Collectors Corner

Offer your feedback on the content that has been published to the site, such as our discography and our articles.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Collectors Corner

Post by zany »

thanks mike!!

ok just because i'm curious - was dec. 31 1991 at the hyatt or at first ave?

i was just starting to copy some files and saw 'midnight medly' and though - don't i already have that ? so i checked and it's on your disc7 on the box set but your comment there says "** First Ave.- Minneapolis - Dec. 31 1991", so i was just curious!

the etsa show list says hyatt so maybe just the box7 notes are what's wrong?

ANYWAYS thanks as usual :)

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

It's at the Hyatt not at First Ave.

I've had to fix the notes for the set for one reason or another a few times.
A lot of info to put together at once I guess.
I thought I had updated this but I must have missed it.

Hope you still enjoy.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

I don't know what to say, THANK YOU, MIKE!!

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

I have a question. I just finished watching this movie "something out of nothing". Can anyone tell me anything about this movie? I mean, I tried googling it, but with no results. I heard about this movie when someone posted a part of it on youtube (the part when they're recording Brand New Shine) and that was it, until now. I was assured that the whole movie is nonexistant and chucked somewhere and that I will never find out or see more. But, now I know nothing about it. Can anyone tell me: why was this filmed? who by? (well, I know who by - that Rick and Phil - but who are they?) who was it meant for, for what audience? how did Phil and Rick convinced the band to go along? Anything, anything, does anyone know? Come on, guys, I know you know, help a fellow fan! :D
Last edited by spodiba on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Here is the info I have.

Rick Fuller and Phil Harder are film makers from Minneapolis.
They have shot other bands and made other short films including:

First Avenue "Hayday"
Gary Louris (of the Jayhawks)"Vagabonds"
7 Nights in the Entry
The Basement Tapes - First Avenue Music Video Archives '07

They also shot the Soul Asylum music videos for:

Artifical Heart
P-9
Sometime To Return
Cartoon (i think)
Easy Street
Horse interview

"Something Out Of Nothing" has never been released to the public.
It was shown once at a film festival in Minneapolis.

They also shot another Soul Asylum short film called " Never Too Late Never Too Soon"
I have never seen this one.

http://www2.bitstream.net/~hffilms/rfarchive.htm

I am the person who put the clips on YouTube.
http://youtube.com/littletooclean
I am also the crazy person who paid over $200 for the VHS copy of
"Something Out Of Nothing " from Ebay.
Check out http://s2.webstarts.com/LittleTooClean/ for more Soul Asylum collectors items.

Since then I have shared it with as many fans as I could for free so they could see the band in a documentary film that has never been released.

Mike W

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Thank you very much!
Yes, I found that Rick and Phil shot movies about other bands, including other movies about SA.

I didn't know this about them making SA videos, thanks

Do you know why it wasn't released or never finished?

Haha, yeah, I figured that was you, but I watched it on youtube long ago before I even found out about this site so I couldn't have known who LitleTooClean is and I didn't go back to that video to check (cause I downloaded it on my computer), and I wasn't sure if that was you who posted it or somebody else

Uh-huh! Now I remeber! I was reading long ago on this site about you buying something on ebay for a lot of money, and I couldn't understand what was all the fuss about. Aha, now I get it! :D

Again, thank you for the info and thank you for sharing all that with us funs, who otherwise might have never seen this material :)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Hey Mike. Happy Holidays and thanks for including Waukesha and the Azkena shows!

I was trying to download the december 2008 first avenue show from your site but there was a problem with Cartoon, Whatcha Need, Let's All Kill Each Other, I Did My Best and Never Really Been. Just wouldn't download. All others worked fine. Would appreciate it if you could look into it. Thanks again for sharing the material. :D

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I started downloading from this year's holiday show. Same thing happened with the first five (Intro, Just Like Anyone, Bittersweetheart, All is Well, and Whatcha Need). Hmm...not good. :(

Neither is Lately, same show. Same issue. :(

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

I was trying to download the december 2008 first avenue show from your site but there was a problem with Cartoon, Whatcha Need, Let's All Kill Each Other, I Did My Best and Never Really Been. Just wouldn't download. All others worked fine.
I started downloading from this year's holiday show. Same thing happened with the first five (Intro, Just Like Anyone, Bittersweetheart, All is Well, and Whatcha Need). Hmm...not good
I downloaded and checked the files myself, everything worked fine.
All I can say is keep trying they should work.

I can see other people have downloaded the files so I'm not sure if it's happened to others. :?

Anyone else having issues with downloading ?

Mike W

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

I downloaded both of those First Ave holiday shows soon after they were first made available, and didn't have any trouble downloading them at those times. I haven't retried those to troubleshoot your issue, but I am happily downloading the Waukesha, WI - July 18 2008 show. After that one is done, while I'm listening to it, I'll try re-downloading the songs you had trouble with & report back with my results.

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner