Important announcement about the site (2009 April Fool)

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Homesick
Warden

Important announcement about the site (2009 April Fool)

Post by Homesick »

If you've come here, I'm assuming you've already read the announcement on the front page.

First of all, let me just say that I'm as disappointed as you are with the situation. While all of it may seem unfair, there's really nothing we can do about it seeing as how the Soul Asylum Day Spa now owns the trademark for our site name.

Second of all, let me make it absolutely clear that this does in no way mean the end of our website: we still have all of our material, and the only thing they object to is the use of the "Enter the Soul Asylum" slogan. That's not so bad at all—in fact, it makes for an exciting new contest/poll: What do you all think we should name the new incarnation of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com?

While you're thinking, feel free to post your thoughts on the matter here. I fully understand any frustration, but I ask that you please don't retort angrily at the Soul Asylum Day Spa; they have after all allowed us to keep the site here for another month.

We'll be nice and cozy again before you know it! Oh, and don't worry about having to save any of your posts or material: none of the stuff will be removed, and me and Jim will work hard to make sure the transition becomes as smooth as possible.

Note: Here's how they had me set up the announcement page: if you navigate the site using anything but the links on the site itself (such as through bookmarks), you'll be redirected to the front page. This may not be the smoothest experience but that's how they wanted me to set it up so no one would miss the announcement. If you're having trouble getting around the site because of it, let me know and I'll see if I can do something about it. I managed to change the announcement so that it's only shown once for a single user, and they're okay with that. Let me know if it still behaves oddly!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: Important announcement about the site

Post by lune ellise »

Will a petition do anything to stop this? I really want to help. Is it a matter of money or something?

While you are right, I don't know what else to name ETSA. It's been more than a year and it would be quite sad to just give it all up to a day spa!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

WTF!?!?! Is this a haox or what?!?!? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... :|

I'll sign ur petition Fritzi! Let me know when you set it up!

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I don't like how it redirects to the day spa page every time I hit a submit button. It's a pain in the neck to get back to the forum to see if what I typed, or edited, or whatever, really showed up or not...or if it's an internet connection error on my part. :(

So the darkness fades

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Nice one; Homesick. It took me less than .5 seconds to realize the April fools joke. :lol: :lol:
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

HAHAHA...This had me fooled real good for about 15 seconds!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Soul Asylum Day Spa sounds like a nice way to spend the day. :roll:

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

jajaja... you are so creative!
... but I just couldn't believe it was true ;)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'm gonna post this so everyone can see how upset I am at the moment, especially with you Jakob... so don't don't alter anything or remove it; I'll just put it back the way it was.

As soon as I saw this on the front page this morning I thought it was false as knowing what day it was today; apparently I was wrong. When I came on the IM to message you about it, you just responded to me like it was any other day by just nonchalantly saying "Oh, hi Jim; what's up... did you hear the news :D" (with a big smiley face in your IM nonetheless) like was supposedly something good... Oh, is that the best thing you could say? You know exactly what I came to ask you 5 hours ago. Why didn't you even tell me and everyone else about this when you actually got the message 3 weeks ago!

Once you emailed me with your letter of opposition .pdf you received (and after about 5 times of me asking) I guess it was legit since I figured you were hiding something from me the other day. I saw that new favicon up in the address bar the other day I thought you just changed it. You couldn't have even bothered to tell me anything when I asked you about it which is something you never do. I guess I had to find out at the last minute eh; just like every other member here; I really appreciate the heads up.

All I can say is I want a piece of that lump sum you earned from this little "under the table" offer for the domain name as I put a lot of effort into the site (though I still find it awkward the place like doesn't even exist (Google Maps, or even any references to it whatsoever). I know we could change our domain name easily but it doesn't have to be taken out by a DAY SPA of all places; c'mon I thought I knew you better than that.

Being an administrator/moderator of the site I should of at least had a part in some of this (or had my say before you made any approval; it wouldn't have bothered me as much). But no; not any heads up at all, just go ahead and make the move Jakob; Jim will be happy about it... Well guess what... WRONG. That could be farther from the truth; it's way on the other end of the spectrum.

Jakob, if you decide to read this message, and I'm sure you will (that's why I turned the IM off cause you kept disrupting me while I was writing this). I know it may sound like I'm rambling; I'm just pissed and want to get all this out at what has happened (I have some other words I'd like to say, but I'll keep them to myself as a courtesy to the other members). I'll return talking to you now on the IM to some how see if we can somehow manage to reverse/revolve this deal or make some negotiation, but I highly doubt it since its in your little virtual signature.

I'm just writing this cause I think all the members should know whats been going on "behind the scenes"; I don't want them to be left out knowing any further news. I'd probably keep this short and simple to everyone but I just felt I had to let this out all of you. I want to apologize for this unfortunate news more than Jakob has. I know I would have given all of you a big heads up; even if most of you think it isn't a big deal.

If all this is still a joke Jakob and you made this whole letter of opposition for me I think everyone here should be able to see it. I mean what kind of domain for a day spa would be EnterTheSoulAsylum (I kinda get the tie-in but still don't seem quite right/professional for a business domain).

I put together a faux press release when I made that Coors April fools joke last year so it seemed more real; most of them bought it (it blows the doors off this one if its a joke). They think its false right off the bat; next time add it to make it sound at least a little more convincing and creative. If it is, I'll give you a little credit for trying; WAY TO GO.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

At first I thought this was real but then the likelihood of it being a hoax was just too much. It's a good hoax...a very good hoax in fact. But after your post Jim, wtf? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... :?

So the darkness fades