2009 July 2nd - Minnesota Zoo, Apple Valley, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
clammers
Social Butterfly

Re: Zoo tics

Post by clammers »

I will be there with my Dave-crazy aunt...hopefully early enough to have a few beers and check out the new grizzly exhibit.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

Sometime to Return wrote:Anyone else doing the Zoo/ Surf show combo Thursday/ Friday night?
Are you doing the Zoo/Surf combo? Where ya staying if so? I've looked at a cpl hotels down that way and no availability is what I'm finding.....
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

norma023
Are you doing the Zoo/Surf combo? Where ya staying if so? I've looked at a cpl hotels down that way and no availability is what I'm finding.....
Todd;

Absolutely going to both shows. Already have the tickets and hotel booked; did it back in March. Not sure what hotel since I booked it so long ago. I figured with it being 4th of July weekend; hotel rooms would be hard to come by.

P.S. --- if anyone else is going to the surf show; don't park yourself right front of Tommy. My beautiful blonde wife might go type "A" on ya. Fair warning. :lol:

Tracy we'll look for you and hubby (john?) and son. My soon to be six year old daughter is absolutely fired up to see her first concert and to see her "favorite" band.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Looking forward to it! This morning's MPR interview with Dave has me even more hopped up for the show! :D
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

sandcastler
Brand New Shine

MN Zoo show

Post by sandcastler »

Man, I love this band. And the Zoo is a damn fine venue. What a perfect night! Standing in the sun with a popsicle (alright, it wasn't a popsicle, it was a Summit EPA) but I did feel like anything was possible. Which is partly why I love Soul Asylum....this music ENERGIZES me.

Thanks Guys... it was great.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Re: MN Zoo show

Post by spodiba »

sandcastler, welcome to our site!!
I'm happy for you, and all you people who could go there and see the band.
Ahhh, you lucky bastards! :D

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

To say last night was an awesome show doesn't seem to do justice. Outside, under the stars, perfect weather, great sounding venue, family friendly but still a rocking show.

Tracy (Promises Broken)...great to see you, John and Riley again. You guys seem like a great family and I could tell you guys were having lots of fun.

If you're in the U.S. have a safe and great 4th of July weekend. Off to Iowa for tonight's show shortly. Woohoo!!

Anyway; set list (not in order)...People; look at this set list!!!

STRANGER (last song of the night) Dave sang...I feel even stranger
SOMETIME TO RETURN
Cartoon
Easy Street (from their Twin tone days per Dan) :lol:
BLACK STAR
Let's all kill each other
Somebody to shove
Blackgold
Runaway Train
Without a Trace
Misery
Bittersweet Heart
String of Pearls
Just like Anyone
Stand
Lately
All is well
Whatcha ya need
Slowly Rising
Closer to the Stars
Never really been
The Minnesota zoo theme song.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Sounds like an amazing show. Great venue, awesome set list. I'm envious, but I'm glad you guys got to see such a great show. :-)

I'm happy to see Sometime to Return back in the set list. I think it was a mistake for them to drop it the last few shows, because it's such an adrenaline rush and always a highlight.

How did Stranger sound???? I want to see them do it live sooooooooo much! That should be another permanent addition to the set list. :-)

If I could have swung it schedule-wise, hearing Stranger alone would have been worth the airfare. But to get Stranger, Closer to the Stars, Never Really Been, Easy Street, and Sometime to Return... sounds like heaven.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

Sometime to Return wrote: Anyway; set list (not in order)...People; look at this set list!!!

STRANGER (last time played 2000 at the Fine Line)
SOMETIME TO RETURN (last time played Aug 2007)
BLACK STAR (last time played 1999)
Very nice show indeed, couldn't have been any better (well I suppose it could have...) !!

Great venue too! Hadn't been there before for concerts. The seating was a bit tight, but I wouldn't mind going back there again.

The only forum members I ran into was Clammers beforehand. Great to see you again! Saw a few others that I knew, but none else from here.

Black Star was a big highlight for me! Not sure if I've ever seen that one live before actually. Phil, isn't this one of your favs??

I too welcome the return of Sometime to Return. That one vanished from their shows right around the arrival of Easy Street.

Stranger, OMG - Yes Yes Yes -- awesome !!!

Also in there somewhere (setlist wise) was a joke by Eli. Something along the lines of:

Q; why don't Tigers and Lions eat clouds?
A: because they taste funny

I've made a couple notations on that setlist next to a couple of those songs.

I'm out for that Iowa show tonight though, there's enough things locally to keep me busy without having to drive long distances.
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Sounds like a great show!!!

And todd, yes Black Star has always been one of my favorites. Up there with Freak Accident, but not quite that good. I'd love to see that song make a comeback, as it was a great tune. The rest of the setlist just looks awesome, Stranger would be great to see. The only thing with that list, is it seems a bit light on the TSL material, but I guess they have to be somewhat light on all their albums now as they're not really touring in support of TSL anymore.

As for Eli's joke... .It sounds like he's inherited his dad's sense of humor...

Phil