2008 July 25 - Lumberjack Days, Stillwater, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
mikeage
Marionette

Re: July 25 - Lumberjack Days - Stillwater, MN

Post by mikeage »

benzo
Lone Rider

Post by benzo »

I was at the show...it was a lot of fun. My wife and I arrived in Stillwater just in time to hear the sirens going off just as we walked into downtown, and took shelter just before the wind and rain hit. In the middle of the show, Dave busted out a few classic Mitch Hedberg jokes. It was fun to hear my favorite frontman telling jokes by my favorite comedian. I was the annoying guy screaming "we love mitch hedberg" for those that may have heard...sorry about that. There was also a cover of Jonny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" with the Train lyrics changed to "boat", (or barge?). Pretty funny stuff.

Finally, (and maybe this is standard fare nowadays) but his duet with his son on "stand up and be strong" was pretty cool. Here's hoping they swing through town again soon.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Thanks for the great pictures and video. I'll never pass up a chance to see Bittersweetheart. Seeing that hip wiggle makes my heart happy every time. ;)

But what was with the crowd? Who can stand still for Easy Street? I'm a menace when I'm listening to it at home alone.

Seems like this was a great show. Thanks for the reports.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

mikeage
Marionette

Post by mikeage »

dan or dave said "this song goes out to everyone that loves punk rock" i thought it was going to be their cover of descendents "hope", so i was digging my camera out of my pocket in a hurry, ended up being easy street. i don't know if that was some humor in the punk rock reference or what but ya, easy street is a great song, too bad it was the only thing off and the horse they played.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

CrazyLittleWoman
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks for the great pictures and video. I'll never pass up a chance to see Bittersweetheart. Seeing that hip wiggle makes my heart happy every time.

This struck me as being so funny; I just spit coffee all over my monitor. :lol: For what it's worth on the video; I am in backwards red hat with my wife (Sara) to my left (the blonde). During Dave's best Elvis Presely impersonation; I lean to the left 3/4 times to hear what she had to say...the only I could make out is that my new name is "dave" and "i'm hot." :P :P :P

mikeage
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 pm

dan or dave said "this song goes out to everyone that loves punk rock" ended up being easy street.

It was Dan. He used the same line two weeks ago in Rochester.

benzo
here was also a cover of Jonny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" with the Train lyrics changed to "boat", (or barge?). Pretty funny stuff.

I am glad someone else caught that as well. I am a huge fan of Johnny Cash; I always dig it when they play this song.

mikeage and Asylun agreeded to disagree on the show. I was somewhere in the middle. The show definately rocked but it was also a "fun" gig. Dave told more jokes than normal; the set was a little shorter than normal. I really struggled how to get my arms around the show; I enjoyed it but it was "different." The guys gave maxium effort;however, no doubt.

I serverly disliked the stage set up. I was leaning up against the rail; the closest you could be and about 4 feet below land level. I was still about 17-20 feet from the stage. The stage was about 2 feet higher than where I was standing and then there was a rail that was another 3-4 feet high. This just effected the whole experience.

I don't know if anyone else caught this; but when Dan was sitting on the speaker during the solo for blackgold he jumps down and falls down on his back. At first I thought this was kinda funny; but then he is lying there for another 45-60 seconds. My laughter soon became a concern. He did get a broken/ sprained ankle? leg? jolt to the back? But; then I saw he was still playing and just like a true professional and got to his feet in time to sing the backround vocals. Then my concern became laughter again after he was alright.

Tommy definately brings a different "attitude" to the shows.

I am sure the band couldn't tell but there were a number of younger people who were at the show; having a great time. Between the rail that I was leaning up against and the land (Wall); we were packed in like saradines. There was a group (i'd say 2 dozen or so) of 14-17 year olds to my right; who know every song which I found very cool. There was; also a group (same number) of 21-25 year olds who knew the songs as well.

The set list was all post GDU except Easy Street and Closer to the Stars. They covered Summer of Drugs as well.

We sang happy birthday to Mr. (Don) Pirner who's birhtday was the following day.

Lastily; I gushed about the ending of the show in Rochester a couple of weeks ago with how Dave interacts with Eli and he (and the band) get him involved. I have seen this four times in the last two years. It has been fun to watch Eli grow up, becoming more comfortable ever time he comes out on stage and sing. Lots to be said and without getting; well...I just want to say to Dave; thank you for doing this. It's an awesome, awesome was to end a show.

If anyone has a video of "Stand up and be strong" with Eli; please post it.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Sometime to Return wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks for the great pictures and video. I'll never pass up a chance to see Bittersweetheart. Seeing that hip wiggle makes my heart happy every time.

This struck me as being so funny; I just spit coffee all over my monitor. :lol: For what it's worth on the video; I am in backwards red hat with my wife (Sara) to my left (the blonde). During Dave's best Elvis Presely impersonation; I lean to the left 3/4 times to hear what she had to say...the only I could make out is that my new name is "dave" and "i'm hot." :P :P :P
Sorry about your monitor. Imagine me virtually handing you something to wipe it off with.

I finally saw you and Sara (well, the back of your heads), but I may have had to re-watch the video more than once to spot you. That Pirner guy is really distracting. ;)

Gush away without shame. If we ladies can spend all this time talking about Dave's holey pants, you should be able to gush about something a little more sweet. And I'd love to see video of Stand Up and Be Strong with Eli in it. So I second the motion.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

Heya, here's my belated review (have been out of town since then).

I thought it was a good show, leaning towards it being one of those "fun" shows that was mentioned earlier. I also thought it was a bit "strange" of a show, venue wise. With the stage setup like it was and water being in between the stage and the crowd.

I stayed up on the grass area, so didn't bother with that "pit". I knew what that was going to be like after ppl starting heading down there in mass after the Shook Twins set. So I was on the left side, not too far from that concrete ledge people were jumping down from to get to that lower pit area. Nice and roomy where I was. :)

Band certainly had fun, LOTS of jokes though, most I've ever heard in one concert from these guys! What else odd or impromtu......as already mentioned they played Folsom Prison Blues, or part of it. Somewhere in there before starting an acoustic guitar (for Dave) song, they did an impromtu spanish tune. Dave was explaining what all one can do with an acoustic guitar (for different types/styles of music), he touched on Country (so they did a 20 sec long country song stint), touched on a another 1 or 2 styles of music (playing examples for each type) before ending with a spanish segment (they mentioned the name, but I didn't quite catch that), where they played an example for close to a minute long.
Then of course ripped right into some song.

Didn't see any other club members other than Clammers and Tracy (you walked past me once or twice).

All in all, was glad I made the trip to this show, but alas, I'm certainly ready for a club show now though. hint hint.

:)

edit: mike, excellent pictures and video clips!!

Question though on those pictures. On that last one, of you and your friend, both smiling, do you know anything about those tipped over biffy's in the backgroud?? :shock:
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

mikeage
Marionette

Post by mikeage »

norma023 wrote:Question though on those pictures. On that last one, of you and your friend, both smiling, do you know anything about those tipped over biffy's in the backgroud??
from the 15 minute storm that put the show 1 1/2 hours behind...

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Hey Aron! Yep, the girls and I were up front. Sorry we missed ya! What a great show, but I just can't believe there isn't a Mpls show sheduled yet for the fall. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Moto Geek wrote:So I hop on the ol' puter here this morning to read everybodys "Lumberjack Days" posts and there aren't any (yet)?

Maybe those alligators that Dave mentioned snapped ya'll up and you didn't make it home to post here.

I got to meet clammers at the show. We even rode the same free shuttle on the way home. lol I saw "Promises" and her gang up front but never bumped into ya to say hi.

Soul Asylum sure seemed to have a damn good time playing this gig. Mike and Dave really joked around a lot. Tommy was doing his trademark "jump" as well. Dan enjoyed a Budweiser or two during the show and had a super cool pair of sunglasses. 8-)

Easy Street was fun to hear played again. Tommy really looked like he was having fun playing that. I think that it was during Black Gold that Dave was jumping around like a Tazmanian Devil and knocked his mike stand over.

And how about those cool tattoos we all got that proved we were there?

How do you afford your rock n' roll lifestyle?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.