded to me to say that they are "nostalgia act" as most rock bands are technically nostalgia acts. As you write record more & more records, you tend to build a body of work that you enjoy & draw from for shows. Some band's "best stuff" is variable, from fans to the even the band members. It's not too often I see a band that's been around for more than 20 years put more than 5-7 new songs in the set for tours (there are exceptions like R.E.M., Radiohead, Rush recently, & such, of course). I'm not sure about the rest of the people on this board, but that's most obvious case of trying to avoid nostalgia! Look at the '80's hair bands to look at some textbook definitions of nostalgia (ex. Cinderella, Warrant with Jani Lane currently, RATT). For a guy who trying coming off as a Soul Asylum historian, he seems to forget the early years (I’m looking at those late '80s tours) where they would throw out the rules to what should be played at that night's show, Ribfest or not. It’s true the stereotypical Ribfest fan is there for the hits (just listen to all the chatter between hit songs & non-hit songs), but if that was the case, the show would be over in 20 minutes! To me, the fact they arranged their set this way seemed like a way to poke fun at that stereotype. The simple fact there were people who stayed after the hits were all played should've clued the man in that there may be some life left in the band & that maybe there's more than just a nostalgia appeal to this band.

-Manfish

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Welcome to the board manfish. The people on this board know more than the "hits".

The set list is something that we always discuss on this board. I{t looks like they changed the list a little bit; which is great. I am probably in the minority; but I wouldn't be disappointed if they dropped "all is well."

I was glad to see "Oxygen"/ "whatcha you need"; these two songs need be included in every show. As always; every Soul Asylum show needs to include "Cartoon" and "Sometime to return." :D

Glad to hear that the band we in great spirits; they are still having fun.

The writer who wrote the review was probably one of those guys who only new the hits. He had the audicity to say the "TSL" was a so-so album. I e-mailed to tell him what I thought about.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

theswine
Runaway

Post by theswine »

Soul Asylum is a "nostalgia act"? And TSL was a "so-so" album? The guy who wrote that review is uninformed and has no business writing about bands he knows so little about. He also seems like the type who equates negativity with brilliance.

I hope they keep "Closer To The Stars" and "Summer Of Drugs" in their set list this summer - two of my favorites.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Sometime to Return wrote:I wouldn't be disappointed if they dropped "all is well."
Bite your tongue! That is such a fun live song and always a great adrenaline rush at the start of the set.

It's really nice to see "Summer of Drugs" in the set. And I agree... "Closer to the Stars" always belongs in the set, as does "Sometime to Return," even though it's great to see them mix it up. Those songs are definitely highlights of the show no matter how many times I hear them.

On a related note... I wonder if Dave gets tired of giving the same interview.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I can see why the reviewer would refer to SA as a nostalgia act. As much as I don't like to admit it, they are playing festival shows, and the festivals pull them in because the crowds there remember SA from their 90s hits.

However, that said, I think they made a really good setlist for their positions. They got their hits in there to make people happy (personally I wouldn't mind seeing a club show where they left off some of them and put on alternate songs from those albums), and put in a good mix of newer and older material.

I think the idea of getting the hits in early also says to the crowd "You've heard a couple of our other songs now, and you've heard the hits you knew... do you want to stay for the rest?" I think they do a great job at those festival shows in raising interest. I always wonder how many people from those shows go out and buy their new album afterward, or would consider it if they sold merch at the show.

Personally, I'm really feeling the itch to see another show grow. The Waukesha show is coming up, as is the chicago zoo show, but I also really want to see a club show. I can't believe I haven't seen them since September.

Phil