2008 July 12th - St. John's, Rochester, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

2008 July 12th - St. John's, Rochester, MN

Post by Sometime to Return »

Welcome home boys!! Rest up.

Looking forward to a great show in Rochester. My last concert was the Christmas show in December; one of the best Soul Asylum shows I have seen, so my expectations are extremely high.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: Rochester-- July 12th, 2008

Oops...One more thing.

It appears "Sometime to return" is on regular rotation, let's keep it that way. ;)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

I'm going, anyone else??

STR? Awesome live yes, but how about Easy Street, that's been played twice now this week. Now if they happen to break out Tied To The Tracks again, I'll be in heaven! :D
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

ojsteelers169
Stranger

Post by ojsteelers169 »

I think Something out of Nothing is a great live song.....

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Make it three times this week! Oh what a great show! So much energy!

I wasn't going to go, but a friend cancelled at the last minute, had to work an emergency shift that evening, and asked me if I wanted her ticket. Hell ya! I hightailed it up there as fast as I could...still not fast enough. I missed the first 40 or so minutes so I don't even know what I missed, but as I speedwalked up to St. John's, Easy Street was blaring! I never did get to see them perform it...but hearing it definitely set my mood on high for the rest of the night. :D

Sorry I don't remember the order in which the songs were played, and I don't have a setlist, but from what I do remember, they are

Easy Street
Oxygen
Gone til November
Watcha Need
Cartoon
Just Like Anyone
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Stand Up and Be Strong

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

sayeeda

Sorry I don't remember the order in which the songs were played, and I don't have a setlist, but from what I do remember, they are
No problem. Let me help; the set list in order.

Somebody to shove
All is well
Bittersweet heart
Misery
Lately
Without a trace
Blackgold
New world
Easy street
Oxygen
Cartoon
Gone til november
Whatcha need
Never really been
Runaway train
Long hair country boy (opening verse only...cover song)
Just like anyone
Stand up and be strong.

Observations, ramblings and thoughts from an idiot...

No Benny or Kyle sightings. At these events; everyone is scheduled for their time slot, so you hope to get on time. My geuss was Soul Asylum was from 8-930. They didn't get on until about 810. Not sure who the set up crew was; but it didn't appear to the regular crew and the appeared to be having problems getting everything set up.

Prior to the show I asked Dan how he was doing energy wise becuase they have been playing so much. He said he was doing alright but had a bit of a cold. He was wearing a shirt that said "Stu."

They jammed alot; alot more than usual. The bittersweet, Just like anyone and whatcha need jams were especially awesome.

Dave asked for a shout out to Karl prior to playing Without a trace. I thought that was awesome; that song has such a powerful bass line and when I hear it I immediately think of Karl.

Tommy was wearng a sports jacket; not sure why.

I spoke with Dan after the show; he said Tommy is on bass the rest of this tour. So; if you are seeing them later this summer, now you know. I like George and and have met him but Tommy brings a different diimension to the live show versus George. Does anyone what to discuss/ start a thread on that?

The ending of the show was the coolest I have ever seen. If you would have told me 12/ 15/ 18 years ago that Soul Asylum would end a show like that; I would have thought you were crazy. They always had fun but were also very serious about putting on a great show (which they did last night); but Dave brought up 5 year old Eli for the ending of stand up and be strong.

Eli walks out in a New Orleans Saints t-shirt; head phones on his head and is singing as he is walking out, Dave put his guitar around him and Dan (pretty cool thing you did there; Mr. Murphy) lowered his mic and the 3 of them were singing "stand up and be strong it won't take long, stand up and be strong," over and over. Dan and Dave were kneeled on the ground and Dave was staring right at Eli; smiliing at him like any proud parent. What a thrill as a parent; to be able to share that with your kid. It was so cool; (i'm cutting a vein here) it brought tears to my eyes.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

A couple more things...

Dave; you had the wrong football teams name on Eli's t-shirt. :D

For the ladies out there...my wife so eloquently pointed out to me with a big smile on here face, that Dave's pants were torn...well, in a region of his anatomny that broght a big smile to her face. I found this pretty humorous.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Sometime to Return wrote:A couple more things...

:D

For the ladies out there...my wife so eloquently pointed out to me with a big smile on here face, that Dave's pants were torn...well, in a region of his anatomny that broght a big smile to her face. I found this pretty humorous.
Yeah and when he swings his guitar its quite noticable!! Last 2 concerts I've been since September he's had those jeans on! He looks quite comfy in them but its almost time for a new pair because the hole is getting bigger!
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Twiddly Dee wrote:
Sometime to Return wrote:A couple more things...

:D

Yeah and when he swings his guitar its quite noticable!! Last 2 concerts I've been since September he's had those jeans on! He looks quite comfy in them but its almost time for a new pair because the hole is getting bigger!
Yeah, when he flipped up his guitar, he practically flashed me more than once last month at KC Ribfest (made me smile and blush), but Miss Fitt protested when I suggested he might need a new pair of jeans! :)

P.S. Sometime to Return: Thanks for your entire report. :) Sounds like it was a blast.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
Yeah, when he flipped up his guitar, he practically flashed me more than once last month at KC Ribfest (made me smile and blush), but Miss Fitt protested when I suggested he might need a new pair of jeans! :)
[/quote]

I just hope he has a new pair of jeans for the show on Friday. Unlike some people on this board, some things I just don't want to see. I'm almost tempted to bring a spare pair of jeans in case they're too bad. Toss them on stage for him, although I'm sure others at the show might protest that. . .

Phil