2009 Dec. 4th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
sometimetoreturn
Marionette

Re: Going to the Show (1st Ave)?

Post by sometimetoreturn »

I'm in ,mike b. Boston

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

crawl wrote:Thought I would post a new thread, Did not want to wade back through the old one. Was wondering who all was planning on going. We are throwing fiscal responsibility to the wind in a desperate attempt to maintain our sanity. Any one already booked in?
Oh I so wanted to go Meg! But it wasn't panning out for Laura, so I was still going to try and make it with the hubby but that didn't work either..And now I am starting my new job this week..so everything was working against me! Thats Ok..Laura and I are going to try again next year! Hoping for a concert closer to us to tide us til then..so if you see Dave you tell him to get his butt down here stat!!LOL Have fun and I can't wait to read your and Jim's reviews when you get back!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Dells and Rusty,

Sorry you guys and Laura won't make it. Weather was bad last year hoping for better, sorry to hear about the car. Hope the new job is exciting. Never think they give you enough in those settlements. Glad you will make it to ND. Since Tommy liked Aquapaloooza so much maybe they will do it again. Double header is out for me. Already stretching things just going to one. Maybe next year for that, hate to leave teenagers home alone for too long. We will miss you guys. Glad to see so many others will be there. I know I have not met all yet, looking forward to that.

Updates to follow...

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Hey guys going to the First Ave show, please post a setlist of this show at least by early afternoon the next day, ESPEACIALLY if they play any brand new material, so if I'm brave enough to try to shoot some video at Saturday's Fargo show, I'll have a heads up on when in the setlist to be expecting a new tune so I'm more likely to have the camera out & ready for it, as I will likely have it put away for most of the show while I'm standing & rocking to the music. I will only try recording while I'm sitting in my scooter resting, which wont be often, or for very long.
For once Soul Asylum's consistantly-the-same setlists might be useful. ;P

dells

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

dells wrote:Hey guys going to the First Ave show, please post a setlist of this show at least by early afternoon the next day, ESPEACIALLY if they play any brand new material, so if I'm brave enough to try to shoot some video at Saturday's Fargo show, I'll have a heads up on when in the setlist to be expecting a new tune so I'm more likely to have the camera out & ready for it, as I will likely have it put away for most of the show while I'm standing & rocking to the music. I will only try recording while I'm sitting in my scooter resting, which wont be often, or for very long.
For once Soul Asylum's consistantly-the-same setlists might be useful. ;P

dells
Well, it looks like it wont matter if I know where new material might show up, as I wont be able to try to record video after all - I just confirmed that my camera's videos are not recording sound for some unknown reason. :(

But I still want to see the First Ave setlist ASAP, to get even more excited for my Fargo show, with or without new material.

dells

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Since it will likely be just the 10 of us at the show, we should have ample room to make sure and keep track of everything :). Don't let the recording ruin your show... it is just not worth it. I probably will not have any internet access btwn the the two shows so my imput will be late. Sleep, drive, sleep. If you want to PM your # I think I can fit in a call.

So good to have something to look forward to, not just a show but the possibility of new songs too! Like the look of the tomatoes too.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

From Minneapolis City Pages, copied and pasted for your reading ease:

Soul Asylum

First Avenue

Local-music awareness is a fickle beast. For the observer of our goings-on, there seem to be two tools—the telescope and the microscope. While bands like the Replacements get Chuck Close portraits decades after their breakup, and Dante and the Lobster score Picked to Click rights, modest titans like Soul Asylum seem relegated to a more devoted, memorial set. Their major-market successes are few, but Soul Asylum remains a big-print affair for thousands of local listeners. What slew Nirvana, Soul Asylum survived—they've endured the bursting of the grunge bubble, the advent of formidable new forms, and the death of a bandmate. And to top it off, they're still Mainroom material. That's a hardy makeup. Listen to their more recent materials, see them live, and you can hear the existential callouses. Others may have climbed farther, but few have walked farther. There's no two ways about it—Soul Asylum is our treasure. With the Tomatoes. 18+. $18/$20 at the door. 7:30 p.m. 701 First Ave. N., Minneapolis; 612.332.1775. —David Hansen

http://www.citypages.com/2009-12-02/mus ... -and-more/

mysterywb
Stranger

Post by mysterywb »

It's killing me that I can't make this show! I tried to make it work but alas... to no avail. I hope everyone that's going has a great time. Can't wait to see the reviews! :)

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

We will missy you too Wendy, wish you could have made it! Maybe I can carry the beer this time ;)

Thanks for the article post. Good press! Will let all know about the show, hopefully get a set list, as I am usually having too much fun to remember to write it down!

:P :twisted: :P

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

See ya'll at the show that are going!

-Aron
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"