2010 April 24th - Dogwood Festival, Fayetteville, NC

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
kyuss
Brand New Shine

2010 April 24th - Dogwood Festival, Fayetteville, NC

Post by kyuss »

I'll be there 8-)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: Fayetteviile NC 24th

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

My friend Joanna went to this show; she lives in Fayetteville. She emailed me about the show, so here it is below. The song she didn't know was "Whatcha Need."

Joanna's email:

I texted myself the setlist b/c I thought you might ask : ) I really enjoyed the show. There was a lot of Dave humor that I think non-fans missed. There was only 1 song I didn't know.

Somebody to Shove
All is Well (liked this! think it was 1st time I heard it live)
Misery/Silly Love Songs
Easy Street
(dave explains that he is anti war but appreciates all of the soldiers "that have to deal with it, thank you fellas. and here's another anti war song")
Black Gold
W/O a Trace (dedicated "to our friend Karl Mueller")
New World (love this live!)
Just Like Anyone
Cartoon
Gone Til November
Oxygen
a song I didn't know. lyrics I remember: end is coming, dating men in black, circus freaks
(dave "loves" this song b/c of his guitar solo. "this is the best song ever" he turns to the drummer)
dave: what does this crowd need, michael?
michael: cold beer
dave: cold beer! thats good! what else?
michael:a pulled pork sandwich
dave: mmm, a pulled pork sandwich. what else?
michael: I don't know, fried chicken?
dave: what about a fucking guitar solo?

then he does his solo.

he had earlier told the crowd he would "try to watch my language b/c I see kids"
after this song he switches to acoustic guitar and says "no more electric guitar for me, i had too much fun"
the drummer plays a beat and he jokes about john oates and sings a few bars of maneater

string of pearls (with lots of hand gestures)
never really been
runaway train
closer to the stars
bitter sweetheart (with hip shaking)
stand up and be strong

no encore

he thanked the crowd a lot and did the "you're too kind" during stand up he thanked the crowd "jay z" style according to him

he also mentioned that he could have been in the crowd at Jazz Fest in new orleans, but he loved being here. dave looked thin. he kept having to pull up his pants!

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

he thanked the crowd a lot and did the "you're too kind" during stand up he thanked the crowd "jay z" style according to him

Wonder what "jay z" style means???

missthisgone
Inmate

Post by missthisgone »

Just got in from the show, stayed the night. Great time, band was in great form...got to see them soundcheck, doing some songs you don't get to see that ofter (18-alice cooper, etc).....love these guys, i bought 3 shirts...one i have never seen before, black arm steeves, with 2 aligators holding up a lady tight high rope walker!! (really cool, though).

they lady got the setlist pretty much right...not much to say there....

got some pics that i will be posting soon...

Lance (missthisgone)

missthisgone
Inmate

Post by missthisgone »

when they did stand up & be strong, dave said Eddie Vedder was joining them onstage, people all around me were like "that aint him" "is that him", "oh man thats awesome" it really wierded some hillbilllies out....(it was George)....also, dave messed up a little starting out the riff (i barely noticed) , then he was like, "i apologize for messing that up, but i know how to play it, let me show you" then he did it!! very cute, very funny...
Dave was handing out picks left and right to little ones in the front....one time he came out and gave a little girl one, and another kid wanted one, he smiled and said "its my last one, sorry" and shrugged. But when he came onstage, George handed him another pick, and he walked back and give it to her! amazing, hopefully future soul asyum fans were born that night....

also, i left after soul asylum, i read in a review and another person told me that dave came back onstage and sang two songs with the gin blossoms during their encore, played guitar on one. One was a cover song called "Now" (orginally by the Plimsouls) and Hey Jealousy (dave sang a verse?). I missed out on this, i shouldve stuck it out a little longer, but soul asylum was my whole reason for going , the gin blossoms are okay and all, guess i shouldve stuck it out and payed my respects...it wouldve paid off!!

Anyway, enough of me,

Lance (missthisgone)
Attachments
resive.jpg
resive.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 17866 times

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

George!!!!!!

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Here's an article I found, copied, and pasted from the Fayetteville Observer:

Gin Blossoms, other bands bring night of music to Dogwood Festival
By Brian Dukes
Staff writer

The smattering of rain did little to dampen spirits or attendance Saturday night at the Dogwood Festival as '90s rock bands Soul Asylum and Gin Blossoms performed in front of a crowd of approximately 10,000.

"You throw one hell of a Dogwood Festival, Fayetteville," said Gin Blossoms lead singer Robin Wilson, who could be found as often as not mingling with front-row audience members, dishing out high-fives and letting kids take turns playing his tambourine.

Wilson was part rock star, part crowd conductor, often instructing and encouraging those assembled to clap along or wave their hands.

"All right, Dogwood Festival, let's get those hands in the air," said Wilson.

Hands went up, and so did several umbrellas as a slight drizzle punctuated the early part of the band's set, as it had earlier that evening at the beginning of Soul Asylum's performance.

For the most part, the crowd didn't seem to mind, having survived the earlier rains - one couple even shag-danced to the left of the stage.

Rain - or the threat of rain - did little to deter husband and wife David and Laura Whitehurst from showing up for the concert.

"The Dogwood Festival is tradition for us," said David. "We wouldn't miss it; it's just something we've done ever since it started."

Laura said the longtime Fayetteville couple loved last year's Friday night performance by .38 Special, but really yearn for the concerts to return to the streets of downtown.

"Festival Park is great; I love the concerts here," said Laura. "But nothing beats when Hootie & the Blowfish played downtown. With the buildings all around, right there on the street - nothing tops how that concert felt."

The pair hoped to hear Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train" and "Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms before the night was through.

Festival first-timers Charles and Holly Carpenter were just hoping to have a good time and learn more about Fayetteville.

"We just moved here, so it's nice to have something like this to do," said Holly.

"Everything's nice and clean and organized," added Charles. "They say there's nothing to do here, but this is something nice."

Soul Asylum lead singer David Pirner got nice with the crowd early and often, thanking those audience members who served in the military.

"Just to be clear, I'm not into war," said Pirner. "But I'd like to thank the soldiers and their families for serving our country."

Pirner and his fellow Soul Asylum inmates put on quite the show, performing a nearly two-hour set filled with the kind of crazed energy and reckless abandon of a band still seeking to prove itself, rather than established rockers.

Soul Asylum played hits "Misery" and "Runaway Train." The latter was not interrupted by an actual train, though at least four trains did pass through during the evening.

Wilson and his Gin Blossoms crew were equally adept at being crowd pleasers, playing several of their popular hits, including "Allison Road," "Til I Hear It From You," "Found Out About You," "As Long As It Matters," "Until I Fall Away" and "Long Time Gone."

The band even played selections from their unnamed upcoming album, including one Wilson declared was making its North Carolina debut, "Dead or Alive on the 405."

Wilson certainly looked more alive than dead, taking a moment to surf the crowd toward the end of the concert, which concluded with an encore performance of "Hey Jealousy" and a cover of "Now" by The Plimsouls, which featured Pirner on guitar.

"Thank you for your hospitality," said Wilson at the end of the night. "We're just a humble band from the dusty desert."
Staff writers Jessica Banov and Myron Pitts contributed to this report.Staff writer Brian Dukes can be reached at dukesb@fayobserver.com or 486-3523.