A ban on "Dave's Pants" or "Dave's Underwear" posts

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Kradokk
Runaway

A ban on "Dave's Pants" or "Dave's Underwear" posts

Post by Kradokk »

All-

I know I lurk, more than post these days, but I have to toss in my two cents.

I hereby call for a moratorium on all posts related to Dave's Pants, Dave's Underwear, or any other sexually related gawking related to the band. It was humorous initially, but has gone well past the point of good taste, and has totally worn out its welcome.

Its one thing to laugh at a humorous "plumber's crack", but the nonstop mentions of rushing the stage to sneak a peak between the torn threads of his jeans adds nothing of value to the board.

As an example, if they hired a new female bass player, with an ample bosom and low cut shirts, I am sure the drooling over her gifts, and any commentary pertaining thereto would be seen as vulgar and unnecessary, and I am sure others would even take it as far as objectifying women and degradation.

So I ask, lets put this subject to rest, along with all those other ones we have agreed to do away with over the years.

Yours truly, an inmate from way, way back,

Joe Doyle
(Formerly ddoyle5686 from the ojeez and AOL board days)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: A ban on "Dave's Pants" or "Dave's Underwear" posts

Post by Closer »

Hm, are you serious? Well, it's true that when men mention women in a certain context, then it's described as sexist often, while if women talk the same way about men no one usually says anything about it, but that's how it is. There have been so many discussions about that. I'm a guy but I can't say I mind. You can always decide not to read the thread. It's a public board, people can write what they want as long as it's not out of order, and I don't see how this is, but that's just my two cents.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Joe,

Thanks for speaking your mind. The more me and Jim know about people's feelings on forum issues, the more we get to base our decisions on.

You are right in that comments like those are in essence objectifying to some degree and that they would be seen as such if it were a female band member. I don't think any of our posters mean any disrespect to Dave but I can see how it can be interpreted as such.

Apart from that, me and Jim have discussed several times the off-topic banter that these conversations often lead to and the risk that they could give the forum a disruptive atmosphere.

I will talk this over with Jim and let you know what we decide, but rest assured that we're aware of your concerns and have already been discussing the very same matters for some time.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Closer
are you serious?
That’s what I was thinking.

I haven’t read or seen anything that has “crossed the line.”

Let the ladies (and Phil :lol: ) have their fun. It’s done tongue and cheek; no malice is intended. IT IS OK TO LAUGH AND LIGHTEN UP.

So; for the record…I say let them have their fun.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Kradokk wrote:All-

I hereby call for a moratorium on all posts related to Dave's Pants, Dave's Underwear, or any other sexually related gawking related to the band. It was humorous initially, but has gone well past the point of good taste, and has totally worn out its welcome.

Joe Doyle
(Formerly ddoyle5686 from the ojeez and AOL board days)
Oh take a chill pill and get a sense of humor. As Closer already pointed out, this is a public board and you do have the option of not reading posts that might offend you.

As far as I can recall, none of the pants/holes comments has passed the PG rating, and have definately not approached PG-13 or R.

I'm gonna break your "ban" right away and point out that the only holes that are really complete are on his knee and the front of his thigh, and thus, are not X-rated in any way, even though his boxers leg is often peeking through the hole on his thigh. The "holes" in his crotch are not really "holes" one can see anything through. They are simply severely worn patches that have the outer layer of threads worn away.

Dave knows the status of those worn patches, and he is perfectly capable of deciding for himself when his modesty (or lack thereof) gets to his breaking point and he either choses to replace the jeans, or simply tries to refrain dropping to his knees (w his knees apart as he did in one photo) onstage and literally displaying his wardrode "deficits" for all to see.
IMHO as long as Dave continues to wear his severely worn jeans onstage, he is almost "inviting" comentary on their condition.

So I feel that as long as nobody starts gloating about spying any "dangling bits" if those spots give way onstage at some point (which wont happen, 'cause Dave surely wouldn't go commando under jeans that worn out), I say leave us alone.

I'm too busy watching Dave's facial expressions while he is singing, to even think about checking the status of those crotch spots, actually. His face is so expressive and I want to treasure every face he makes.

So Ha! nearly my entire post was about the condition of Dave's jeans, and I really don't think any of it was offensive.

Active discussions keep the board interesting, and I don't really care what the topic is. As long as it's lively, it's interesting to follow it's progress.

If/when the site's owner's feel the need to reprimand me for any of my posts/commentary, I'll take it from them, but I refuse to let another user tell me what I can and can't talk about.

dells

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I think there is definitely a line that exists, and it has been crossed numerous times. I definitely see Joe's point. I'll occasionally make jokes about Dave's pants in the "they're completely worn out, and he needs new ones", but they tend to be in the same vein as the "dave only has two t-shirts" posts. I definitely think there's a big difference between this, and gushing over everything else.

Although, I should know better than to put down such a post as I just end up starting up the conversations that I end up having to skim through because I just don't care to read about it. There are definitely some posts that have pushed the issue a bit too far, and it's starting to get old. There is definitely a double standard, as I know better than to make comments the other way on the board, it just isn't appropriate.

I know everyone here is just having fun, but the joke gets old after a bit. One or two occasional jokes about it don't bother me, it's the constant thread jacking into this that gets old.

Personally though, I see nothing wrong with the offtopic ness of many posts. I tend to be as bad as anyone about pulling conversations offtopic. Although perhaps I should confine such conversations to the offtopic forum. I know in other forums, the off topic posts are far more common than on-topic ones. Mostly just because there is little "news" about the band to discuss.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

grrr it just lost my post... oh well. i'm rewriting but it's all different now... blah.

i vote pro-pants-talk

don't even get me started on this gender issue you brought up (but too late) i don't think it's a gender issue. if women were ogled on this site to the same middle school level it wouldnt be offensive. example using yoru fictional bass player "oh her outfit at concertX was even more low cut than ever. when she played song Y the front row got a great view" Where i draw the line is when comment other than enjoying the scenery are made (ie describing potential actions etc. [sorry trying to keep my r rated example pg13 is difficult]). i understand everybody's line is different.

As to whether the topic is boring or getting old or in the way of other topics - that's another issue - and maybe you could ask people to be better at keeping it in the holeyness thread.

also is this ban proposed on all band-member-crushing or just pants related talk?

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

I do have to say in our defense that I don't really think we crossed any lines and by any means disruptive behavior. We have kept our gushing contained to one thread and even now that thread has died down to hardly any posts. And now on rare occasion "boxer sighting" or "holey jeans" may pop up, those are now way in my book crossing the line. As it seems to me that ...we said it ..its done .. and now we feel better that we have gotten it off our chests. And as I have learned it does no good to whip your dog for the shoe he chewed up 2 days later, if people have a problem they should speak up right away, instead of in their opinion let it get out of hand. In any event..what this comes down to is Jakob and Jim's opinion and I will respect their opinion how ever they decide.

On another note.....As disruptive behavior goes...this thread seems to be headed there..... :|

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Perhaps a compromise would be to keep the comments in question to that one thread. I think people tried to do that initially. That way the people who want to comment on it, or dare to read it, know where posts are and where to look. Similarly, those that want to avoid it can do so.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Twiddly Dee wrote:I do have to say in our defense that I don't really think we crossed any lines and by any means disruptive behavior. We have kept our gushing contained to one thread and even now that thread has died down to hardly any posts. And now on rare occasion "boxer sighting" or "holey jeans" may pop up, those are now way in my book crossing the line. As it seems to me that ...we said it ..its done .. and now we feel better that we have gotten it off our chests. And as I have learned it does no good to whip your dog for the shoe he chewed up 2 days later, if people have a problem they should speak up right away, instead of in their opinion let it get out of hand. In any event..what this comes down to is Jakob and Jim's opinion and I will respect their opinion how ever they decide.

On another note.....As disruptive behavior goes...this thread seems to be headed there..... :|

Rusty
I want to say the thread in question is the priners net worth one that really degenerated into talking about Dave's pants. I guess I brought them up, but in no way related to that, just as a joke about him wearing ripped pants and having 2 shirts. I should have known better though. From there came comments including one "in the flesh" one. I don't think it's a huge deal, but these sort of things seem to be invading more and more threads, and the talk isn't just one comment, but 5 or 6 in a row gushing. This is really where people start to get annoyed.

Sure, no lines were really crossed, but that isn't really the issue. In a topic about one thing, people don't want 6 or 7 posts about dave pants sightings. And please, lets avoid getting Jim and Jakob involved in this. It's not a matter of what is "allowed" and/or "disallowed". If the forum gets to that point where the rules have to be explicitly defined, and applied, than things are failing. I think a friendly thread about this is really all that should be needed.

Just think before you make a post and ask is this really the right place to do it, or if the thread is veering off topic, ask to have it moved to its own thread. Have consideration for others. It's not an issue of really "offending" people, but annoying them. I don't think Joe has anything against anyone in here, but in particular threads, he doesn't want to be reading about these subjects. Keep it contained, and it really isn't an issue. You've all done good about keeping it PG-13 and below, but it's just too much of an all over the place thing.

And, don't worry, I don't imagine this forum ever disintegrating into a non-friendly place. It's not like we have a pillow pants here (sorry, JFP reference) that manage to polarize everyones views on everything. We are a very good group here, and lets try to keep it that way.

Phil