A ban on "Dave's Pants" or "Dave's Underwear" posts

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: A ban on "Dave's Pants" or "Dave's Underwear" posts

Post by dells »

[quote="CloserAnd when someone makes a mention on something that's not necessarily about the original topic then you should be able to react on it in the same thread. [/quote]

I really like the way you said that, Closer. You obviously are far more talented than me at getting your point across with a line that is short and to the point. Your post appeared on the thread while I was composing my previous novel-length post where I took eons to try to say esentially the same thing during one "chapter" in my book.

dells

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

[/quote]
First, I do want to apologize for damn near biting your head off and coming off very defensive in my response to your post.

But the idea quoted above isn't what your original post suggested at all. You didn't post a reminder/request to confine pants/holes comments to the holeyness thread, you called for a BAN on all such comments, so yeah, I got a bit peaved at someone trying to tell me what I could and couldn't say, but I wish I hadn't chosen to reply right away so that "I" could take a chill pill first. ;)

dells[/quote]

No worries Dells, I myself should have probably taken a deep breath as well before getting worked up about it. By "ban", what I really meant was a ban on new threads discussing this same topic. All threads can end up constructively off topic, but instead of "A to Z" we were getting "A to Pants", again. I read another topic about it, got irritated and decided to express myself.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Kradokk wrote:
No worries Dells, I myself should have probably taken a deep breath as well before getting worked up about it. By "ban", what I really meant was a ban on new threads discussing this same topic. All threads can end up constructively off topic, but instead of "A to Z" we were getting "A to Pants", again. I read another topic about it, got irritated and decided to express myself.
I agree, Off topic posts in and of themselves aren't really the issue. There is nothing wrong with conversations wandering around. But when multiple threads seem to keep going to the same topic, and theres a perfectly "fine" thread on that topic it can bet annoying.

Della, I wouldn't worry about getting "off topic" in threads, I know I'm one of the biggest champions of going off topic. It can be fun, and has it's place. However if another place exists that quarantines off that conversation from everything else. . .. well you get my drift :).

Best of luck with the show!

Phil

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Hey guys - it's been a while since I am here in the forum (a week, which is a record for me).

I personally prefer no bans at all. Banning is a very aggressive action for moderators and personally, too much moderation in forums really turns me off. I would let everyone know that this is the only forum I am joining because people are very friendly here - moderators too.

However, I also agree that springing up some topics in other unrelated threads do alienate other users. On the defense of users doing that, being engrossed in a conversation sometimes lets one get confused from one thread to another. Another thing is that sometimes, the conversation gets too friendly that one assumes everybody in the forum knows what they are talking about.

I do think, again, that no bans or edits are needed to compensate for that - it really rests on the responsibility of the users.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum