2008 July 9th - Chastain Park Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
erocmann
Inmate

2008 July 9th - Chastain Park Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA

Post by erocmann »

My wife and I are making the trip from Orlando to Atlanta tomorrow to see the show, CAN'T WAIT!!! Anyone else going to that show?

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Re: ATLANTA!!!

Post by no1rockfan »

I'll be there along with Andrew (from England). I hope we can take cameras in!

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

So..............??? How was it?
Pat

downonuptome
Stranger

Post by downonuptome »

I was there really close to the stage. Here's the set list:

Somebody to Shove
All is Well
Bittersweetheart
Misery
Lately
Without a Trace
Black Gold
Cartoon
A cover of something that I don't know
Whatcha Need
Sometime to Return
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Easy Street
Just Like Anyone
Stand up and Be Strong

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

Thanks for the setlist, the "arhcives" appreciate it!!

Another Easy Street..... :shock: Got 1 more day until I see them....
:D
downonuptome wrote:I was there really close to the stage. Here's the set list:
<snip>
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Hi,

I’m Andrew the crazy English Guy that has been over in the USA following another couple of SA Shows this summer, I see I have been mentioned a few times on this forum, sorry that I had no time to post on the board myself, I think the last time I made a post was when I was over in Minneapolis for the Holiday show in December. Arrived back in England around 12 Hours ago and can’t sleep at the moment as I’m trying to get over my Jetlag, not helped by the fact that I’ve been out all night in Liverpool seeing a Goo Goo Dolls show! It was good but can’t compete with a SA Show except it's Made to be broken!

Can’t believe that the Atlanta show was only 48 hrs ago It was probably that best show I’ve seen outside of Minnesota, the band were so full of energy, the pouring rain really added to the atmosphere and the Atlanta crowd were really into it. During the Gin Blossoms set I was worried that the majority of the crowd were there for the Gin Blossoms despite them being the openers , and while I really enjoyed the Blossom set, once Soul Asylum came on it was a totally different energy level! The only disappointment was it was a slightly shorter set list than many of the shows that I’ve seen but they kept the main core of their recent set lists although It was a shame that Oxygen was omitted.

Was so great meeting some of you over in the USA once again, Lance and Sarah in Pittsburgh and erocmann it must have been you that Gail and I were talking to from Orlando in Atlanta, Great to meet you and your wife! Thanks Gail for showing me around your hometown Atlanta and transport to and from the show! George if you read this forum it was great to meet you again, must look up the tomatoes!

Last but not least, Judith and Pat it was great to meet you again this time in Pittsburgh Thanks for everything and hopefully we will hook up someday at another show!

Anyway think I must try and get some sleep now had about 4 hours in 2 days! norma023 and those of you going to Rochester tomorrow enjoy the show, wish I could be there, say hello to the guys from me!!

Andrew

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

I am just recovering from the show last week. I have fibromyalgia and dancing, jumping and standing for the entire show killed my legs for days. It was cool to hang out with Andrew again, and we had fun going up to the top of the Westin hotel to see Atlanta's 360 degree view.

The show was awesome as usual. Soul Asylum have great fans in Atlanta, and although the show was far from a sell-out, the fans that were there had a great time! Unfortunately the steady rain lost some people, but that's the risk with outside venues. I hope they get an inside venue next time -- it's been years. Variety Playhouse would be about the right size.

Dave was in great form, and said he wants a Fender sponsorship. I'd love to help set this up. No jokes that I heard, maybe erockmann did. I usually can't hear much close to the stage anyhow. The whole band were right on, and Tommy adds quite a different feel to the show than George.

I verified that Danny is remarried. He seems real happy about it.

The band didn't have another show for a few days. I wonder if Dan goes antiquing in Atlanta. They usually have an extra day here in most cases, so that could explain them returning fairly often.

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

It was an awesome show despite the shorter set list and pouring rain. My wife and I had a great time, though they didn’t play “our” song once again. It was great meeting Andrew and Gail. Gail got some excellent video; Dave even played up to the camera a bit. The sound was kind of muddy, I’m not sure if that was due to the rain, the sound guys or the venue as I have never been there before so don’t have anything to compare it to. Dave was certainly in great form but there weren’t any real jokes. He did have some tongue-in-cheek complaints about not getting a fender sponsorship and that he has been waiting 3 months (or maybe weeks) for a guitar that he ordered and paid for from them. He later complained about not having a Gibson sponsorship either. At one point, I believe it was during Misery, he stepped back while the crowd sang nearly an entire verse. After the song he said “We’re not use to that,” though I’m not sure was he was referring to. On the drive home, my wife and I were talking about where we should travel to next to see them as it appears as though they won’t be coming to Florida any time soon. Though I doubt we’ll be able to afford another trip this year, we’re hoping they’ll still be playing fairly regularly next year. So, my question to anyone reading this is: In your opinion, where’s the best venue/city, that SA plays with some regularity, to see them?

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

erocmann

So, my question to anyone reading this is: In your opinion, where’s the best venue/city, that SA plays with some regularity, to see them?
Erocmann;

Good question. Anytime you see Soul Asylum is a great time. Short set list, long set list, in the rain, in the mud, with green eggs and ham. Doesn't matter.

But; I think the December show is Minneapolis is the best venue to see them. First of all; it's at First Avenue-- enough said. It's an indoor venue, gets extremely loud and they play with a lot of energy. They sell it out every year; they headline the show, they play a longer set list, they still have a huge following from their "hometown fans", they pull out all the stops etc...

Here is the set list from the 12//21/07 show their. See the bold songs below. These aren't in every set list.
Easy Street
Somebody To Shove
Misery > Silly Love Songs
Lately
Black Gold
Grounded
String of Pearls
New World
Keep It Up
Tied To The Tracks

Just Like Anyone
Hope (replacements cover)
Passing Sad Daydream
Without A Trace
Bus Named Desire
Stand Up And Be Strong
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Closer To The Stars
Cruel Intentions
Candy From A Stranger
Slowly Rising

In case you haven't heard; it gets cold here in Minnesota in December.
Now; you have to ask yourself. Do I want to leave warm sunny florida and travel to not so warm :D Minnesota?
If not; see them as much as you can, who knows how much longer they are going to keep playing.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

My wife's originally from Minnesota and still has a lot of family living in the Minneapolis area, so the destination makes sense for us. As far as the weather, like you said who knows how long they'll keep playing, so I'd deal with the cold for another chance to see them play live!