Collectors Corner

Offer your feedback on the content that has been published to the site, such as our discography and our articles.
EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Re: Collectors Corner

Post by EasyStreet »

FWIW - I've been using WinAmp for my music player for years. In the earlier versions of that software, you needed a codec from their site to play compressed files such as ape, oog, shn, flac etc., however the more current versions have that stuff already built in.

It's free to boot! http://www.winamp.com/
(no pun intended)

Another FWIW - all of these free utilities cover almost all of my multi media needs: WinAmp, Traders Little Helper, WinRar, Video Lan VLC
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

I upload all my stuff to Google Music, and it streams flac files. Its fantastic,

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

dells wrote:Mike, would you happen to have audio and/or video of the Aug 17, 1995 show at Midway Stadium in St, Paul in your treasure chest, that you could share with the class? Notable songs they played at this show include:

Die In Your Arms
Can't Even Tell
Rhiannon
and...
Tied To The Tracks!

Thanks in advance, for checking your collection, at least, & hopefully for downloadable tracks on Soundcloud, or links to new Youtube clips from that show.

dells

Here ya go ;)

This time they are wave files so that should make things easy for downloading.

Soul Asylum
August 17 1995
St. Paul, MN
Midway Stadium

Somebody To Shove
Hopes Up
Shut Down
Black Gold
Bittersweetheart
To My Own Devices
Promises Broken
String Of Pearls
Tied To The Tracks
Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac)
Crawl
Misery
Can't Even Tell
Nothing To Write Home About
Runaway Train
Get On Out
99%
Just Like Anyone
Die In Your Arms
Summer of Drugs (w/ Victoria Williams and members of The Jayhawks)
Caged Rat

http://soundcloud.com/soul-asylum-archi ... 7-1995-st/

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

So if there's one thing in my collection that I get asked about many times it would be this.

As far as I know it was shown once before a Christmas show ( I don't remember which one... 2005 maybe) and once at a film festival.

My copy is a promo VHS tape (the only way it was ever issued) that I bought for over $200. It seems crazy but my point was to get it and share it as much as possible. I have been a collector of many bands and I've always hated "tape hoarders" . They are people who have shows but will not share them so they and a select few can enjoy. If you know me you know I am the complete opposite.

My copy was transferred to DVD and for the last few years I've been giving out DVD copies.

With the news of Dan leaving the band and the footage in the film being shot in the late 80's early 90's I thought it was time to go big with this so that EVERYONE can have a chance to see this great Soul Asylum documentary!!

Enjoy!! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkYFjWIkdb4&feature=plcp[/youtube]

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

I just wanted to say thanks for that electric version of Cut to the Chance from the 1994 show in NYC. I had only heard an acoustic version before. Definitely one of my favorite unreleased tracks.

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

LittleTooClean wrote: My copy is a promo VHS tape (the only way it was ever issued) that I bought for over $200. It seems crazy but my point was to get it and share it as much as possible. I have been a collector of many bands and I've always hated "tape hoarders" . They are people who have shows but will not share them so they and a select few can enjoy. If you know me you know I am the complete opposite.

Mike, I just wanted to reiterate for all of us how awesome you are for doing this stuff. Part of why I left the whole tape trading scene was because I was sick of tapers holier than thou attitude. Those who tried to monopolize a recording, limiting who you could share it with, and how. They really wanted people to prove themselves to access content, and it became a game about collecting shows for the sake of collecting rather than collecting shows because you love the band and want to share them with other fans.

I always shared your desire to share material with fellow (non tape trading) fans. The internet really enabled it in a big way, and I think you've done more than anyone in the community to ensure that the tapes are accessible to fans and not just collectors. This is a huge boon for the community, and for most people, a video on youtube, although lower quality is FAR FAR FAR more useful than a VHS tape made from the master, or even a DVD. I grew sick of the tape trading attitude that no shows should EVER be distributed in lossy formats. I understand that trading lossy files is bad, as they get reencoded. But most people just want to hear it, and don't really plan on trading it etc.

Thanks again for the hard work, and I'm so glad so much of the unofficial SA archives live with you!

Phil

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

Yes, thank you very much for all you have and what you give us. I've seen shows (and things about these guys) I thought I would never see. Nothing but respect to you and for this amazing band. I thank you all!

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

philgar wrote:Mike, I just wanted to reiterate for all of us how awesome you are for doing this stuff.
"I second that emotion..."

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

LittleTooClean wrote:So if there's one thing in my collection that I get asked about many times it would be this.

As far as I know it was shown once before a Christmas show ( I don't remember which one... 2005 maybe) and once at a film festival.
They showed it at First Avenue at the 20th anniversary show in November 2001.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

LittleTooClean wrote:Soul Asylum
Tramps NYC
August 23, 1994

http://soundcloud.com/musicmanmike/sets ... st-23-1994

Huh, never heard of this show before. Sound quality is great!

Any chance future uploads could be posted to Sendspace.com or some place for easy downloading? DownThemALl doesn't seem to work with SoundCloud.

Thanks again!