2009 May 15th - Azkena Rock Festival, Vitoria, Spain

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
andrewttw
Inmate

Re: 15th May 09 - Azkena Rock Festival - Vitoria, Spain

Post by andrewttw »

I guess its just Iva and myself off here thats going then? Will have to try and write a show report.

Iva did you get my PM?

I'm sure I sent it correctly but it is still showing in my Outbox rather than sent messages.

If you diden't get it send me an E-mail at andrewrtw@hotmail.com

Andrew

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Hope everyone has a safe trip. Andrew since this is going to be your last concert for awhile,I hope that you get to really enjoy it! Im sure you will though. :mrgreen: Can't wait to read everyones reviews!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Thanks Rusty I'm sure I will have loads of fun!

I had better try and get some sleep though, got to be on my way to the airport in just over 5 hours!

Andrew

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Have a great time !!! and make sure to post the report, So we can live vicariously through you. Will be there in spirit!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

D'oh! They broadcast the show live through a livestream on the official site, but I only caught the last few songs... I should have logged online earlier.

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Was a fantastic show on Friday night and was great to finally see the guys in Europe, I thought the day would never come when I would see a Soul Asylum show in my own continent! Will post a full report tomorrow.

Andrew

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

andrewttw wrote:Was a fantastic show on Friday night and was great to finally see the guys in Europe, I thought the day would never come when I would see a Soul Asylum show in my own continent! Will post a full report tomorrow.

Andrew
we'll be waiting...........
Pat

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Dang, Why am I not on the email list that tells me they are streaming it!!

Waiting too!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

crawl wrote:Dang, Why am I not on the email list that tells me they are streaming it!!
I meant the official site from the Azkena festival. Most major European fesivals have a live stream throughout the whole festival on the official website.
I wonder if they will ever upload the show... it was shot in a professional way with a lot of different camera angles.

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Sorry for the delay in posting my report on the show, been busy working hard since getting back, but here it is a last!

I arrived into Vitoria where the festival was by around lunchtime on Friday. I was relieved to have made it there as I very nearly had to cancel the whole trip, as I had to be in a town on the other side of England and had no way of getting back to Liverpool in time to catch my original flight I had booked.

However I managed to get a flight from a local airport in South England to Bilbao in northern Spain, an hours bus ride from Vitoria, by flying via Dublin. With a delay as well I ended up stuck in Dublin airport for 4 and a half hours, oh well a few Guinness’s helped make the time past! I finally arrived in Bilbao 7 and a half hours after leaving England, so much for Soul Asylum playing closer to home, I could have gone back to the States again in a similar time, but at least the flights were cheap and I had no Jetlag!

By flying into Bilbao I managed in just 48 hours to do a whistle-stop bit of sightseeing in 3 Spanish cities (Bilbao, Vitoria and Madrid) as well as seeing a great show and meeting some other fans.

Despite forecasts of heavy rain all day the traditional Spanish sun came out Friday afternoon and remained out, I made 2 silly mistakes, going out with no sunscreen on getting rather a red face! and not taking a sweater as once the sun set it got very cold.

Upon arriving at the Festivil grounds I met up with Iva and her boyfriend. The first thing we did was goto get a beer and as we were ordering Dan wanders past he saw us waving so came and came over to have a quick chat with us, then a few minuets later we see Dave & Benny having a wonder around so we have a chat with them too, we seemed to be the only people who recognised them and were getting worried that we were the only fans there.

While the majority of the crowd were there for the headliners the Black Crowe’s by the time Soul Asylum went on an impressive sized crowd had gathered, looking around occasionally during the show many of the crowd were getting into even the Silver linings songs even though it was very likely most of them won’t had heard the songs before. I would even say it was a better crowd than a few of the US shows I’ve been to outside of Mpls and NYC.

They played for about an hour 15 mins which was longer than I thought they were going to get with them not being the headliner, and was a very good set list with the exception of Gone to November which personally I think is the worst cover the band do. I didn’t write the set list down but from memory it was something like this

Shove, All is Well, Misery with silly love songs, Lately, Gone to November, Some cover song with Spain in the chorus, Watcha need, Oxygen, Cartoon, Never Really been, Black Gold, Without a Trace, Runaway Train, Just like anyone, Slowly rising, Stand up, think there were 1 or 2 others I’ve missed out do you remember any others Iva? was there also Easy street at some point or was I just dreaming that?

Iva and her boyfriend left after the show and I got chatting to another fan from Italy, (Hi Omar if you’ve found the site and are reading this, was great to meet you) he had drove over 1000km from near Venice Italy to be at his first ever Soul Asylum show and having missed Dave and Dan earlier was hoping to meet them. Eventually Dave makes an appearance and chatted with us for a good while as we watched the Black Crowes from a distance, Dave said he really wished he was the singer in that band as he doesn’t actually sing very much! Dave could not get to grips just how much coins can be worth outside of the US and very nearly offered someone the equivalent of $4 for a single cigarette! so I made sure he selected a smaller coin and “only” paid around $1.35 Dave also very kindly went off to find Dan and bought him out to see us. I was so glad Omar got to meet them having spent 2 days in each direction driving so far so he could see his 1st ever show.

It was certainly greet to finally see the band in my own continent I told Dave I was surprised they aren’t playing any more Shows in Europe while over he, Dave replied that he was surprised too and seemed disappointed that there were indeed no more shows in Europe.

But anyway at least they did play in Europe at last and thanks to everyone who made it possible and hopefully it won’t be another 13 years till they get back to Europe again!

That was great that you could follow the show online, shame no-one realised before and made a post about it to let everyone know. I noticed loads of cameras and different angles being used on the big screen, would be great if they put the footage on their website or even better sell a DVD of it.

I’ve got some good pics of the show will get them uploaded soon and post the link to them here.

Andrew