View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:47 pm



Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum issues and suggestions 
Author Message
The Judge
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 988
Location: NW Chicago Suburbs
All posts that address the concern with forum issues and suggestions will be moved here. If you have any future problems/concerns, suggestions, or other questions regarding the forums or the rest of the site, please contact us first and we'll try to resolve the issue(s).

Thanks,

- Jim, moderator of Enter the Soul Asylum.com


Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:09 am
Profile WWW
O'Jeezer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:19 pm
Posts: 358
why is my email address showing in Pat's reply? Can that be removed?

If it mattters, I have that setting in your profile set to "hide" your email address, if that has any direct relation to this at all

Thanks

btw - I wasn't rubbing anything in pat, just passing along show information. Jeez - shoot the messenger now why don't you! :)


Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:09 am
Profile
Warden
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:31 am
Posts: 637
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Post 
That's a good question, Norma, and one that spurred me to examine the phpBB source code and see how difficult it would be to change it around. Turns out it wasn't very tricky, and as a result I've added a fix. From now on, whenever someone writes the e-mail address of a forum member, it will automatically be scrambled.

By the way, user emails in profiles and memberlists are hidden by default on this forum.


Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:01 am
Profile WWW
O'Jeezer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:19 pm
Posts: 358
Post 
Homesick:

so why is that the only post (so far) I've seen on this site that displays someone's email address?

Guess I'm still puzzled as to how someone posted and this was the result

Additionly, I have the box checked (for this thread) for "notify me when a reply is posted". I have yet to be notified for any reply made on this thread .


Last edited by norma023 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.



Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:45 am
Profile
Warden
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:31 am
Posts: 637
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Post 
norma023 wrote:
so why is that the only post (so far) I've seen on this site that displays someone's email address?


That must be because those other posters either replied directly on the forum, removed the quotes from the e-mail, or use an e-mail client that doesn't attach quotes.

Quote:
Additionly, I have the box checked (for this thread) for "notify me when a reply is posted". I have yet to be notified for any reply made on this thread .


I'm not sure. The easiest way to fix this would probably be to reinstall the forum, which I intend to do. (Backing up all posts and member info, of course.)


Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
O'Jeezer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:21 pm
Posts: 684
Location: Folsom, CA
Post 
Homesick wrote:
norma023 wrote:
so why is that the only post (so far) I've seen on this site that displays someone's email address?


That must be because those other posters either replied directly on the forum, removed the quotes from the e-mail, or use an e-mail client that doesn't attach quotes.

Quote:
Additionly, I have the box checked (for this thread) for "notify me when a reply is posted". I have yet to be notified for any reply made on this thread .


I'm not sure. The easiest way to fix this would probably be to reinstall the forum, which I intend to do. (Backing up all posts and member info, of course.)


Does this mean that people who receive posts via e-mail will get the posts with the users email address attached? That doesn't seem right if you have it set to not display your email address. Personally I think there should be three options with regards to e-mail and personal information (with some not available to people under 18 or whatever), and that would be e-maiil/information is available to the world, email/information available to logged in members, and email/information available to no one. I'm sure patches for these security models exist somewhere.

Phil


Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Warden
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:31 am
Posts: 637
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Post 
Well, the way it's set up now, only me and Jim (Monolith Maniac) can see any given member's email address.

As for the e-mail address of the post author being visible to those who subscribe: that's the way Yahoo Groups works, and mail2forum doesn't seem to support that kind of anonymity either.

Edit: At least, that's how I think it works. I've only sent one e-mail to the group, and it occured to me now that I may not have sent it to the mailing list itself. Anyway, the one I sent it to was "ojeezitssoulasylum" at the domain yahoogroups.com, and the reply I recieved showed the sender's e-mail address.


Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
O'Jeezer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:19 pm
Posts: 358
Post 
possible, but highly unlikely that everyone here is taking the extra time to do this.
>That must be because those other posters either replied directly on the >forum and removed the quotes from the e-mail......


so how do I get individual posts sent to my specified email? I don't see any options anywhere to do that.
>or used an e-mail client that doesn't attach quotes.


Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 pm
Profile
Inmate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:18 pm
Posts: 102
Location: St. Paul, MN
Post 
shouldn't this issue be taken up and redirected to another post somewhere else?


Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
O'Jeezer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:11 am
Posts: 28
Post 
philipgar wrote:

Does this mean that people who receive posts via e-mail will get the posts with the users email address attached? That doesn't seem right if you have it set to not display your email address. Personally I think there should be three options with regards to e-mail and personal information (with some not available to people under 18 or whatever), and that would be e-maiil/information is available to the world, email/information available to logged in members, and email/information available to no one. I'm sure patches for these security models exist somewhere.

Phil


I get individual emails for each reply and the email addresses are included for everyone. This was the same on the yahoo group as well.


Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:12 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.