2008 Dec. 19th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: Friday December 19th, 2008... 1st Avenue

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Really great photos, Rob! Thanks so much for sharing them.

Good photos and video all around, actually. Thanks for giving the rest of us a little taste of the show.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Thanks everyone for the show reports, photos, and video! I wanted to be at this show sooooo much. I thought the reports would break my heart, but I really enjoyed reading/seeing them. I'm so glad all those who went had a good time and got treated to some special material. I would have LOVED to hear "Nice Guys." That song is on my top-three most-wanted list. I had a feeling they had been considering it for a while, ever since I saw it on the set list for one of Dave's solo shows last year. I really hope they keep it in the set and that I get to hear it at a show soon.

Since no one has mentioned it, I assume there were no t-shirts at this year's show?

Have a very happy holiday and best wishes for a new year full of joy and plenty of SA shows!

-Judith
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

That's correct, no merchandise whatsoever. And I had cash to burn that night too. I got a First Ave. shirt at least.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:I wanted to be at this show sooooo much. I thought the reports would break my heart, but I really enjoyed reading/seeing them. I'm so glad all those who went had a good time and got treated to some special material. I would have LOVED to hear "Nice Guys." That song is on my top-three most-wanted list. I had a feeling they had been considering it for a while, ever since I saw it on the set list for one of Dave's solo shows last year. I really hope they keep it in the set and that I get to hear it at a show soon.-Judith
Judith, I'm really sorry that you weren't able to come. I've also suffered the heartbreak of being denied air travel to Minneapolis for a historic Soul Asylum show. I didn't make it to the Rock For Karl show because I'd planned to drive, but discovered on the road that I was too sleep deprived to make the drive solo, and then I couldn't get standby space out of Bismarck. The drive home was the most depressed I've ever felt, and surprisingly, reading the reveiws actually cheered me up.

Regarding Nice Guys.... I had written the guys via MySpace in late September, and politly asked if Tommy and Michael would be willing and able to learn Nice Guys by Dec. 19th, and they were kind enough to include it in the setlist, [although they did make me wait for the encore for it, the lyrics sheet was hanging in front of me, so I knew it was coming :) ]Now that they've learned/relearned it, maybe if we keep asking for it occasionally, it'll pop up in the setlist often enough that everyone can enjoy it in 2009?
I hope to be able to meet you at a Minneapolis show sometime in 2009.

dells

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Happy Holidays all. Thanks for the pics and videos. Rob great stuff on your site. Still have not watched them all but loved seeing the Santa clause video, been signing it all Christmas. Go Dan! Judith, looked for you thinking I would see you, sorry you did not make it out. Was disappointed not to have you there. Dells, glad you made it home OK. weather was tough for us to. But totally worth it. Sure helped me get throught the rest of the Holiday.

Show was awesome! I am definitely putting First Ave. on my wish list for next year. I just wish they would do two nights! We had an extra good time on the drive up, and enjoyed our traveling companion ;) . I love Bittersweet for an opener! Just really gets it going.

I thought eveyone was in fine form! Of course Nice Guys was a highlight (My son Marc was actually born to Nice Guys) but I was thrilled with Did My Best. Turns out I kinda missed Dave's jokes. Do you know why Santa drives a sleigh ... His wife has the good car :lol:

It was great meeting so many people from the forum. I still can't believe they let you walk around with glass bottles!

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

Gosh I forgot to read back on this thread...

Jim Metz - good to meet ya! Did those pictures taken of the "crew" outside First Ave turn out? Hope your drive back to Chicago was good.

Tracy - You maybe didn't see me, but I saw you! I wasn't feeling well that night, so I was the "DD" and stayed in back.

Dells - great to meet you and I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Didn't I see you with drum sticks late in the show?

-Aron (aka Moto Geek)
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Moto Geek wrote:Dells - great to meet you and I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Didn't I see you with drum sticks late in the show?

-Aron (aka Moto Geek)
I enjoyed meeting you as well, Aaon, and all the other ETSA cult members there, too.

Nope, that wasn't me with drumsticks.

Promises Broken (Tracy, is it?) I think you must have been the blonde on my left who chatted with me from time to time? I'm sorry I didn't know who you were at the time.

dells

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Moto Geek wrote:Gosh I forgot to read back on this thread...

Jim Metz - good to meet ya! Did those pictures taken of the "crew" outside First Ave turn out? Hope your drive back to Chicago was good.
I still haven't been able to access my memory card from my computers; it seems that they don't want to read my new 4gb memory card but I can still view them on the camera so I assume/hope they're still there.* I'll make sure to send you a copy of the photos though when I do get it working.

Despite some snow causing some crappy road conditions the overall ride back home was good, albeit a little slow.

*Apparently it seems to be a common issue with a lot of the 4gb cards (brand didn't matter). The only fix for it is only available right now is for Windows SP2 and not SP3; go figure).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Hi Jim,

I had the same problem too, the new High Capacity cards aren't all that compatible with many machines. I had to connect the camera directly to the computer and the pix downloaded fine that way, instead of going off a separate card reader. Every camera should come with a cable allowing for downloading that way - still got yours?.

-Rob

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Promises Broken (Tracy, is it?) I think you must have been the blonde on my left who chatted with me from time to time? I'm sorry I didn't know who you were at the time.

Nope, that wasn't me. I was with my friend and her very tall, blonde daughter at the beginning and the end of the night and scrunched in the middle by myself during the show.

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.