2008 July 19th - Aquapalooza, Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

2008 July 19th - Aquapalooza, Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Man...where do I begin. It was a very hot day out there if you weren't in the water. When we 1st got there we were disappointed to see how the stage was set up. You were suppose to be able to see the band play if you stayed on land, but that wasn't the case. Even one of the employes of Coconuts on the lake told us that they were told that the stage was going to be set up different then it was. So if you weren't on a boat or if you didn't float your butt out to in front of the stage they were gonna be hard to see. We got there around noon which was way too early because Soul Asylum didn't play until 5pm, so we just tried to stay cool until then. Around 4:30 I needed to run back to the car, so I hitched a ride with a guy that worked there on his cart. Which was the best ride I could of hitched!! We pull around a corner and who's coming towards me but Dan! So I whip out my husbands Time's Incinerator for him to Autograph! I ask him where's Dave because I need his too, told me he was coming out of the tour bus in a few, so the guy driving says "To the tour bus" and off we go! Dave is just coming around the corner of the bus when we get there, So I beg Dave to come over and give me his autograph and he does. He makes comment about Times incinerator, told him we got it from Ebay for $8, hes like man its worth more than that. Don't I know it I say. But its the only place we could find it. My husband had been looking of it for years and would of probably paid a pretty penny for it if he had found it sooner. After I get back from the car my husband doesn't believe I actually got both their autographs, says I just scribbled on it myself, until I showed him my proof!

Thanks Dan!
DSCF2008.JPG
DSCF2008.JPG (56.69 KiB) Viewed 22524 times
Thanks Dave!
DSCF2009.JPG
DSCF2009.JPG (98.35 KiB) Viewed 22523 times

And here's my best recollection of the setlist, I missed what the 1st song was because me and my 13yr old son were paddling our butts out on our little tubes to the front of the stage! But heres what I can in my particular order!

All is Well
Misery
Bittersweetheart
Lately
Whatcha Need* After this song Dave says what we need is a guitar solo and he gives us one!
Black Gold
Runaway Train
Without a Trace
New World
Summer of Drugs
*Beach Boys- Wipeout
Oxygen
Rhubish* They claim to make up right then and there for us
Closer to the Stars
Just Like Anyone
Stand up and be Strong * With Benny & a guy from New Orleans (missed his name)

Oh and somewhere in there they attempted to whistle the theme song to Gilligan's Island! I was sad when it was over, but even sadder when Dave, Dan, and Tommy got on a boat instead of coming back on land! My son is on a mission to get all of the band to sign his hat. He got Dave's at Ribfest in Kansas City, MO last month, so it didn't seem like he would be getting any this trip. We caught sight of Michael Bland making his way back up and with the help of Benny my son got him to sign his hat! So thanks Benny! 2 down, at least 2 more to go!
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: July 19th Aquapalooza at The Ozarks

Post by norma023 »

awesome report and pictures! Sounds like you had lots of fun too!

Rather odd set up though, the stage was out in the water somewhere and you had to get there (via whatever watercraft methods available) and just sit there floating around for the whole show :?:
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

norma023 wrote:awesome report and pictures! Sounds like you had lots of fun too!

Rather odd set up though, the stage was out in the water somewhere and you had to get there (via whatever watercraft methods available) and just sit there floating around for the whole show :?:
Yeah if you didn't have a boat you were stuck in the water if you wanted a good view. The stage wasn't too far out, it was just that inbetween the land and the stage they had set up the sound equipment under canopies and they blocked the view of the stage. They did give away those little round tubes to everyone, so that was nice. I think the band even got a kick out of it, Dave at one point even said " Whoa thats the 1st time I've ever been rocked by the stage"!

My son and I only went out in the water for Soul Asylum's performance and by the end of it we were wrinkly prunes. Wish I could of gotten some more pictures but I didn't think about taking a water proof camera of course! Oh well hopefully they come back our way again...and soon!

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Right now I'm going to focus on the stand-out moment of the show and give my full report tomorrow. This is also partly in response to some of the speculations in the July 18 show reports.

SOMEBODY HAS DEFINITELY BEEN READING OUR MAIL, PEOPLE! If not initially Dave himself, then someone directly connected with SA has been reading our board and brought Dave's attention to our recent discussions. And they seem to have been reading in enough detail to work out that Tweedly Dee and I are the primary offenders in these discussions and that we were both going to be at the Aquapalooza show.

Something Dave did early in the show makes it clear that he is aware of our collective fixation on his nearly-crotchless jeans and is having a little fun with us about it.

Tweedly Dee: Maybe you didn't see what Dave did because you didn't mention it in your report. I hope you did see it, though, because I'm pretty sure Dave intended it especially for the two of us.

Dave was wearing different jeans. They had the classic ripped-out knees, but also some threadbare places on the legs and near the back pocket that I don't remember seeing on the jeans he wore in KC last month. I intended to ask Phil if he really tossed Dave a spare pair on Friday. :)

He did it during All is Well (the second song of the set) after he went over by Tommy. With a gigantic grin on his face, Dave very deliberately raised his guitar up to his chest and thrust his hips forward as if to say, "Look, Ma, no holes!" The jeans were intact.

Cheeky spoilsport! ;)

"It's almost as if someone said something to him about those jeans," I said to my friend at the time.

"He really does seem to be making sure everyone can get a good look at his pants," she said.

If that wasn't a direct response to our comments, I don't know what is.

On Sunday, I quickly read through the July 18 show reports to confirm my suspicions. I was right: Dave was still wearing his regular jeans the night before the Lake of the Ozarks show.

It seems like Dave planned his little surprise for Aquapalooza as a sort of shout-out to the Kansas City women.

Tweedly Dee: Dave mage a big gesture especially for us! Wasn't that sweet? It might have been more flattering if he'd settled the Great Underwear Question for us instead. ;) Maybe next time.

Even if his stunt wasn't really meant specifically for the KC women, Dave was obviously responding to our collective comments on this board.

The upside is that Dave's apparently amused enough to make a joke about it for us.

The downside is that this isn't how I would have chosen to come to the attention of my favorite songwriter. I might have preferred to appear as if I actually have a brain in my hormone-addled head. :)

And then there's the demoralizing realization that I may be the first woman in history to get a rock star to COVER UP his crotch. Ouch! :(

A friend once asked me if I thought anyone in SA read our site or posted here under an assumed name. At the time, I said, "I'm sure they're too busy playing and writing music to care about some fansite." The certainty that no one in the band would ever know about any of this (and that I would probably never meet any of you) was what allowed me to make all those foolish, giggly-girl comments about Dave in the first place.

Oops!

It's a small fucking world after all.

So, Dave (or whoever), in case you're doing any follow-up reading:

Thanks for the un-flash. Cute, Pirner, very cute!

You know, I never would have suggested you get different jeans if I'd thought you might actually do it! ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

That was one the first thing I noticed when I got up to the stage. I was like wait a minute those holes aren't right! I did notice when he went up to Tommy and was swinging his hips that he seemed to be showing off that there wasn't a hole. Very cute indeed! I was beginning to wonder if he had a closet full of jeans that were all exactly alike! But hey you know I'm all for the holey jeans. I have a couple of pair myself that I just love to wear. And you know he could wear them until they are about to fall off for all I care! :mrgreen:

Where were you Crazy...I looked for someone who was singing as loud and with as much enthusiasm as me to every song but I didn't see anyone who I thought would be a TRUE Soul Asylum fan. Me and my son were the only ones to the right of Tommy in the water.

Oh and yeah I think there is an insider on here. Im sure someone could verify that for us, unless they aren't suppose to give them away! But I have seen postings on here by a Benny! I wonder if thats THE BENNY that performs with them In Stand up and be Strong! I bet it is! Very small world indeed!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:He did it during All is Well (the second song of the set) after he went over by Tommy. With a gigantic grin on his face, Dave very deliberately raised his guitar up to his chest and thrust his hips forward as if to say, "Look, Ma, no holes!" The jeans were intact.
Dave also did something similar at the Waukesha show, but he showed his holes (though you can't them because of the monitors).
airguitar.jpg
airguitar.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 22338 times
Twiddly Dee wrote:Oh and yeah I think there is an insider on here. Im sure someone could verify that for us, unless they aren't suppose to give them away! But I have seen postings on here by a Benny! I wonder if thats THE BENNY that performs with them In Stand up and be Strong! I bet it is! Very small world indeed!
Yes, that would be the same Benny. I'm not sure if it he's the one providing Dave with this inside info about his pants (or if anyone is at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone is). ;)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Twiddly Dee wrote:Oh and yeah I think there is an insider on here. Im sure someone could verify that for us, unless they aren't suppose to give them away! But I have seen postings on here by a Benny! I wonder if thats THE BENNY that performs with them In Stand up and be Strong! I bet it is! Very small world indeed!
Yes, that would be the same Benny. I'm not sure if it he's the one providing Dave with this inside info about his pants (or if anyone is at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone is). ;)
I thought he just went by "that adorable guitar tech" or whatever it was that was said before...

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Tweedly Dee: Dave mage a big gesture especially for us! Wasn't that sweet? It might have been more flattering if he'd settled the Great Underwear Question for us instead. ;) Maybe next time.
Which is the underwear question? How can their be one when they're out all the time? ;)

When I saw them in Boston....way more than a year ago, egad..Dave came out with his pants all the way undone, flashed the audience for a whole song, and then when he noticed he MOVED the guitar, POINTED OUT his open fly, commented, Dan commented, then he hid behind the guitar to button up, as if we hadn't already all checked out his underwear for the last ten minutes.

His briefs get flashed at the front row, and his boxers hang over the top, and really Soul Asylum fans probably have way too much info about Daves undergarments. :lol:

So what was the question?

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

sheryl wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Tweedly Dee: Dave mage a big gesture especially for us! Wasn't that sweet? It might have been more flattering if he'd settled the Great Underwear Question for us instead. ;) Maybe next time.
Which is the underwear question? How can their be one when they're out all the time? ;)

When I saw them in Boston....way more than a year ago, egad..Dave came out with his pants all the way undone, flashed the audience for a whole song, and then when he noticed he MOVED the guitar, POINTED OUT his open fly, commented, Dan commented, then he hid behind the guitar to button up, as if we hadn't already all checked out his underwear for the last ten minutes.

His briefs get flashed at the front row, and his boxers hang over the top, and really Soul Asylum fans probably have way too much info about Daves undergarments. :lol:

So what was the question?

I guess the question would be why are we obsessed with his holey jeans!!! LOL

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote:

So, what was the question?
After the KC Ribfest show, I told my friend (whom I had abandoned to go down front) about how Dave had flashed me several times during the show (although I only saw a little inner thigh :(). She said she wasn't surprised because she had noticed his open-air jeans. Earlier when Dave bent over, she had seen the band of (and this is a direct quote), "either a jock strap or really ugly underwear."

Since all I saw was skin, I couldn't solve the mystery.

I saw SA live for the first time last October, so I had no idea what an exhibitionist Dave is or that apparently everyone (but me) has seen his undies.

Now it seems doubly unfair that he chose to un-flash us this time. It's almost rude, in fact. ;)

P.S. I really do have a show report to post, but I have limited computer access right now. And ya'll know how long-winded I am. (I prefer to think of it as part of my charm. ;) Oh, just let me have it, will you? :))
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)