Forum keeps going down in the afternoon?

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Forum keeps going down in the afternoon?

Post by philipgar »

Am I the only one who seems to notice that for that past week or so, the forum seems to go down for a few hours in the afternoon? It seems like a server error where the mysql server is down, or not responding properly. Does anyone know what's been going on, or am I the only one who has so little real work to do that I can check the forum every few hours in lab...

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Forum keeps going down in the afternoon?

Post by Closer »

I too have little to no work at the moment so I'm able to check the forum a lot, and yes, I too notice that it goes down sometimes, even in the afternoon for me, which is morning for you Americans, I suppose.

shizzle
Stranger

Post by shizzle »

I've noticed that too. For the past week or so whenever I've tried to log on I got a bunch of error messages on the main page where the forum info. is. You're not alone.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

I usually view the forum as a guest because I'm too tired to log in, but I notice that the forum has gone silent for a while (e.g. the homepage would indicate that the last update would take as long as 1 day, which is unusual for Soul Asylum fans).

I also would like to point out the absence of our dear webmaster...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Yeah, same problem here; most likely some server error.
shizzle wrote:For the past week or so whenever I've tried to log on I got a bunch of error messages on the main page where the forum info. is.
Only reason those error messages do appear on the front page is because they are directly linked to the forum threads. Since the main page can't find the information from the forum (most likely because of some server error), it displays the said messages; otherwise the rest of the main page/site appears to be fine (at least for me).

A little off topic, but for those who have some time to kill and may not have checked it out within the past month or so; visit the biography section. We've updated just the history of the band to also include individual band member profiles with their band and trivia information.

If you got a good trivia entry for one of the band members and don't see it listed, PM me and be sure to add it. :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

lune ellise wrote:I usually view the forum as a guest because I'm too tired to log in, but I notice that the forum has gone silent for a while (e.g. the homepage would indicate that the last update would take as long as 1 day, which is unusual for Soul Asylum fans).

I also would like to point out the absence of our dear webmaster...
I think it depends on the day. I would say weekends during the summer probably cause some people to lean away from the computer (as this might be the case for the no posts for over 1 day). Most of my visits and views of posts I browse as a guest (though I l do login at least 2x a day to check for any private messages). If I'm not logged in and see a post a want/need to reply to, then I login and post.

Another reason might be that some members don't like creating topics (just viewing or replying to them). I know a few people like that, including me. I think of a lot of topics often but I just don't feel like they'd be interesting enough or good enough to warrant a topic about (I don't know why I think this but I do).

I also think when the bulk of members who do a lot of the talking on the forum too don't come on a day or two without visiting, it seems like the forum isn't active since many of the topics seem to get replies pretty quickly.

As for Jakob; I know he's been in the process of moving, so that may be one of the reasons contributing for his absence.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

lune ellise wrote:I also would like to point out the absence of our dear webmaster...
Wow, I didn't think anyone would notice, but I'm glad to hear that someone did. You're right, though, and the fact that I'm moving soon does indeed contribute somewhat to it. Even then, I'm usually not all that busy, and I will try to be a little more active than I've been recently.

As for the forum going down regularly, I wasn't aware of that. Could someone send me a copy of any error messages that appear when the forum goes down? Does it affect just the forum or the entire site?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

As for the forum going down regularly, I wasn't aware of that. Could someone send me a copy of any error messages that appear when the forum goes down? Does it affect just the forum or the entire site?
I usually log on to the main site to check the Latest Discussions to see if there have been new posts, and I've noticed in the past week that when I scroll down to check it I get a lot of errors and when I click on Forum it won't even load, but then maybe ten minutes later or so everything is fine again. I don't have a copy of it but I will make one if it happens again.