Unknown CD in the ETSA Header

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: Unknown CD in the ETSA Header

Post by Sometime to Return »

Monolith Maniac
that's the second time I've been referred to as a geek/nerd today
Way to take it in stride; Monolith Maniac, humor is a great a thing.

I think Sheryl is onto something here with a "press" section. Although; most of the articles maybe older, it would be fun to go back to read and rehash 'em.

Jamie.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Someplace for vintage articles would be fun.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

The tour schedule isn’t exactly “thick” (to quote Sheryl); we can only rehash the 1st Avenue show so long, articles will be a great way to pass time in the cold winter months.

For me; these articles will be “fresh.” I never read any articles; I never watched any videos and they weren’t really on the radio. I just bought the albums or tapes or cd’s; played them non-stop and went to the shows.

There was a post somewhere that said Dave (I think) grew up in Kenwood. Not sure if that is true or a hyperbole. If it is true; I now get the “sarcasm” relating to Homesick fifteen years later. :roll: :roll:
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

An article section like that would be cool for this site. There really isn't a lot of Soul Asylum stuff like articles and interviews to be found online, especially not from the 80's and 90's, except for maybe the Never Forever Whatever site, but seeing as this is the only real active SA fan site, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate that.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Closer wrote:An article section like that would be cool for this site. There really isn't a lot of Soul Asylum stuff like articles and interviews to be found online, especially not from the 80's and 90's, except for maybe the Never Forever Whatever site, but seeing as this is the only real active SA fan site, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate that.
and by real active, you mean last updated 7 years ago . . .

No clue where caged rat has been since then.

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

sheryl wrote:Someplace for vintage articles would be fun.
I just want to make sure I didn't throw you off in the wrong direction... I agree that a magazine article section is a great idea (Jakob and I have discussed a section for this a while back). I wasn't trying to say in my other post that a magazine section wasn't a good idea or wouldn't happen; it's just something on our "to-do" list (something we might start working on after our current tasks are complete).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

You didn't insinuate at all that it wouldnt be possible,don't worry.

To answer somebody else, the old interviews are online and are easy enough to find. Google is your friend.

I wish I hadn't dumped coffee in my old computer, I had a lot of them saved on there.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

philipgar wrote:
Closer wrote:An article section like that would be cool for this site. There really isn't a lot of Soul Asylum stuff like articles and interviews to be found online, especially not from the 80's and 90's, except for maybe the Never Forever Whatever site, but seeing as this is the only real active SA fan site, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate that.

Phil
No, I said that this (enterthesoulasylum) is the only real active SA fan site...

And I disagree that there's a lot to be found online... especially from the older days. There isn't that much online from a band that's been going on for nearly three decades.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Closer wrote:
philipgar wrote:

Phil
No, I said that this (enterthesoulasylum) is the only real active SA fan site...

And I disagree that there's a lot to be found online... especially from the older days. There isn't that much online from a band that's been going on for nearly three decades.
by stating that you disagree you're basically telling me i didn't find all the articles i found, then? "no sheryl, you did not find a lot online because it's not there."

right.

i imagined them all, that's it.

we must have a vastly different definition of "a lot", because last year i went online looking for a particular article. i pulled up more than a hundred full length articles and literally hundreds of short snippets before i found the one i was looking for.
that seems to me to be quite a lot.

included in those was the infamous "up all night" rolling stone interview which was kind of a giggle because i know how much dave hates it, hadn't read it in years, and read the whole thing again going "wow, this is such a great article, too..." heh.

I found articles from guitar publications, every rock rag in the 90's, articles connected with virtually every record, alternative nation, all kinds of stuff.
I even found articles written by road crew (diary of a tour manager) who had significant segments on soul asylum.

i even stumled onto things that really had nothing to do with the band. something about mary beth mueller opening a restaurant, just because it had the words "soul asylum" in it.

if you type in the individual band members names you'll get even more, including things that are just bizarre, like peoples grandmothers obituaries.

if you're hunting for something specific there's so much out there it can take you ages to find it, which was the case this time.

there's a ton of stuff out there.

enough that i was irritated because i was looking for something in particular and didn't want to read about people opening restaurants or peoples family members dying.
those things were really none of my business.

but yeah, fine.
it's none of it there.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Last fall, I found a lot of old articles and interviews through my local library's website. Our library subscribes to many online databases.

The ones I used to find articles on Soul Asylum and on Dave Pirner were: ProQuest, EBSCOhost, and MasterFILE Premier.

Remote access to these databases through the Kansas City Public Library's website is only permitted with a valid library card number or I would have just posted the links.

Maybe your library subscribes to these databases or something similar. All of those databases are able to search hundreds of different popular, specialty, and academic publications and you can limit your search criteria by year.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)