2009 Jan, 15th - Gran Parque de la Exposición, Lima, Perú

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: SOUL ASYLUM en LIma ( Club de fans en Perú )

Post by AlyssaJones »

Here's one of the articles:

The concert that Soul Asylum performed last night in Lima summarized in this way: after they played their biggest hit “Runaway Train” nearly halfway through their show, about thirty percent of the public got up and left the monotonous show while Dave Pirner and his band were on stage, but had I been paying attention the show, as I should have since I’m music critic, I wouldn’t have noticed people leaving.

If there is an adjective to describe the American group, it’s boring. It seems that the group has been stuck in 1992 and not realized that rock music is more than throwing the guitar to the floor like Pete Townshend and wearing flannel and torn jeans, as was the fashion then, even though Dave Pirner is the most attractive guy in the world and his ripped jeans look really, really cool and I’m just some dumb guy who doesn’t know anything about good music!

In Minnesota all can be forgiven, as they do not have many hits, which are a bit pretentious, and they play an almost stranger set, and they sound identical in each one of their songs, but what we cannot stand is to listen to them, 25 years after their formation, with a monotonous sound that remained static to the public, except for when they played songs that were known by most people, and that my dear children is what we call a run-on sentence.

What we thank Soul Asylum for, a band that had great success in the nineties, is to have arrived with two great musicians amongst them. The first of which, Tommy Stinson, current “musical director” of Guns N’ Roses, who will leave shortly to tour with Axl Rose to promote “Chinese Democracy,” but who the hell knows when or even if that’s going to happen.

Pirner and company also brought drummer Michael Bland, an enormous musician, who, in spite of his bulky weight, plays the drums with extraordinary elasticity. Both he and Stinson were undoubtedly the best thing about this concert, but it doesn’t really matter what I think because a good time was had by both Soul Asylum and their fans.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

This other one contains nothing you probably don't already know, but here ya go anyway:

The American alternative rock band Soul Asylum performed last night for hundreds of Limeans during the first concert in our country this year that took place at el Parque de Exposición. Winners of a Grammy award, David Pirner and Dan Murphy, with Michael Bland and Tommy Stinson, played a unique and wonderful concert in Peru’s capital.

The band, formed in Minneapolis, MN in 1983, arose from the original band Loud Fast Rules, formed in 1981 by Dave Pirner, Dan Murphy, Karl Mueller, and Pat Morley. Morley was later replaced by Grant Young in 1984. Mueller was diagnosed with cancer in 2004, and the band organized a benefit concert in his name a year before he died.

After recording three albums with twin/tone and two with A&M with little commercial success, the group jumped to fame in 1992 with the record “Grave Dancers Union.” The disc included one of their most successful songs, “Runaway Train.” It turned them into Grammy winners with a double platinum album, and they played at the inauguration of President Bill Clinton. Three years later, they recorded the platinum album Let Your Dim Light Shine, which contained the famous song, “Misery.” The latter was the last really “successful” album of their carreer.

Due to legal problems outside the members of Soul Asylum, the concert was originally scheduled for December 5th but was rescheduled to January 15th.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

"they sound identical in each one of their songs"
? i thought the big traditional SA complaint from people is that they changed how they sound TOO much. this is the first time i've heard the complaint that all their songs sound the same. sheesh.
anybody have a playlist by the way? just to confirm they didn't play the same song over and over (just kidding) :)

thanks for photos! - haven't checked out videos yet.

p.s. mad soul when i saw that photo the other day i thought hmmm wonder if that's one of the people posting on here? congrats that's cool!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Nice.

I have that same hat, too.

itta_asylum
Marionette

Concert in Peru!

Post by itta_asylum »

I really can't describe it! it's the best concert i've ever been too! and the best of all! Dave and Dan have the same energy as when they were 20 i just loved them! it was great espectacular i don't have any words!! i'm wordless lol!
And about the 1st article that Alyssa Jones put on the page, well, just see the critics of the people to the man that wrote the article! They're eating him alive!!!! and i just loved that! cause 30% gone? come on that's not true people went out after the recess of the concert but it wasn't a 30 % maximum where like 100 or 200 out of 3000 that where there! But either way the crowd was terribly boring! and that happens in Bolivia as well, But for me and lots of other people the band was just GREAT! indeed that is the only article that talks bad about the band! all others tell how great they were!

Benny
Runaway

Peru

Post by Benny »

Hello peoples,

Just thought you'd like some "official" word from one of us on our first experience in Peru. I think the whole trip was fantastic and the guys had a great time soaking in the sights, sounds, tastes, and smells of Lima. Our hosts were more than generous, and ensured a great and comfortable time for all.

It all felt quite Beatlesesque as we were greeted at the airport by 100 or so fans, and every time we left the hotel there were kids outside wanting pictures and/or autographs. Fans came from Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, and who-knows-where-else, and made us feel very welcome.

The show itself was incredible, with around 3,000 people in attendance, and more singing along to SA than I've ever seen/heard. The band played great as usual and the vibe was very good all around. There was even a big rockin' light show. Don't listen to that reviewer, most of the people stayed until the very end.

I got lots of great video footage and hope to splice something together for you guys at some point. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If anybody wants us to come to your country, speak up!

Con abrazo,
Benny

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Re: Peru

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Glad you guys had such a great time in Peru!! And have made it home safely! As for people saying which countries they would like you guys to come to, this has been started in the 2009 tour dates thread...but I'm sure they will happily post them here for you...Personally I'm going to vote for Sweden! Just because Jakob helps keep this awesome site up and running for the rest of us!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Re: Concert in Peru!

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Glad you had such a good time itta. I definantly know what your talking about when you say its hard to describe. The last concert I went to with Laura..AKA Crazylittlewomen...after we got back to the hotel room we stayed up til about 3am rehashing it all..and then the next day we hardly spoke except to say..WOW...

As for that critic, since he gave such a bad review I just figured he wasn't a fan of Soul Asylum to begin with.

And wow 3000 people!!! Thats crazy cool.....

So are you plotting on trying to get them back there again already?!?!?! Once you get a dose of them its hard to come off of! And to me all other concerts don't quite seem to measure up to them....

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: Concert in Peru!

Post by lune ellise »

I am SO HAPPY you enjoyed the show, itta_asylum (is you real name Carla?). This goes to show that there are Soul Asylum fans outside the US who would be more than elated to see them perform live and visit their countries as well.

As for the review, I think the band is used to the idea of reviews - whether good or bad (they are music critics after all). I just hope this review didn't put you fans off. Let him have his say, but I hope it did not taint your perception of the band.

Again, this is wonderful news. BTW, are you the one who set up a Dave Pirner page in Facebook?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: Peru

Post by lune ellise »

Thank you for this post, Benny! It's so nice to hear from you and the band that you had a blast in Peru, and that you enjoyed your stay as much as the fans enjoyed your visit in their country.

As for that review - I hope it didn't insult you in any way. I am sure he's just doing his job evaluating, and I am also sure that fans of Soul Asylum would not mind that review. So you don't have to worry about us :mrgreen:
Benny wrote:If anybody wants us to come to your country, speak up!
Now that you mention it, can you have a concert in Philippines? I know this is asking too much, but since you asked...
Twiddly Dee wrote:Personally I'm going to vote for Sweden! Just because Jakob helps keep this awesome site up and running for the rest of us!
Oh yes - this definitely takes my vote too!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum