2009 Dec. 4th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
earplugsrequired
Lone Rider

Re: Going to the Show (1st Ave)?

Post by earplugsrequired »

Hello everyone.. I should have joined here sooner but been away from Soul Asylum internet stuff for a long time.

Show was amazing. It was like I/they hadn't been away at all. Met some great new people and saw some wonderful friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. Funny how time changes and things stay the same. There is a saying about how you can never go back, it doesn't hold true.

I should have stayed in the midwest and gone to Fargo..

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

zany wrote:oooh videos are up (thanks jOhnnyquestions!!!)

easy street (with part where dave says they'll spare you the new stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9v6ZdIDJ6s

all is well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETp1DlKT ... re=channel

sometime to return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UQu6F_m ... re=channel

my generation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gW4mlK ... re=channel
And just like that, I'm already counting the weeks until my next show. When we were standing outside First Avenue before doors opened, I remarked to folks that this might be the last holiday show I traveled to see, and how it might be time to stop flying all over the country for shows. But every time I see them, I think to myself, "THIS is why I keep going out of my way to see them." They are just so damn good. No question, one of the best live bands ever.

Thank you JOhnnyquestions for the videos.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Miss Fitt 2
Seeing Dave come out in a Saints t-shirt for the encore made me smile. Even though he had his outer shirt buttoned up, I recognized the tip of the fleur-de-lis right away. (Geaux Saints!) But at the same time, I thought it wasn’t the best choice while playing for an audience who takes pride in him as a native son and hometown hero.
I thought the whole Saints thing was quite humorous. Where I was; he got plenty of boos, but all in good fun. Dave is still "our native son" and "hometown hero;" 1st Avenue was absolutely stuffed. There really is no place like home.

I haved lived and died with the Vikes since 1975 when Drew Pearson pushed off on Nate Wright; I was six years old, still haven't gotten over that. If you are from Minnesota but live in New Orleans and like the NFL; it can't really be that bad, most likely one of the two teams will be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl. I'd actually like to see a Saints/ Vikes conference championship game; just in Minneapolis, however.

The more I reflect on this show; I like it even more. I really liked the setlist and the order in which is was played. Dave has tons of energy; shaking,singing and head banging like he was 25, not 45 (or however old he is). Yes; I would have like to have heard a "non core" song or two...I did my best, Stranger, Black star, Nice guys etc..but I did like the set. Hearing STR and Oxygen; always help. Where we were I can't even hear Dave during Oxygen( a little hyperbole but)..; all I heard was everyone singing back, which was really cool.

The Final Solution...does anyone know; is this a cover song or what?

Back to the Saints/ Redskins game; when I left, The Redskins were up.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Sometime to Return wrote: The Final Solution...does anyone know; is this a cover song or what?
It's a Pere Ubu song.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Off someone else's set list... Thanks!

Just Like Anyone
Bittersweet
All is well
Watcha need
Never been
String (of pearls)
Closer (to the stars)
Sometime
Oxygen
Somebody
Cartoon
Easy Strets
Runaway
Black Gold
Without a trace
Misery
Lately
Slowly
Stand
Final Solution

Not on list... Gone till November, Silly Love Songs and My Generation. 23!!

Thought .... well surely NO ONE could go home complaining after that show!!! It shredded! Tomatoes were great... best new band I have seen in a long time. Will watch for them. As always 99.9% of the crowd was awesome. I am thinking that is the best it can get.

Could say disappointed about no new material, but what would I leave out? and while I would probably like to hear all of Horse... personal fav. glad it is not cliche... I'd rather drive a truck! Can't wait to read about Fargo. Know I am slow to post. So many fires!

Shout out to Mike, great to meet you. Enjoyed the nite cap :lol: :lol:
Great to see everyone else! It is good to see you alive! Judith, I am hoping for a Jazz and hertiage fest some year, will give you a heads up.

Thankful for a SA fest prior to Holidays, great stress reducer. November is a LONG time away...

Thanks for the U tube posts. Proves I was right about the shredding.

Happy Holidays all...

Sir_Loin
Lone Rider

Post by Sir_Loin »

Hey Everyone!

It indeed was a great show! It was actually fun to see Tommy be more animated throughout the show. I was a little disappointed that they did not play "Success is not so Sweet", but I have no idea if they ever play that song live anymore. And I love the Michael/Dave bit during "Watcha Need"....Parkas and Hotdish!

The Tomatoes were solid, I have seen some p*ss poor opening acts at First Ave shows (i.e. Sean-Na-Na at a Hold Steady Show). I really liked A Night in the Box last year, but The Tomatoes had more quality songs....

Again, another great Soul Asylum show at First Ave.....can't wait for next year!
Forever stealing pizza from Wilco,
Mr. Loin

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Thanks for all the reviews !!
I was unable to attend in person but I feel a bit closer after reading all the great things that have been said.

The one thing I can pass along for those who could not attend is a recording of the show.

http://s2.webstarts.com/LittleTooClean/downloads.html
(Near bottom of page)

A big THANKS to Perks for this one.

:)
Mike W

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'm definitely late on my review and would have liked to post it sooner but most of what went on was described in great detail. For me though, the show was awesome; no disappointment for me whatsoever.

Anyways, I'd strongly agree with the others who said that The Tomatoes are a great band; probably the best opening band I've seen SA play with.

Like mentioned, was also looking forward to new material, but it didn't hold me back from not enjoying the show one bit. All the familiar faces seemed to be up front, but during Somebody to Shove a couple new people earned their spot up there with help from the back by of course others pushing them there. Dirty looks seemed to be exchanged by those being pushed but all was well and those who were pushed let the others have their spot back.

This time around My Generation seemed to be a bit more rehearsed as opposed to the past few performances which seemed more "spontaneous" (which were funny as hell). Either way, both sound great. I'm really starting to really dig Final Solution too; great cover song.

As with all other First Avenue shows I've been to, I can really feel the amount of energy in the place; you can tell everyone is really into the show; amazing. Everyone around me started really rocking out when Dave broke out into Silly Love Songs, which is a great way to finish that song (I really look forward to see if Dave will add it).

It was great meeting you Sara; I'm glad you had an awesome time and got to meet them and get their autographs. Everyone else, great seeing again; hope to see you all again soon. Again, I wish I got around to post my review sooner, but already we had a ton of great reviews and I really enjoyed reading through them.

I'd also like to note that during sound check (I didn't catch all of it) I did I hear part of Let's All Kill Each Other (which the only time I heard it played was at last year's First Avenue show) so maybe they could still be referring to that as "new material". I don't know what else was played that was new though. Thanks for all the great videos already posted on YouTube.

--------

Update: Wow, just noticed the whole show is now available to download as soon as I finished typing this; thanks a bunch for posting Mike and Perks!
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Burt
Lone Rider

Post by Burt »

There are some pretty good pics of the 1st Ave. show on the City Pages web site.

Burt
Lone Rider

Post by Burt »

Sorry forgot to post the link, so here it is:http://www.citypages.com/slideshow/view/28914104/19