2007 Dec. 21st - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I saw this in the latest City Pages:

As maligned as they are revered, Soul Asylum just keep rolling along in the face of adversity. Founding member and bassist Karl Mueller passed away in 2005, and their 2006 release, The Silver Lining, was somewhat inexplicably met with near-outright hatred in these very pages and elsewhere. You might despise Grave Dancers Union now, but if you were in high school or college in the early '90s, you can still sing along with every word on that album, whether you will admit to it or not. If you were in high school or college at all between 1983 and, well, now, one of their albums was probably the soundtrack to a night involving things you still don't want to tell your parents about, but repeat to your friends as often as possible (for the record, mine involves the then-seven-year-old Hang Time.) Always viewed as part of the JV squad in Minneapolis (they actually wanted to make money as musicians, for shame!), their popularity far eclipsed other hometown favorites (Hüsker Dü, the Replacements, et al.) outside the state lines, and that says quite a bit more about us than it does about them. They have created a lasting legacy, and nobody can take that away. With the Evening Rig and Mayda. 18+. $16/$18 at the door. 8:00 p.m. 701 First Ave. N., Minneapolis; 612.332.1775. —Pat O'Brien

http://articles.citypages.com/2007-12-1 ... ic-a-list/

disilluzion
O'Jeezer

Post by disilluzion »

Well, you kids have fun. Looks like the potential for some bad weather on the path home after the show, so if the show sells out you can let 'em know that two ticketholders won't make it ;)

And if someone wants to pick me up a shirt that would be cool...I can pay you in advance or after...PM me if you'd like to help a fan out.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

The Holiday Show at First Avenue

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

What an amazing show last night! I posted a few pictures on myspace - just click on my memberlist link. I gotta go back to bed now!

Tracy

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Outstanding and truly special show last night! I know Jim will be posting the set list, and he will get the songs and the order right, so I will refrain from trying to do it from memory.

But what an extraordinary and surprising set list. As I remarked to Clammers, I knew they were going to pull out some old songs, but I never expected them to change 3/4 of the setlist!

When they opened with Easy Street, I knew we were in for a special night. When they broke into Tied to the Tracks, I nearly burst. But I think the highlight of the show for me was Passing Sad Daydream. Such a fantastic performance with Dave really working it.

And it was great to see so many of you - Jim, Chad, Todd, Michelle, Kelli, Tracy, and of course Andrew, who gets the "crazier than me" award for traveling from England!

The guys obviously worked hard to prepare for that show and it was such a high-energy performance. A truly great xmas present!
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

clammers
Social Butterfly

Post by clammers »

AWESOME show...no other way to describe it. It was great meeting those who I did....Jim, Judith, Todd and whoever else...I see from Judith's list there were more I must not have met but maybe next time.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I've never been to the holiday show.

One of my friends was there last night, and sent me a quote from someone who works there.

He said to her: "Some of these people in this audience were here at the very first show these guys played here. The guys in the band and the folks in the audience, they've been coming here together all these years."

disilluzion
O'Jeezer

Post by disilluzion »

I would like to send a thank you out to all the people that offered to pick me up a shirt since I was unable to attend. I never realized how many nice people we have here! :arrow:

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

That show last night was a special treat. :-) And Tracy, great pic of Dave signing the tattoo!
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I just got home from Minneapolis about an hour ago. It was an amazing sold out show. They had played a total of 22 songs and did a double encore. Woody (who's playing next Friday with Dave and the Volunteers) had joined in on a couple songs.

The setlist was great. I was also definitely surprised how many older songs they cranked out for the show.

Here's the setlist:

Easy Street
Somebody To Shove
Misery > Silly Love Songs
Lately
Black Gold
Grounded
String of Pearls
New World
Keep It Up
Tied To The Tracks
Just Like Anyone
Hope
Passing Sad Daydream
Without A Trace
Bus Named Desire
Stand Up And Be Strong (with Benny and Susan)

Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Closer To The Stars

Cruel Intentions (with Woody and Susan)
Candy From A Stranger
Slowly Rising

It was also great meeting everyone; Chad, Judith, Todd, Andrew, Tracy, Michelle, Kelli, Scott, and everyone else. Hope to see you all again soon.

Well it's time for me to get some much needed sleep. I only got about 6 hours in since Thursday morning.
Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

that was an awesome show !! Great to see/meet some of the fellow forum folk too (I'm bad at names, sorry)!

Would like to add some archival info on that setlist and about the songs played, for anyone interested (or not): :D

Easy Street (last time played Nov 6th, 1993)
Somebody To Shove
Misery > Silly Love Songs
Lately
Black Gold
Grounded (last time played - Feb 28th, 2001, before that was 1998)
String of Pearls
New World
Keep It Up (last time played - 12/31/98, before that was 1994)
Tied To The Tracks (last time played - Sept 4th, 1995)
Just Like Anyone
Hope (last time played March 28th, 1994)
Passing Sad Daydream (last time played, electric full band - June 10th, 2000)
Without A Trace
Bus Named Desire
Stand Up and Be Strong (with guest guitarists etc, 7 ppl total on stage?)

Encores #1:
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Closer To The Stars

Encores #2:
Cruel Intentions
Candy From A Stranger
Slowly Rising
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over