2009 Dec. 5th - The Venue, Fargo, ND

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: new show announced - Dec 5th 2009 Fargo, ND

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Hi Charles,

I don't think I've seen you post here so welcome to the board. I have moved from the midwest, but I remember you and Danielle from the 2001-2002 shows. Have fun.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

SeeYouLaterAlligator wrote:Hi y'all,

It Charles from Winnipeg. Danielle and I are coming down for the show. We were at the last one there and it was great. Hoping for more of the same...anyone else going from the board? We are bringing 2 friends as well.
Hi Charles! I remember you from the Yahoo group and was wondering if you had joined us here, as I hadn't seen you identify yourself in any posts yet. Nice to see you here! Glad to know you're making the trip down from Winnipeg, I thought of you when this show was announced. :)

I don't recall if we met at that other Playmaker's show, but I'll be at this year's show, I'll be cruising the Venue in my new power scooter, and be parked in a reserved assessible area near the front of the stage off to one side, so I'll be easy to identify if you want to introduce yourself and say Hi.

dells

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

Looks like I wont be able to record any video at this show after all. My camera's videos are not recording with sound any more. No clue why. I just discovered this recently, while recording vids of my granddaughter.

At least now I can just plan to rock out and enjoy my show, and not stress about recording when I'd rather be up & moving.

I might still take stills with it, though, and if I'm not comfortable using my camera, which isn't as tiny and unobtrusive as most digi cams, I'll at least shoot pics with my Blackberry, which should be nice enough quality if I can hold the phone still enough.

dells

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

I have mixed feelings about the show suddenly being turned into a free show. My guess is that this might be an indicator that ticket sales were not good, so this is an attempt to fill the place up with ppl so the venue can try to cover their expenses with increased drink sales to the freebooters taking advantage of a free show. If that is the case, poor ticket sales is a bad sign that hurts to see. On the other hand, ppl taking advantage of this suddenly free show might end up becoming fans who will pay to attend future shows. Although if ticket sales were poor, that will decrease the likelihood of future SA shows there.

They could have turned it into a benefit to fill the food pantry for the holidays by asking for food donations at the door, but maybe that would have been too difficult to arrange at the last min?

But no matter the reason why, I'm glad the venue chose this route instead of just cancelling.

dells

disilluzion
O'Jeezer

Post by disilluzion »

I've been looking forward to this show for a few weeks, but now I see it's a free show??? Does that mean even though I have tickets it will still be first come first serve? And plus, the place will fill up with drunks that don't care about the band...total BS.

disilluzion
O'Jeezer

Post by disilluzion »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Such a creative name for a venue. :roll:
Agreed. Playmaker's remodeled a few years back and now they have a bunch of small bars inside the place, and named the whole thing "The Hub." Now Playmaker's is just the name of one of the bars and the former Pavilion was changed to "The Venue." It seems to me they tried to make it look like 1st Ave or even the Myst. Last night was my first night there since they remodeled...I don't like the crowds that place usually gets; I prefer dive bars.

But anyway we arrived around 6:30 for happy hour drinks and some grub, and they actually had free tickets, so that way there was no worries about waiting in line had there been one. So first thing I did was trade in my purchased tix for free ones and $30 back. It luckily wasn't busy until close to 9:00, when SA hit the stage. But funny thing is, even with tickets required, I was in and out of the "Venue" portion of the place a handful of times and was never prompted to show a ticket.

And did anyone else notice the CCTVs everywhere? That means there must be "professional" video somewhere of the show...or maybe they don't tape, just a live feed, I dunno.

Also, the mean trick by the boys: There were lots of cheers after Runaway Train, because as we all know, EVERYONE knows that song. So Dave asks if we want them to play it again. It garnished more cheering and I never thought in a million years they would actually start the song again, but they did. Luckily it was just a joke and they switched into a different song after the first few bars.

SeeYouLaterAlligator
Stranger

Post by SeeYouLaterAlligator »

Just got back from the show - the crowd was weak - but I would love any SA show - so to hell with the crowd.

Here's the setlist...

Bus Named Desire**
Just Like Anyone
Bittersweetheart
All Is Well
Whatcha Need
Never Really Been
String of Pearls
Closer to the Stars
Sometime to Return
Oxygen
Somebody To Shove
Cartoon
Gone Till November**
Easy Street
Runaway Train
Fake Start Runaway Train - Dave's Pie Song
Black Gold
Without a Trace
Misery
Lately
Slowly Rising
-----------------
Stand Up and Be Strong
My Generation (Setlist said Final Solution)

** Not on setlist

The guys also did a Doors like peotry vamp between two songs - can't remember which one.

Saw about 6 people that seemed to know the words to almost everything they did. Everyone else wanted to hear Runaway Train and Misery.
The fake Runaway Train came about by a group of drunken n'er do wells behind us chanting encore after Runaway Train, Michael hit that intro roll and Dave was already laughing after the c chord - you knew they were going to pull a swerve...

It was my first opportunity (4th show) - to see Bus Named Desire, All is Well, Whatcha Need, Never Really Been, November, EASY STREET, lately, and Stand Up and Be Strong..I enjoyed them all. If I had my drothers - Crazy Mixed Up World would have taken over for Whatcha Need.

My bandmate Jeff had this to say about Dave "For a guy that looks like he could be living in his parents basement and pumping gas, he sure is a showman" Him and his girlfriend enjoyed the show - so did my wife (who does not want me to attempt Dave's dance moves - but) - they just didn't like the crowd.

I seriously would be suprised if they played Fargo again. But that said I was also suprised to hear some great oldies besides just GDU and LYDLS songs.

Cheers

Charles

disilluzion
O'Jeezer

Post by disilluzion »

The crowd sucked because it was a free show. If they had stuck with actual ticket sales the place would have only been half full, but a much better crowd. It was hard to get into a lot of the show because of the crowd, which says a lot.

My friends and I still enjoyed the hell out of it though, except the 2nd Runaway Train tease; as soon as I heard it I turned around to get more beers so I didn't know a swerve was coming.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

All ways love Bus named Desire, glad you got to hear it. If I had a second shot at Runaway I think I would like to hear it Disco, I know Micheal could do it! Lounge Lizard or Country would be fun too. Guess not good crowd relates also to not much new material. I think they have now been doing TSL for 3 years.

Nice to get $$ back. It's like an early Xmas present. Glad you al had fun. Dells did you make it? Dave's Pie Song?!? Lemon Mereingue (sp?). OK love the guy in the basement comment. How do you think they got so good at playing those guitars... Wayne, Garth ?!?

Shwooing!