Show statistics now available

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Homesick
Warden

Show statistics now available

Post by Homesick »

I just compiled a bunch of statistics pulled straight from our archive of shows, such as the total number of shows, most popular venue, number of countries played and so forth. Since I figured lots of other fans would be interested, I also put them all up in a brand-new statistics section.

There's lots of other stuff to measure, of course. If there's anything in particular that you would like to see, share your ideas in this thread!

Note: All of the statistics are loaded dynamically from our database, so they will update automatically as new shows are added.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: Show statistics now available

Post by dells »

This is an awesome and interesting addition to the site, Thanks!

On the default overall results page, is it possible to provide links to be able to request results based just on the data from the last 10 yrs and last 5 yrs?
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

dells wrote:This is an awesome and interesting addition to the site, Thanks!

On the default overall results page, is it possible to provide links to be able to request results based just on the data from the last 10 yrs and last 5 yrs?
It would be possible with some extra work. If there's considerable interest in such a feature, I might take the time to add it.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Homesick wrote:I just compiled a bunch...
I? Don't be taking all the credit there Jakob, Jim tells me he helped with this too ;)

Nice work though guys. I find the stats pretty interesting. :)

I think if you felt like it and had the time to do it, it would be interesting to see the stats broken down by time period like Dells suggested. They don't get out to California much anymore... and Pennsylvania? Sometimes I think there's some sort of anti-Soul Asylum force field at work nowadays keeping them from this entire region :P

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

AlyssaJones wrote:
Homesick wrote:I just compiled a bunch...
I? Don't be taking all the credit there Jakob, Jim tells me he helped with this too ;)
No, he deserves the credit for the compiling of the statistics page. The only contributing I really have doing towards the stats section is having to manually enter the records for the shows (which may/will change the outcome of some of those results). ;)

The page is automatically updated so nothing needs to be typed in (i.e. when another show is entered in the archive for them playing at First Avenue, the show count for the venue will go up one more on the stats page)... pretty sophisticated. :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Ah, okay, I get what you meant now Jim. :)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Homesick wrote:
dells wrote:This is an awesome and interesting addition to the site, Thanks!

It would be possible with some extra work. If there's considerable interest in such a feature, I might take the time to add it.
Actually, I think it would be more useful to put in a start and stop year. Shouldn't be much more work than going from the last 5 years or 10 years, just add an extra qualifier to the SQL count statements. I imagine most of the work was in writing the statement to get the counts of everything and sorting them up nicely. Adding the "WHERE x.year>1990 and x.year<2000" wouldn't be too hard... Just make sure you use a drop down menu and sanitize the inputs (ensure they're only digits). Don't want a little bobby tables incident.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

That's right, Alyssa: while Jim did spend hours on end manually entering all of that data, I deserve all the credit for taking an hour to write those database queries. ;)

I'll do as suggested and put in "start" and "end" textboxes so you can analyze the data in any time period. It should be done in not too long.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Alright, I've added the ability to look only in a specific time period. Try it out!

RaSTen
Brand New Shine

-

Post by RaSTen »

Okay granite, but since you did not pay me the under the table gratuity fee I will have to cause you to have intermittent troubles as well.

BUWAHHHHH