Audio, audio, audio!

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Homesick
Warden

Audio, audio, audio!

Post by Homesick »

Audio is back!

It's been changed slightly, though: now you just have to answer the question once every 30 days.

Let us know if there's any trouble with it.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: Audio, audio, audio!

Post by dells »

Question for you:

Since you are offering these non-CD/commercially ubavailable songs on a site the band and management seem to approve of, did they just give permission to offer them here, or did they actually REQUEST to let them be available here?

I ask because if the band/management actually requested (even if they simply granted permission) this outlet for non-CD songs to get to fans, it's a huge leap forward in their interaction with their online fanbase. On a related note, it's really great to see Bennie giving them an online presense on Myspace as well.

It's irritating that Columbia (and the band's management at the time) didn't take full advantage of internet exposure at the time GDU gave them their biggest success.

dells

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

dells wrote:Question for you:

Since you are offering these non-CD/commercially ubavailable songs on a site the band and management seem to approve of, did they just give permission to offer them here, or did they actually REQUEST to let them be available here?

It's irritating that Columbia (and the band's management at the time) didn't take full advantage of internet exposure at the time GDU gave them their biggest success.
No, they didn't request that the songs be posted; I had asked them if I could put up some songs up for the site. They said sure as long as it doesn't get too out of hand (which it hasn't). One of the reasons for it was many people were requesting some of the various songs that are posted on the audio page, so we thought it'd be a quick way to share and distribute them.

I'll agree that they should have had more online exposure, but I don't know if the Internet would have been very successful at the time GDU was released. Very few people had it at the time (and to the majority of the people it was still unheard of... although any exposure even if little bit at the time would have been beneficial). :)

The Internet was definitely growing around the time Candy came out though, and even though Columbia could have been a little bit better with exposure, I think that site had a better layout and more exposure than their current official Silver Lining page (sans message board, many photos, etc). Their MySpace on the other hand, like you mentioned, has been a great way to spread their exposure.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Monolith Maniac wrote:Their MySpace on the other hand, like you mentioned, has been a great way to spread their exposure.
You've definitely got that right; if we could attract only a tenth of their MySpace friends to this site, this would be a pretty crowded place (which has its own drawbacks, of course).
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Monolith Maniac wrote: I'll agree that they should have had more online exposure, but I don't know if the Internet would have been very successful at the time GDU was released. Very few people had it at the time (and to the majority of the people it was still unheard of... although any exposure even if little bit at the time would have been beneficial). :)

The Internet was definitely growing around the time Candy came out though, and even though Columbia could have been a little bit better with exposure, I think that site had a better layout and more exposure than their current official Silver Lining page (sans message board, many photos, etc). Their MySpace on the other hand, like you mentioned, has been a great way to spread their exposure.
I agree that the internet was in it's "elementary school" stage during GDU, but where it was getting the most usage was in colleges and with teens, the demographics that really took GDU to it's huge sucess, so if even a small portion of those users had sought out more info online, word of mouth from those users would have spread, but, more importantly, when a band reaches out to their fans online, the interest in them grows, and the fans' loyalty rate soars, IMHO, which would have helped with the sales of Dim Light, I think.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though, so as I said in my first post, although it's unfortunate that the internet wasn't fully utilized at the time, it's fantastic to see them embracing it now. I mean... WOW! Dave wrote a personal note to the fans, delivering it via this site, AND they even gave us an exclusive new song!!

Lets keep that kind of fan interaction going, guys!!, at least occassionally. Giving the fans a shout-out during slow times is a great way to keep the fanbase pumped to keep watching for news of the band's activities (recording/touring, etc.)

dells