Private Message Feature Problems

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Private Message Feature Problems

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

The past couple of times I've used the private message feature I've had a problem with getting kicked out and having to log in again if I click on a new folder. Just now I was typing in a private message and when I hit preview, it kicked me out. Of course, when I logged back in, the message was gone. Now I'm going to have to start all over -- and it was a kind of long message. Crap!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Gotta go type now. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Private Message Feature Problems

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I haven't had any troubles; but thanks for bringing it up. It might be a browser issue. Which browser are you using?

In case you aren't aware, you can always hit the Save (located by the Preview and Submit) button and your message will be saved even if the problem continues to occur and you have to log back in.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

It shouldn't be a browser issue; browsers don't affect what happens on the server (which is where phpBB happens). I can only give the same advice as Jim: save your messages beforehand. Let us know if the problems get out of hand, though—a phpBB reinstall might be warranted. (I tried to update the forum a couple of months ago but the process was messed up, preventing any further update, so a reinstall might be needed regardless.)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Thanks, guys. That's good advice. I'll do that from now on.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Okay, I tried saving drafts before previewing them. For the past week, that has worked fine. The only time I got kicked out was when the message was really long, but it still saved the draft.

Until today. Granted, the message was long. But this time, when I hit Save, I got kicked out to the log in screen. When I logged back in, the draft had not been saved. I checked in the manage drafts part and in every folder. No draft. :(

Please, no smart remarks about the lengthy messages. :)

Just an FYI.

I'm going to go type now.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:Okay, I tried saving drafts before previewing them. For the past week, that has worked fine. The only time I got kicked out was when the message was really long, but it still saved the draft.

Until today. Granted, the message was long. But this time, when I hit Save, I got kicked out to the log in screen. When I logged back in, the draft had not been saved. I checked in the manage drafts part and in every folder. No draft. :(
The only thing I can think of is that you are exceeding the time limit of a session in which you can be logged in the forum (which is currently an hour). If your computer doesn't detect any activity between forum pages (keystrokes don't count), you'll automatically be logged out. So if if you log in and type half of your message in 20 minutes and go finish the rest 42 minutes later; HIT SUBMIT or SAVE, and you're out of luck... cause it automatically timed out.

If it is this problem, I'd just recommend to save it before you leave the room or save it when know you're not going to be able to finish the post in under an hour.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Thanks. I'll try that. :)

trudatman
Runaway

Post by trudatman »

just do all of your typing elsewhere and paste it in when you are done. pretty simple.
"excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on." "I'm not not licking toads." - H. Jay Simpson

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

I've had this happen to me on other sites before, typing a longish pm, then go to actually send it and it takes me to the login page.

Culprit was I timed out on the site. If that is happening to you, some good suggestion have already been mentioned, another one I'll add is when you are done typing up your message, instead of hitting "Save" or "Submit", highlight the entire message and "copy" it to your clipboard. Then if you've gotten kicked out, log back in, get into the PM section, then "paste" your message into a new PM and send it off right away.

Or, before you send off that PM, open up this site in a new window (or tab). If you are already logged in on that other window, then go back to the window where the pm is and send it off.
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Thanks. I've been copying my message before I hit preview and then pasting it back in on the occasions when I get kicked out. It's been working really well.

I appreciate everyone chiming in with suggestions. Thanks again. :)