2009 May 15th - Azkena Rock Festival, Vitoria, Spain

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
andrewttw
Inmate

2009 May 15th - Azkena Rock Festival, Vitoria, Spain

Post by andrewttw »

Hi all, thought I'd start a thread on this show I've just seen has been announced that will be the 1st Soul Asylum show in Europe for over a decade!

Can anyone (Benny?) confirm this is 100% confirmed? I've found the official site for the festival but there is no mention of Soul Asylum

http://www.azkenarockfestival.com/

Assuming they are definitely playing, are they opening for the Black Crowes as I see pollstar are showing them as headlining on the 15th I guess they would still get enough time to do a decent length set though if thats the case.

I'm intending on travelling from Liverpool, England for this and can get very good flight deals to Spain at the moment but would like to make sure it's 100% certain before making travel arrangements. Any chance of more European dates as well, surely more European shows will make the trip across the pond even more worthwhile!

Are any other European members on here considering making this?

Unfortunely Vitoria its not quite as easy to get to as many European cities would have been, the nearest major airport is Bilbao about an hour to the north of Vitoria, but Bilbao only has limited number of air routes. I'm myself am planning to fly into Madrid which has direct flights to almost every major city in Europe and indeed many major cities worldwide. From Madrid there are fast trains that do the 350km or so to Vitoria in about 3hrs 40mins, or if there are other members considering on going and flying into Madrid and can drive then perhaps another option could be to get together to rent a car to drive there.

Andrew

Laura
Marionette

Re: 15th May 09 - Azkena Rock Festival - Vitoria, Spain

Post by Laura »

Hello!

Hmm it is worth thinking about it... The ticket for the festival and a flight to Madrid wouldn't be too costly, plus the transfer to Vitoria... 15th of May, it's between my written and oral exams (high school graduation) :) But my biggest problem is that I would have to get someone to go with me, who also likes SA. But you are right, it would be nice to know whether they will play in Europe nowadays besides this festival in Spain, or not. And whether they will play in Europe in my lifetime (besides this), or not... They could really come to Central Europe:) Or Western Europe is all right too, but it couldn't have been farther away from me than Spain... (OK., Portugal... or Iceland... or the eastern part of the European part of Russia... or Northern Scandinavia... but it doesn't matter!)

Bye

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I doubt that they are headlining. I'd love to go see them but I can't afford going all the way to Spain just to see them right now. I do hope that they will play some more dates in Europe closer to home, maybe some of the more smaller festivals in Western Europe in the spring or summer.

Laura
Marionette

Post by Laura »

I think I also have to go without it this time... So far away...
I would compromise with the Netherlands (I suppose you, Closer, live there :) ). But I think these are just dreams.
(But don't they have a schedule for /at least/ the summer? /I don't know how it goes [I've never had such a famous rock band to tour with <how many brackets>]/) ;)
Hope

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

I’ve decided to book my flights to Madrid and travel up to Victora from there, I’m lucky there’s a flight sale on and I can fly there from my city’s airport for just £45 round trip!

Laura & Closer I’ve had a look around to see if there’s any decent deals I can find for you, but it does indeed seem it’s not so easy and indead a lot more expensive for you to get there from Budapest or the Netherlands especially as its then still a fair journey away from Madrid so I can understand if you can’t make it, hopefully they may do some shows somewhere it’s easier for you to get to although if there are no other European shows it could be your best opportunity to see the band for over 12 years as who knows if they will come to Europe again.

Anyone from the USA on here fancy a spring Vacation to Europe taking in the show, there’s some incredible spring flight deals from the USA to Europe at the moment, for Example New York to Madrid flying on 13th May retuning on 18th May for around $370 with Delta or Continental, inclusive of all charges! Also some good deals from many other US cities and other dates available.

Mid May is the perfect time of year to visit Spain, with decent warm weather without being extremely hot and because its outside of the main holiday season is not at all overcrowded like it gets in July and August.

It would be great to get a group of us to this show and have a great time at both the show and checking out some sights in Sunny Spain!

Andrew

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Laura wrote:I think I also have to go without it this time... So far away...
I would compromise with the Netherlands (I suppose you, Closer, live there :) ). But I think these are just dreams.
(But don't they have a schedule for /at least/ the summer? /I don't know how it goes [I've never had such a famous rock band to tour with <how many brackets>]/) ;)
Hope
There are so many festivals around here that they could play. Maybe not the huge festivals like Pinkpop, Roskilde, or some of the German festivals like Rock Am Ring because I don't think that they are big enough for that nowadays and those festivals only want bands that attract a huge audience, but there are a lot of smaller and more alternative festivals. Or just a club tour. They played so many dates here in the late 80's before the commercial success. There are a lot of American bands that don't sell a lot of albums and who aren't very mainstream that come to Europe on every occasion.

And Andrew, I hope you have fun. I really would have considered if it was a lot closer, or easier to go to.

Laura
Marionette

Post by Laura »

Thank you Andrew for the research, but my problem is not only the money, but the date too. It would be better for me, if it was held in the summer. But I hope you will enjoy yourself there!

There is an international Rock Fest in Budapest too, called Sziget Festival, I think the Europeans might have heard about it. Last year the biggest names were Alanis Morisette, Apocalyptica, Iron Maiden, Jamiroquai, Kaiser Chiefs, R.E.M., Sex Pistols and some others. But there are many no-name artists, mainly younger bands, who are not yet famous. I think they really could invite Soul Asylum among the other hundreds of bands, however it might not attract so many Hungarians, but the half of the visitors are foreigners (yes, and the prices were made for them, unfortunately...). So I voted for Soul Asylum (and some other bands) on the wish-list:) But of course it also depends on the band itself, if they don't have any time to travel to European festivals, they won't come. But yes, they could also make a club tour...
I hope SA has many years ahead, and they will have some European concerts too. I'm optimistic:) And waiting.

pirner1981
Lone Rider

Post by pirner1981 »

Hi, I´ve been thinking about to go to Vitoria to see Soul Asylum. I am from the Czech Republic...but anyways....does anybody know if the band is gonna be there? I need to be sure for 100 %. There is no mention of SOul Asylum at www.azkenrockfestival.com

Thanks for help

Iva ;)

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Hi Iva

Yes that is is a concern of mine that there no mention of them on the official festivil website or indeed anywhere else including their listings on pollstar. I beleave it was Benny that origionaly posted the date on the Soul Asylum myspace page, If your reading this Benny could you confirm if it's more or less definate?

I've booked my flight to Madrid anyway and the flights were so cheap that if it dosen't go ahead it would be disapointing, but at least for me it would still mean I could have a decent inexpensive few days holiday in Madird, but I'm sure for some other people including Iva you need to be 100% sure the show is going ahead beofre making any travel plans

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

I can't make the trip, but for those interested, the band is now listed on Friday under The Black Crowes. Should be a good show because both bands have similar audiences.