2008 June 26th - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
cujofats
O'Jeezer

2008 June 26th - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

Post by cujofats »

Here's the set list for the HOB L.A. show June 26th, 2008. This was part of the Sunset Strip Music Festival. Everclear was the headliner, with Camper Van Beethoven opening the show and Soul Asylum in the middle spot. Both Camper and Soul Asylum got 45 minute sets with no encore. Soul Asylum brought out violinist Jesse Green for 2 songs. I saw at least 4 people filming with pro gear so maybe some of the footage will turn up.
1. Somebody To Shove
2. All Is Well
3. Misery
4. Lately
5. Without A Trace
6. Black Gold w/Jesse
7. See You Later
8. Watcha Need
9. Cartoon
10. Sometime To Return
11. Stand Up & Be Strong w/Jesse

messy
Brand New Shine

Re: June 26th-House Of Blues, Los Angeles

Post by messy »

notice there was no runaway train. i almost got in a fight with this dude who had the nerve to say (to michael bland, no less) "how can a one hit wonder not play their one hit?" i tried to reason with him..."if you wrote a thousand fantastic songs, how would you feel if (obnoxious) people always called out for one silly song?", but he was still being a butthead so i kinda told him he could stfu or we could take it outside :lol:

jessie was a great addition. but where was that adorable tour manager that they usually bring out for stand up and be strong??
Last edited by messy on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

thanks for the report/review Cujo! Too bad you saw such a short set, but when can you do (expect) in a setting like this with someone else headlining. Did you make it to Vegas at all??

hmmm, "adorable" tour manager joining on stage for Stand Up, not sure who that is. :P
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

messy wrote:i almost got in a fight with this dude who had the nerve to say (to michael bland, no less) "how can a one hit wonder not play their one hit?"
Soul Asylum is NOT a one-hit wonder! What an a*hole.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

lune ellise wrote:
messy wrote:i almost got in a fight with this dude who had the nerve to say (to michael bland, no less) "how can a one hit wonder not play their one hit?"
Soul Asylum is NOT a one-hit wonder! What an a*hole.
Of course they are not, but for a lot of people they are. In my country Runaway Train is the only song that made it into the charts so they are considered a classic one-hit wonder band.
But the other singles from GDU did well in the charts in America and I believe that Misery sold more copies in America than Runaway Train did so technically they can't even be a one-hit wonder. But who cares anyway?

Anyway, I think it's good that they left Runaway Train out of it. I don't think they play many shows without it.

cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

Maybe Messy is thinking of Susan....wasn't she part of the crew with Benny & Kyle?....

Norma023-No, I did not make it out for the Vegas show this time around. I'm hoping to catch them one more time before the summer is over though. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll add a bay area show. Otherwise the Montana date is the closest to me.

Regarding the L.A. songs--there were 3 more on the set list, Runaway Train, Bus Named Desire and Just Like Anyone. Runaway is on the list after Black Gold, but Dave was having some kind of tech problems with both his acoustic guitars. I assume that's why they dropped it. (Jon was down in front, he may have seen more of what was going on with that situation) after that I think they simply ran out of time and had to drop other songs. Camper Van Beethoven, who were great by the way, also had the 45 minute cap and they commented that it was a little weird, although they were glad to be there.

After Soul Asylum's set I noticed someone had written a note on a napkin that was left near the bar. I kept it just because it was odd. It says "The only shit like this is great-like they're out Huskering Husker Du".
I know, weird, but at least it's a positive (I think)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

messy

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:31 pm

notice there was no runaway train. i almost got in a fight with this dude who had the nerve to say (to michael bland, no less) "how can a one hit wonder not play their one hit?" i tried to reason with him..."if you wrote a thousand fantastic songs, how would you feel if (obnoxious) people always called out for one silly song?", but he was still being a butthead so i kinda told him he could stfu or we could take it outside
Either laugh because this dude is such a punk and tell him to go find his balls or tell him to STFU and take it outside.

Any guy that wants to hear "runaway train" because that is the only song they know needs to go find their SACK anyways.

P.S. I am not ripping "RT"; I enjoy the song more now than I did when it first came but if it's not in the setlist I am not disappointed. Although, my wife does like to hear it.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

inasimplerhyme
Runaway

Post by inasimplerhyme »

A great show, as always. Too short of course, but I'm just grateful I get to hear them play!

I've uploaded some photos of the show to my myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/cuthbert84

"Adorable tour manager" - if you mean the guy usually wearing a baseball hat, glasses and beard, then you mean Benny. I'm not sure where he was, either. He posts on this forum occasionally.

Guitar problems - I'm afraid I'm not sure what the problem was, exactly. I'm not a guitarist, so it wasn't plainly obviously to me. I was guessing that the guitar simply wasn't coming out of the mains.

It was nice hearing, "See You Later". I haven't heard that in a while. (All though I would practically kill to hear them do, "Freaks." ) :)

- Jon

...or "The Game." I love that song.