Videos, videos, videos!

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Homesick
Warden

Videos, videos, videos!

Post by Homesick »

If you haven't found it an enjoyable pastime to browse through our entire discography just to look at the band's music videos, you're in for a treat! I just added a Videos section to our discography, listing all of the band's official music videos along with links to their song pages. I've also put a "Video of the Moment" on the front page.

I've decided to go with the Yahoo player for most of these videos because it looks slick and refreshing. I know the time slider isn't working, but on the other hand Yahoo has the best image quality I've seen online. If you've got any opinions on how it works, good or bad, feel free to express them here.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Videos, videos, videos!

Post by AlyssaJones »

Hey, nice job! You know, there are alot of videos of theirs I never bothered to watch because I couldn't find them in very high quality on YouTube, but most of them are really nice and clear on here.

Except the Artificial Heart and P-9 ones aren't working. (I'm sorry if you already know this and I hope you don't get annoyed at me for telling you, because I already got yelled at once today for constructive critiscm.) And, I don't know if it's a problem with the site itself or if it's just because my computer is a piece of junk, but at the begining of the Sometime to Return video there was audio from a Tylenol ad playing over it. (I just paused the video and waited till it was over though)

That's all. Again, nice job on the video page.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Love the videos...and the Swedish Fish commercials!! Promises Broken does it too!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Swedish fish, huh...? I have to say I'm sorry about the fact that there are occasional commercials in those players, but since all record companies are jerks* there's little we can do about it if we want any of the band's videos on the site. At least you seemed to enjoy them, though. ;)

*Except for Twin/Tone, who have to courtesy to offer up both of their Soul Asylum videos online with no strings attached.
AlyssaJones wrote:Except the Artificial Heart and P-9 ones aren't working. (I'm sorry if you already know this and I hope you don't get annoyed at me for telling you, because I already got yelled at once today for constructive critiscm.)
Alyssa, thanks for letting me know. They're working fine on my computer, however, so could you describe in more detail what happens? Does a media player appear at all or is the space simply blank? What operating system and internet browser are you using? It's possible you simply haven't got the Quicktime player included in your browser.

Also, people who yell at constructive criticism are the worst—especially if they were the ones who asked for criticism themselves!

Edit: Oh, so that's Swedish Fish! (Just looked it up on Wikipedia.) Those are in fact Swedish, and pretty common around here. I'd choose the liquorice one any day.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Homesick wrote:Swedish fish, huh...? I have to say I'm sorry about the fact that there are occasional commercials in those players, but since all record companies are jerks* there's little we can do about it if we want any of the band's videos on the site. At least you seemed to enjoy them, though. ;)

[[/size]

I don't mind the commercials at all...its a small price to pay and the video is well worth the wait!!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Thanks for the new video section. It's very convenient having the official videos in one place. They look great, too.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Homesick wrote:Alyssa, thanks for letting me know. They're working fine on my computer, however, so could you describe in more detail what happens? Does a media player appear at all or is the space simply blank? What operating system and internet browser are you using? It's possible you simply haven't got the Quicktime player included in your browser.
Oh, they're working now. Must have been my computer. Everytime it rains it starts coughing up hairballs. Although it wasn't raining the other day... *ponders* Well, no matter, it's fine now, so I don't think you need to fix anything.

I'm still marveling at the quality of the Sometime to Return video. It's one of my favorite SA videos and I'd never seen it before where it wasn't all blurry.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Does anyone else have trouble getting the sound to work on the Yahoo players? More often than not, the audio is simply muted on my computer even when the other players work fine...

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Although I've already been through the Discography to see all the videos that Jim already added, thanks anyway Jacob for making the video page.

I still can't view the videos for P-9 and Artificial Heart. :( Maybe it's because I'm using IE (although I'm on my cousin's computer now and she doesn't have Firefox). After I get back home and on my laptop, I'll try it with Firefox to see if the videos play or not.

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.