2009 Dec. 5th - The Venue, Fargo, ND

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
crawl
Social Butterfly

Re: new show announced - Dec 5th 2009 Fargo, ND

Post by crawl »

Think I would love to see your concert books! What a great idea.

As for Dave's hair... i sure don't miss the dredlocks!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

crawl wrote:Think I would love to see your concert books! What a great idea.

I bet the creatures living in them miss them. Now where is that moose supposed to live?

Phil

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Sadly, It wasn't until my stroke kicked the shit out of my brain and punched big holes in my memories (and realized that almost all online reveiws were no longer available now that I really needed them) that I realized that I needed to keep local copies of every show reveiw I post online somewhere. Since this is now the only online fansite still in operation, I could only track down two of the detailed reveiws I posted of my pre-stroke SA shows. For the others, I had to recently write down as much of them as I could recall, so those are all barely more than a setlist and infinately less detailed (with the exception of the Gluek's show, which would take complete brain death to iradicate from my memory, 'cause it was such a friggin awesome personal experience, lol :D )

As for Dave's hair, I loved his long wild hair in the early 90s when his dreds were mostly undredded and basically were just barely retaining the sectioning and were wavy from having been dredded for a while. I have never seen a picture of Dave from the time when his hair was actually in real dreds, since they were already mostly undredded by the time the media explosion happened. If his original dreds were skinny, it might have looked cool, but I wouldn't have liked long thick dreds, I'm sure. I'm surprised that his dreds undredded so completely, they must not have been dredded very well to begin with. I helped my son dred his hair in 2004, when his hair was about as long as Dave's is now. I sectioned his hair, and Steve did the dredding process. His dreds came out very tightly woven so when he was ready to move on from them, there was no way to unweave them, and I ended up having to cut them off about 1.5 inches from his scull and we were able to undo the stubs. Steve was able to keep his tightly compacted dreds very clean, so if Dave's were loose to begin with, I doubt if he ever had any residents in them :P

dells

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Della,
all of the archives from the ojeezitssoulasylum site should still be available if you search on there. I don't ever plan on removing the archives from there, although i should copy them over to my own machine at some point in case the site does ever go down for real.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

philipgar wrote:

I bet the creatures living in them miss them. Now where is that moose supposed to live?

Phil
I'm reminded of how my friend Michelle in high school, who didn't really like SA, drew a cartoon called "Things in Dave's Hair." I believe a mouse was one of the things.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ok since this has already turned into a 'dave's hair topic diversion' i have to say dave looks/looked great with and without dreads, and the only hairstyle of his that "only" gets a B+ from me as opposed to A+ is the short cut from faces&names time (i think that's when i mean).

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

philipgar wrote:

Phil
:lol:
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

zany wrote:ok since this has already turned into a 'dave's hair topic diversion' i have to say dave looks/looked great with and without dreads, and the only hairstyle of his that "only" gets a B+ from me as opposed to A+ is the short cut from faces&names time (i think that's when i mean).
Hehe, agreed! :D That was waaay too short!

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

Dells - Rockin' review...thanks for posting it. Keep on rockin' yourself. I wasn't feeling well that night so I stuck in back. Saw a few familiar faces there that night though - including you.

Cheers,

Aron in St. Paul
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

So yesterday I was re-reading and tweaking my reveiw to email it to a friend, and I realized that I'd left out a very important part of the show in the review I originally posted.

So here it is (heavily flavored with my personal experience of the moment):

No clue when in the setlist this happened, but another fun, cute treat that made this show special and unique was Dave singing some short, fun sounding little ditty that I couldn’t understand a word of(and couldn’t care less at the time, because he was making eye contact with me during the whole thing, and grinning a huge grin at me while he was singing it (probably more because he was simply having fun, rather than smiling specifically at me, but I’ll take what I can get, hehehe, and at the time I didn’t much care what it was, because I was just overwhelmed that it felt like he was doing something special just for me (I KNOW he wasn’t, but it felt like it at the time because he was grinning at me while he was doing it). The vocal melody somewhat reminded me of “The Ladybug’s Picnic” from Sesame Street – but I know most of the words to that so it wasn’t that, I don’t think (with Dave grinning at me while doing something totally special, my brain seriously wasn’t functional enough to process anything beyond sharing the moment with Dave, :D). At the time all I could think of was “Jitterbug Rock” but I don’t even know if I heard him sing those words in his lyrics, so it might have been a spontaneously improvised Dave original, for all I could tell – Whatever it was, I hope audio of this entire show turns up somewhere, so I can hear that ditty again & figure it out.

One of the other reveiwers did mention this very breifly, calling it Dave's pie song, so I guess a pie is mentioned in it somewhere, hahaha, and put it as what the Fake RT start turned into. Like I said, I was pleasantly dazed and confused, lol

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner