Important announcement about the site (2009 April Fool)

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Important announcement about the site

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Well Jakob, those 30 days we got are sure counting down quick; they're already taking over the site slowly. We've now got some promo video on the site! What next; they're gonna put a Paypal account on the page where you can purchase gift certificates for spa treatments and facials tomorrow?

Again, I still can't believe you did this. It may not be over just yet; I hope we can resolve something out with a spa of all places. If not, I guess it's just a new beginning of an end for our site... oh sorry, what was once our site.

Check it out:

http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/announcement.php
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Luv the promo video!!!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Yep, we were bluffing you all along. You guys found us out too fast, though, so we tried to prolong the joke with Jim's rant in order to build up for the video. Next time, be more gullible, like the guy in that song by Dan. ;)

I agree about the video—it's a lot more professional than the one I put together on my own before Jim stepped in to help.

Just one year left until the next hoax!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Given the joke last year and what today is, I figured this was another april fools joke. The youtube video was pretty cool and confirmed it for me.

That said, the day spa does look pretty inviting.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Knew it was too good to be true. 8-) If you thought I was fooled for a second, you were right, but only at first. After that, I thought I'd just play along until the big reveal.

Nice video. :P I've definitely seen those exact scenes in some spa commercial or other.

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

I'm glad some of you fell for it, but as already mentioned, since we did one last year it seemed like it was already a hoax (not to mention the forum posts from Blender magazine mentioning Soul Asylum sounding like a day spa). With all that said and done, I'll just share with you the files I used to make the video.

Woodhouse Day Spa Promo Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wumKIMImulk

Soul Asylum - April Fool (Spring Break '93)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODD17l2uteg

I made it real quickly last night in about an hour and a half since this prank/joke was more of a last minute thing that we decided to do (also because we made one last year and thought it'd be fun to at least do another one).

For anyone that's curious about our promo video, I edited and spliced about a minute and a half of audio and video out of the original spa commercial and just used the end of the April Fool video plus and threw in few unique moves of Dave.

Here's our promo video on YouTube in case anyone wants to see it again (or those who haven't) since we'll probably take down the day spa page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i56EfWWq7zo

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Good one guys! So disappointed in my self that I had nothing for today... one year I got a list of the lotto numbers, then bought a ticket for the next day April 1 with the numbers. Finally had to give it up when the neighbor called to say they were bringing over a bottle of champaign! Could not tell you how well had them going.. of course the dates are different, I did not get the winning numbers until today! (duh) My number one son said well since it is April Fools day... I will believe it when I see the cash!

LOL

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

PS Nothing like a nice spa!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

One of the reasons people tumbled to it so quick might have been that it's highly unlikely any of y'all forum powers that be would just let something like this go down without a heads up. There would have been some....hm....prep talk.

Should have built up to it all last month ;)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

sheryl wrote:One of the reasons people tumbled to it so quick might have been that it's highly unlikely any of y'all forum powers that be would just let something like this go down without a heads up. There would have been some....hm....prep talk.

Should have built up to it all last month ;)
Yeah, we probably would have built it up, but since this was more or less a quick idea we had; especially making a video, we did our best with the limited amount of time we had. I finished the video about 20 minutes to midnight since we were unsure if it should be posted right away or wait 'til later on in the day.