2008 Sep. 27 - Taste of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Re: Sat. Sept. 27; Taste of St. Louis

Post by Twiddly Dee »

andrewttw wrote:Hi The Traveling Sisters of the Holey Jeans! & crawl.

I'm staying at the Crown Plaza seems a good location near the river & the arch and appartenly only around 10 minuete walk from where The Stage is going to be! I booked it several weeks ago and got a great advance rate of only around $70 per night, not sure if it will be as cheap booking now though.

I'm flying in from Minneapolis on Saturday due to arrive at St Louis airport around 1pm, who knows perhaps I may even be on the same flight as the band!

I plan to head down to where the Taste of St Louis is a few hours before the show to sample the food and beer! And perhaps check out the other bands so If you want to meet up a few hours before the show let me know, I've got an English cell phone with me that accepts text messages but not voice calls, so let me know if u want the number.

Andrew
Hey Andrew,

The Sisterhood would love to meet up. Im hoping we will be there around at least by 5 to walk around and get something to eat, and hoping that the band might be out mingling some before the play! Plus we want to make sure we get center stage. We are staying about 25mins from downtown, Laura had looked into closer hotels but they were either booked or way to high priced. So if you want to PM me your number I will let you know when we arrive!

P.S. Crawl if you want to PM me your number or I can send you mine (just let me know)...maybe we all can get together!

See you all soon ! !

The Traveling Sisterhood of the Holey Jeans
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Andrew & Crawl & hubby:

Let's definitely try to introduce ourselves before the show starts.

Let Rusty (Twiddly Dee) know how to contact you. We'll get in touch once we're in St. Louis.

It'll be fun to be part of the rowdy fans right down front. Y'all are planning to be rowdy, right? ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote: It'll be fun to be part of the rowdy fans right down front. Y'all are planning to be rowdy, right? ;)
Count me in!!! I'm gonna be a hootin and a hollerin ! ! LOL

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

The Sisterhood is back from the concert and it was definantly a priceless one. I will blog more about it later (its gonna be a long one), for now I just want to say I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Me and Laura had a blast the whole time. And it was great meeting you Andrew, and crawl and her husband! You all are a great group of people, a blast to hang with, and I hope we meet again at future concerts!

Rusty

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

THANK YOU NOTES

Lucy and Sometime to Return, thank you for nudging Rusty (Twiddly Dee) and me to travel together to the show. I couldn't have gone alone this time and I would have really regretted missing such a great show.

Rusty: For providing transportation and companionship. Thanks for making our adventure possible.

Andrew, Meg (Crawl), & Scott: It was great fun meeting you and sharing the show and aftermath with you.

Meg: Thanks for getting me a copy of the set list, complete with dirty shoe prints and the black tape still attached.

Andrew: A special thanks for your kindness in including us.

THE SET LIST

Bittersweetheart
All is Well
Missouri* (Misery/Silly Love Songs)
See You Later
Lately
Black Gold
Without a Trace
New World
Easy Street
Just Like Anyone
Oxygen
Gone Til November
Whatcha Need
To My Own Devices
Last Train to Clarksville
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Somebody to Shove

Encore: Stand Up and Be Strong

*It's actually printed this way on their set list.

The list above is from my notes of what they actually played, which is slightly different from the printed set list. Gone Til November and Last Train to Clarksville are not on the printed list. They dropped Closer to the Stars and Summer of Drugs; the latter was listed as the first of two encore songs. Scott (Crawl's husband) asked Dave later why they cut Summer of Drugs. Dave said they dropped it because they were running long.

THE SACRED RELIC

You know you want to know, so let's just get this over with. ;)

Yes, Sometime to Return, the pants were indeed in play! This pair was truly a thing of beauty. And, as Keats said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." If holey jeans were relics, this pair would be as sacred as the Shroud of Turin.

The knees were ripped out, there were huge holes and stringy patches in the thighs, and the crucial area -- shredded to threads.

Not only that, but because I was standing at center stage, Dave was right in front of me most of the night. No need to sneak peeks. No need for Dave to swing his guitar. The display was unavoidably right in front of my face, especially when he was playing the acoustic guitar.

Early on, between songs, Andrew leaned over to me and said, "He really needs to get a new pair of pants." I laughed and said, "I know. The crotch of those jeans is being held together by ONE thread."

Maybe he heard us (although his back was turned and he had walked back toward Michael when we said it) because after that, Dave crossed his legs whenever he played the acoustic guitar. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed him doing that before, so it seemed like a belated attempt at modesty.

If so, it was too little, too late. The front row had been getting an eyeful for at least a half-hour by then. And he would forget about it when he played electric guitar or started dancing and spinning. And he moved around like that A LOT.

THE SHOW

What great fun. The band was clearly having a good time and they played so aggressively and energetically. They remained in high spirits despite some ongoing equipment problems.

The crowd was the largest one at any of the shows I've attended this year. Even better, most of the audience seemed to be Soul Asylum fans. They sang along so loudly that I sometime had trouble hearing the guys.

It was the perfect night for an outdoor show. The weather was warm and clear.

Rusty and I met up with Andrew about two hours before Soul Asylum went on. We hung out and Andrew regaled us with great stories about his travels and the recent shows he's seen.

Once we got into viewing position, Meg (Crawl) and Scott found us. The five of us hung out together during the show. That was a blast. Soul Asylum fans are friendly and fun! And seeing the show with other people who were actually excited about it just made it that much better.

We really did get our places at dead center right on the rail.

When the band came out to set up, Dan noticed and commented on Scott's Golden Smog T-shirt.

Van Halen was playing on the PA during set up. Tommy went over to Dan's mic and sang, "Can I get an off switch?" Then he said, "I hate Van Halen." A little later, he moved over to Dave's mic and said, "I'm only playing. I didn't mean it." He looked out at the audience and said, "I'm making the crew sad."

They started out with Bittersweetheart, full of energy and fun and plenty of hip-wiggling in the most spectacularly holey jeans yet.

Dave's hair is quite a bit longer and he was flinging and swinging and swirling it around. I told Rusty, "Dave seems to be really enjoying his longer hair." Rusty nodded and then we both said in unison, "I am, too." Giggle giggle.

After they finished All is Well, Dave said, "Next we're going to play a song called 'Missouri.'" Yeah, every native has been making that joke since junior high school, "I live in the state of Misery."

Dan was a lot more aggressive on guitar than usual and a lot more physical in general. During Lately, he was bouncing up and down with Dave. Later he jumped up on an amp to play a solo and several time he came right out on the edge of the stage and just blistered his guitar.

Tommy seemed to be in high spirits and was cutting up a lot.

After Lately, there was so much smoke pouring out of the smoke machine that Michael was barely visible and Tommy was coughing. The band started playing "Fire" and Dave asked if an amp was blowing up.

After Just Like Anyone, they seemed to be having more trouble with the amps. Dan moved back toward Michael for a while. When he came back up front, his hair was spiked out all over his head like a porcupine -- or someone who had just stuck his finger in the light socket. Then they played Oxygen. Shock treatment for Dan! :)

After Gone Til November, Dave went on a joke marathon. He started with the brown chicken, brown cow joke. Then they played the riff after each joke, which made them seem funnier.

They played most of Last Train to Clarksville, but then Tommy and Dave just started singing, "Do-do-do-do" to the tune. Dan and Tommy looked expectantly at Dave, who had clearly forgotten the words. Dave finally just laughed and said, "We're a band that's not afraid to try anything once."

I'd never seen them play Never Really Been live before, so Tommy both enhanced and detracted from the experience by cutting up and doing the chicken dance during the song.

They closed with Shove. Our new friends and I were literally shoving each other and even some strangers on my other side started pushing into me, so I just pushed right back. Fun times.

They left on a wave of high energy. The crowd screamed and clapped until they came back and actually rocked out Stand Up and Be Strong.

The guys rocked and jammed out. Dave kicked over his mic stand at the start of his solo after Whatcha Need. Then, he actually lay all the way back on the floor during his guitar solo (and then had a little trouble getting back up!). Dave, Tommy, and even Dan were dancing and headbanging. They jammed on the end of several songs. This was definitely one of the intense shows.

That Meg is a great influence. :) She just egged Rusty and me on. During one song, Dave would sing a line and then jump back from the mic several times during the chorus. Meg instructed us to scream, "Oww!" every time Dave jumped back from the mic. So we did! We won't even talk about the silliness inspired by Bittersweetheart and Dave's incredibly holey jeans. Our behavior must have been noteworthy, though, because one of the security guys actually took pictures of us -- all five of us. Not sure why.

On Sunday, I was so hoarse from screaming and yelling so much that my voice was cracking all day long.

Best of all, I finally got to hear Easy Street and Never Really Been live. They also played To My Own Devices, a song after my own heart. What a treat!

There's more, but I'll let the others have a chance to tell it.

As for me, I'll be floating on a cloud of joy right up until the withdrawal sets in.

And you'd think we'd be satisfied, right? Not this greedy Sisterhood. On the drive back, Rusty said, "I hope they play another show in Kansas City soon." Me, too, sister! :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

I will have to say that this concert was one of my best experiences to date. Laura and I got there about 6pm and walked around and got something to eat to help pass the time. By this time we had already decided that if we had both stayed home we would have been cursing ourselves. By Sunday we both agreed that we would both have regretted it for the rest of our lives. Not just the concert but with the fellow Soul Asylum fans from this site made the whole experience even more awesome. Andrew met up with us I think around 7, and we sat and chatted about things over in England, and of course Soul Asylum. It was great getting to talk to him. And I do have to say I am quite jealous of him getting to do all the traveling he does to see Soul Asylum concerts! Around 8:45 we decided it was best to head up to the stage and get in position. Once up there we ran into Crawl and her husband, already warming up our spots, which wasn’t quite center but off to the right about in between Dave and Dan. So we all stood around and talked waiting for the show to start, and what a show it was! Everyone was in very high spirits, just laughing, smiling and have a grand time and they couldn’t have started off any better than with Bittersweetheart! Yes the holey jeans where there, the same ones I think from Aquapalooza, the ones with 2 holes in that one area that makes us blush! The set list was great, and me and Laura finally got to hear them play Easy Street and Never Really Been live. But they also through in Somebody to Shove and To My Own Devices (in which Andrew commented that he had never heard before live). Here’s the set list:

Bittersweetheart
All is Well
Missouri..actually says this on the set list! /Silly love songs
See ya Later
Lately
Black Gold
Without a Trace
New World
Easy Street
Just Like Anyone
Oxygen
Cartoon
Whatcha Need
To My Own Devices
Never Really Been
Run Away Train
Closer to The Stars***Didn’t get played because they ran over
Somebody to Shove
Summer of Drugs***Got dropped also
Stand up and be Strong

All the guys were really having a great time on stage. At one point I looked over and looked at Tommy and he was snapping his fingers trying to get some of the audience to do it and flapping his arms like a chicken, it was pretty hilarious. I will have to say that they were really smoking too, It seemed that when anyone would really be jamming, it being Michael on the drums or Dan on his guitar that all this smoke with start coming out from behind Michael. We don’t know if they had a smoke machine back there or not because it didn’t seem to happen consistently. Dave made a comment about the smoking man holes. At one point a huge cloud of smoke came out and drift Tommy’s way to where he was fanning his hand in front of his face to clear some of it away. That and this bug that kept flying around his face I’m sure he was getting a little annoyed. During one song and I can’t remember which on (Crawl you will have to refresh my memory) but Crawl comes up to me and Laura and is like practice with me and she goes OWWWW. So we do..and she’s like okay in the next verse when Dave jumps back from the mic we all say it real loud. And I can tell she has down this before because in the next instance Dave jumps back and we 3 are the only ones screaming OWW out….but it fits perfectly! So thank you Crawl for including us in this little moment it was great! Couple of other memorable moments- Dan from being all sweaty spikes up all his hair to the point it looks like he touched something electrical. During Whatcha Need Dave’s doing the guitar solo, he gets down on his knees and bends backwards and then has a hard time getting up, and no I’m not saying its because he’s old because he’s not, I’m saying its because he was probably getting worn out since this song was near the end, and I’m sure its hard to keep that kind of energy up for a very long period of time but all in all they did very well. Dave is of course telling his jokes and I finally get to hear the Brown chicken Brown cow joke, which was really great how after they did the joke it turned into a string of jokes with them coming back to brown chicken brown cow after each one, pretty hilarious! There were more fans at this concert than I have seen at the previous ones, who actually knew more than Run away Train which was refreshing. Even though when Dave dedicated Without a Trace to Karl…one guy was like who’s Karl? I think we shocked him when we all turned around and was like he was in the band! lol . I am sure I left out some things, but I’m sure with Laura’s post we will have filled in most of the blanks. And again a big thanks to Laura (for being all giggly with me, and staying up late and rehashing it all when we got back to the hotel), Andrew (for even just having met us calling us YOUR friends!), Crawl and her husband (you guys are a great couple, and Crawl you had me laughing quite a few times!). The whole experience would have not been the same without any of you and just made it even more that special! And I hope that in the future we can all do it again!

P.S. I have pics and will post them in a day or 2!!

Rusty

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Seriously,

I am not the instigator! And I am never looking up Dave's holey jeans! Guess I should have been (touched there?). Too busy being a dancing fool.. which I am way too old to be :roll: Great seeing everyone! I had so much fun. Hope I was not the drunken fool that I think I was, I know I made everyone hug me! a couple of times for some poor souls!

Dave did say no summer of drugs cause ran out of time. Scot said.. well stop telling all the same stupid jokes then... Scot had been saying on the way down how bad he wanted to hear it and there definitely was a bit of teasing it. So we could have a poll and think of some new jokes for Dave?!?! I will post a Twins one on GD in honor of the White Sox. Wish I could be there on someone's coattails.

Listening to Brand new Shine today and just thinking how it is not all the same to me. I do hear something new in each and every move. Amazing how the old lyrics mean something new to me all the time! Guess that is the test. Missouri is not the same to me but it still holds water (maybe too much this year!) just in a new way!

Danny ripped it up as always!! I can't think that there is a better guitar player out there. Was that a new guitar? Ditto for Michael and Tommy. Dave won my heart with Faces. I don't know how I would have gotten through that year with out it! And I love that big old black guitar! :)

Last Train was a treat! always love the covers! missed the Fire, must have been off getting beer. Judging by the hangover I had plenty of that! Shove was so friendly. Great to see Andrew again and special thanks to him and George. Missed you Jim and Phil, to far south for Tim I am sure. God I am such a geek!

At band camp... :geek:

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

crawl wrote:Seriously,

I am not the instigator! And I am never looking up Dave's holey jeans! Guess I should have been (touched there?). Too busy being a dancing fool.. which I am way too old to be :roll: Great seeing everyone! I had so much fun. Hope I was not the drunken fool that I think I was, I know I made everyone hug me! a couple of times for some poor souls!
You were not a drunken fool. You were just happy and really affectionate. No worries. Hugs are nice. :)

Rusty and I don't really need an instigator, but you DID have us screaming, "Oww!" when Dave jumped. That was definitely YOUR idea -- and it was fun! You can instigate with us any time. :)

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

The one was so long I thought I better break things up just wanted to added a special thanks to Jim!! your the best! with out you none of this would never have been. And Phil, yes I got my shock treatment and it felt really, really good!

We were all talking about how great you were for starting the site and
Dave said, " So my manager says to me the other day maybe we should get you guys a web site" and Dave said "Dude where have you been, Jim had got that all under control!"

Scot said " and for that he gets 10%.. Dave said, "15%" ouch!

Sounds like a 5% wiggle room. Dave is going to be writting some new material?!?! and Danny too I hope, now that we have the bleacher seats all cleared up. But I think the next new cover should be kung fu fighting!!
All though a Chevy van would be awsome and of course I have several originals I could plug. Thanks for the instigator welcome Laura!

I'm here just for the ride!!!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

crawl wrote:The one was so long I thought I better break things up just wanted to added a special thanks to Jim!! your the best! with out you none of this would never have been.
Thanks :oops: , but definitely give credit to Jakob (Homesick); that's where its due.

Glad all of you guys had a great time; wish I could have been there.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com