2008 June, 21st - RibFest, Kansas City, MO

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

2008 June, 21st - RibFest, Kansas City, MO

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Here's a link to a show preview item on Soul Asylum in the June 16 issue of Pitch (a free Kansas City weekly). It's the first item in the Critic's Choice column of the music section of Pitch and was written by Danny Alexander.

http://www.pitch.com/2008-06-19/music/soul-asylum/

Finally, some love for Soul Asylum -- and there's no mention of surrendering to the status of "nostalgia act!" :)

I'm looking forward to Saturday and will post a show report on Monday.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: Goin' to Kansas City (June 21 show)

Post by norma023 »

here's a review and a setlist for the Kansas City show

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2008/06/ ... um_and.php

Make sure you view the slide show!
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Ok...

I am not familiar with "Gone 'til November;" what cd is that on?
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Sometime to Return wrote:Ok...

I am not familiar with "Gone 'til November;" what cd is that on?
That's a cover of Wyclef Jean's song. They've been playing it fairly regularly since the CFAS days. I always love hearing that one, although personally I wish they'd bring back waterfalls.

Phil

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

They put on a GREAT show. I probably would have loved it no matter what because I hadn't seen them since the xmas show and I was DYING for a concert, but they were truly in top form.

The audience was not ideal, but it never really is at those rib fest type shows. They had one of those VIP areas, which meant that it wasn't as crowded as it could have been in front of the stage. (But of course, I was happy that I was able to get perfect position. :) )

They had plenty of jokes and it was just such a high energy set. I was particularly happy to hear Closer to the Stars. And Gone 'til November was another highlight. I just love the contrasts in that song between the sweet melodic beginning and the noisy guitar section, but this time they really seemed to take it up a notch.

Dave's hair is longer than it's been for a while and aside from looking really cute, it's fun to watch his hair swing around when he is thrashing all over the stage.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

What an incredible show! All the guys were full of energy and seemed to be having a blast. The last show I saw was good, but this show was in another league. If the show last fall was a 4 cylinder, this show was a souped-up V8 muscle car.

The sun was glaring, so all the guy wore sunglasses on stage. Dave danced and spun around and headbanged so enthusiastically that he sent his sunglasses flying off his face several times. During Without a Trace, Dave spun around so wildly that he nearly whacked Dan with his guitar.

Dave and even Dan told so many corny jokes that some loudmouth in General Admission yelled out, "Enough with the jokes already!" No one else seemed to mind, though.

Sometime to Return: I must disagree with you about All is Well. The album version is good, but it is so much better live. What a rush!

Some highlights:
-- playing Runaway Train as if it were a rocker instead of a ballad. Last fall, they played RT with an air of cheerful resignation to duty, but this time they made it seem fresh and seemed to have fun doing it.

--They went crazy with Cartoon. They all just jammed out together on it -- all four of them playing off each other with so much energy and enthusiasm. They followed this with a rowdy, hard-rocking version of Gone Til November (instead of the romantic-ballad version they played last time they were here).

--At one point, Dave and Dan one-upped each other with dueling guitar runs.

--Guy in audience to George: "Can I buy you a beer?"
George: "You are wonderful, man, but I'm good right now."

--Dave promising a family with young daughters, "I've used up my quota of foul language for the show."

--Dave's performance of the last verse of Stand Up and Be Strong (the part of the song I like). He sang it in a goofy, childlike voice and hammed it up with such a silly, playful, charming performance that I view the entire song more fondly now.

--On an immature note: I was standing at the rail between Reserved section and the stage just to my left of center stage. At one point, Dave wandered over to the edge of the stage near where I was standing. I watched his hands while he played acoustic guitar. Then he flipped up his guitar at an angle toward him and suddenly I could see skin where his inner thigh showed through the ripped-out crotch of his jeans. I managed not to gawk (too much) and looked away. Then I realized, Dave Pirner just flashed me. :lol: :oops: Not on purpose, obviously, and not just me. Dave flashed about a half dozen of us at that section of the railing. And he did it three or four more times during the show.

After the show, I met up with my friend again and told her what happened. She said, "I believe it. When he bent over earlier, I could see the band of either ugly underwear or a jock strap. Later I decided he was wearing a jock strap because of all the holes in his jeans."

Jock Strap v. Ugly Underwear: who knows? All I actually saw was a little thigh. ;)

Dave should probably get some new jeans.

All in all, Soul Asylum kicked ass. They performed with such high energy, fun, and pure joy. They rocked the rafters.

If that stupid reviewer of the Fargo show had seen SA in Kansas City, he wouldn't have suggested SA resign themselves to being a half-assed, sleepwalking nostalgia act. They have too much energy and too much creativity for that.

Soul Asylum still has so much to give. I can't wait to see what they do next.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Dave should probably get some new jeans.
Bite your tongue! Next someone will suggest Dave should cut his hair. Gasp!

CrazyLittleWoman, I don't know how I missed you. I looked around to see if I could recognize some die-hard fan that might be you, but I guess I just should have gone around asking people!

But you totally captured the show - it's like they took a great show and then just cranked everything up 15% more: Extra whirling on Cartoon, extra thrashing about on Without a Trace; extra hip wiggles on Bittersweetheart; extra noise on Gone 'til November. And there was really good chemistry between Dave and Danny, and Dave was in particularly strong voice.

I hadn't originally planned on traveling to this show, but I am soooo glad I did.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I just saw some clips on youtube from this show but they're not too great. It's good to hear that you people had fun.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Dave should probably get some new jeans.
Bite your tongue! Next someone will suggest Dave should cut his hair. Gasp!
Heaven forbid! Not me. I love it that Dave's growing out his hair. It's fun watching him flinging his hair around.

Hey, I only suggested Dave get new jeans in regard to any modest concerns he might have. If I were still in my 20s, I would have been trying to get a better look instead respecting Dave's privacy. ;)
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:CrazyLittleWoman, I don't know how I missed you. I looked around to see if I could recognize some die-hard fan that might be you, but I guess I just should have gone around asking people!

But you totally captured the show - it's like they took a great show and then just cranked everything up 15% more: Extra whirling on Cartoon, extra thrashing about on Without a Trace; extra hip wiggles on Bittersweetheart; extra noise on Gone 'til November. And there was really good chemistry between Dave and Danny, and Dave was in particularly strong voice.

I hadn't originally planned on traveling to this show, but I am soooo glad I did.
Thanks. I almost included a highlight note about the hip-wiggling extravaganza (which I greatly appreciated) that was Bittersweetheart. It's my all-time favorite SA song anyway, but what a blast! I told my non-fan friend that this was my fav and she said, "I can see why." (This was right before I abandoned her to move down front.)

Miss Fitt, where were you? I would have loved to meet another fan, especially someone from this site. It would have been fun to hang out with another enthusiast.

There were a couple of die-hard, dancing, whooping fans down to the right of me. I kept wishing I had stood next to them because they were very lively. Were you one of them? The guy was wearing a boot cast, but it didn't seem to slow him down much.

I was just to the left of center stage at the very front railing. I am a short woman with short dark hair. I was wearing jeans and a white top with spaghetti straps. I was singing along to every song and dancing badly, but with great joy.

Oh, and I was standing right next to the family to whom Dave dedicated the song. He thought they were there waiting for Los Lonely Boys, but actually the dad had been standing near me at the rail for the whole SA show.
Last edited by CrazyLittleWoman on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Closer wrote:I just saw some clips on youtube from this show but they're not too great. It's good to hear that you people had fun.
Yeah, the video and audio on those clips is pretty bad and they make the performance seem a little anemic, but if you focus on Dave during the guitar section of Gone 'til November and use your imagination a little, you might get some sense of what it was like from the audience inside the fence. Egads, what a blast it was.