attachments ?

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
norma023
O'Jeezer

attachments ?

Post by norma023 »

Is there anything in the works for enabling attachments when making a post?

The only other option I see to do this is to post a link to the image/attachment........
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Considering the fact that some of the plugins we installed when we first started up the forum caused other features to stop working (such as signatures), I'd rather not install any additional plug-ins. In absence of attachments, uploading your images to some kind of web service (such as Photobucket) and then linking to them in your post is the best solution.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Homesick wrote:Considering the fact that some of the plugins we installed when we first started up the forum caused other features to stop working (such as signatures), I'd rather not install any additional plug-ins. In absence of attachments, uploading your images to some kind of web service (such as Photobucket) and then linking to them in your post is the best solution.
hate to be a nag about this (but I will), can't you test a feature like this on another server and just not make it "live" on the web host you're using until you've tested the plugin and made sure it works well with the codebase? You almost never want to try tests on a "live" system, but testing offline on a backup copy normally lets you know if such a plugin will work.

Of course my nagging is just that. We all know how much I worked on "changing" the o'jeez forum to make it better (of course, as it was hosted on yahoo, there was little I could do without first moving it away which I was too lazy to do).

For now I just throw images up on my own servers (i don't tend to trust/like commercial services very much), but I know this is a pain, and not an option for many people. Also these methods aren't reliable in the future as pictures posted may cease to exist at some point in the future. Oh also, I want to bump the question about RSS again, although I imagine that suffers from the same problem as attachments.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

While I get your point about trying new plug-ins out on backup copies, I have to be honest and say that it's just not a priority at this point. We're full at work with getting the site ready for February 1st, and when that's done we have other things in the works.

On a related note, phpbb3 offers native support for attachments, and using that would be the best solution because it's bound to be reliable. The same conflict arises as before, though: phpbb3 doesn't offer support for e-mail subscription.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com