[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Forum | EnterTheSoulAsylum.com - View topic - Community Spotlight: Monolith Maniac
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Community Spotlight: Monolith Maniac 
The Judge

This is the place to discuss my article.

In case you missed it in the article, here is the exact clip (ripped from my VHS tape) where I was introduced to Soul Asylum.

Here is an enlarged version of my Soul Asylum collection that is shown in the said article.

Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

this photo makes me feel disturbingly happy inside :!:

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:35 pm
The Judge

I was going to post this for the thread but thought it would be better to post it here. Though the majority of my states how I got into Soul Asylum, I would really like to mention something that is very important to me which was briefly covered in my article.

I just wanted to basically expand upon on how important that is to me. What appears to be a simple 33 second clip (I spliced the video from 2 simllar segments into one so it's actually 49 seconds on the YouTube video) basically led me to explore many different genres of music, and not just the different genres (punk, rock, etc.) of Soul Asylum. Before ever hearing of Soul Asylum, most of the music I listened to consisted mostly of songs from the 50's and 60's. It seemed that I knew all the songs by heart (no, not Anne and Nancy Wilson's group :wink: ), and I think my time had come to move on and leave that era. I had moved on to listening more of the current airplay hits which mostly included a lot of hard rock, not to mention listening to 80's music which I could probably thank my older brothers and their fiends for (well I could now say I know some songs by Heart... by heart :roll: ).

While I was listening to all the Soul Asylum songs while writing the lyrics for the discography section of this site, I was asking some of the following questions to myself, "What if I never saw that clip? Would I still be listening to 50's and 60's music as much as I used to? Who would my favorite band be now?"

That clip of Runaway Train was the first time I had ever heard anything by Soul Asylum, even their name was new to me. Over the 10 years that have passed, I now have heard Runaway Train numerous times on the radio. But again I wonder, would the song being heard over the radio have given the same effect on me as the video clip... this effect being me here writing this message (on a Soul Asylum fansite that I am moderating nonetheless).

I'm sure you get the picture (or in this case the video) by now and how it holds a special meaning to me. Without it, I don't know if I would have had the awesome experience of listening to Soul Asylum's music, or would have had the pleasure of making friends on the Soul Asylum forums and meeting many of you at the concerts over the years which I have immensely enjoyed.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Inmate

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:04 am
Profile WWW
Inmate

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:23 pm
O'Jeezer

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:40 pm
The Judge

Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:30 pm
Profile WWW