Website wishlist - have your say!

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Homesick
Warden

Website wishlist - have your say!

Post by Homesick »

After these recent months of intense studying (well... compared to what I'm used to), I'll essentially be done with this semester in three weeks. That means I'll have a lot more free time than usual, and while some of it will be spent enjoying the summer weather, I'd also like to take this chance to work on the site.

Instead of just hammering away blindly at something, however, I'd like your input on what we should add or improve. Is there something you've been missing for a long time that we originally promised or anything else that you would love to see on EnterTheSoulAsylum.com? Let me know!

I'll take all of your opinions into consideration, think about what can and cannot easily be done, and maybe put out some suggestions of my own before I start any serious work.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Re: Website wishlist - have your say!

Post by Twiddly Dee »

I will have to get back to you on this Jakob...You guys have done such a great job that off the top of my head I can't think of a thing that this site is missing!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

I've said it before, and since you're asking, I'll say it again. (I'll probably KEEP saying it until it happens in one way or another.) :P

Access to articles and stories from the early 90s.

Happily, we have acquired many members who have been fairly recently self committed into the asylum de la soul (just discovered Soul Asylum within the last few years) It's not their fault that they weren't around, or didn't have the exposure to Soul Asylum at the time to become Soul Asylum fans back in the early days when there was a wealth of Soul Asylum information to find and enjoy.

The sad truth is that there simply isn't much newly discovered info these days to find, outside of what we fans share on this awesome site. As the only active Soul Asylum fansite currently in existance, we owe it to the newly recruited fans to help them discover older material through this site, since the sites that existed at the hight of Soul Asylum's fame simply aren't online anymore, and not everyone knows about the Wayback Machine to be able to find older info on their own.

I understand the reluctance to repost information that was originally posted elsewhere. However, this site can at least provide a links page to connect newer fans with the older information that is still available online in one way or another.

Although these links have been mentioned in threads on the forum, they are buried way back there, and not many ppl have the time to work their way through pages and pages of forum topics to find an occasional link full of awesome info.

Information packed links I'd lke to see made available on a links page include:

Katie's Soul Asylum page:
http://web.archive.org/web/199812031626 ... apage.html
(no longer online, it's only available via the Wayback Machine, and contains a wealth of articles and fun tidbits)

Caged Rat's page:
http://members.tripod.com/cagedrat/sanews.html
(which was to the 90s fans what ETSA is to today's fans. Although it hasn't been updated in years, it is still online and contains a wealth of information as well, the star of which is his tour info with tons of great fan experiences shared in the reveiws )

Then, of course, there are the current official pages:
http://www.soulasylum.com
and http://www.myspace.com/soulasylumofficial

A link that would probably need to be O.K.'d by the band or management would be the link to their booking agency's site:
http://www.montereyinternational.net/ar ... oulasylum/
I can't understand why they don't provide their booking contact info on their 2 official sites.

Mike's new page ( http://s1.webstarts.com/LittleTooClean/ )sharing his awesome collection should also be listed on the links page. He does a good job of keeping it's forum thread from falling too far into the forum's depths, but it deserves the honor of a link on a permanent page of this site.

Sorry for the long, rambling diatribe on why I think the site needs a links page, but there it is... my 2 cents to use or toss away as you will.

dells

I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Post by I Love Dim Light »

i support Dells, links to the good old sites is a nessessary thing. in january i sent a message about the link to caged rat, Jim answered, 'simple google search...' and 'there are links via the forum'.
i would add the link to the old official, i think it was pretty good for an official site:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.soulasylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Actually, I started adding a bunch of old newspaper articles some months ago to be archived under Other Delights, only in a formatting consistent with our site instead of the wildly varying styles they're currently saved in. You can check one out here: Still Seeking Refuge. I'm just wondering whether the articles need to be made more readable through larger text or other changes to the formatting. White on black may not be the most readable style for longer texts.

I like your idea of a link repository—it feels a lot like a '90s kind of thing, but in a good way for once. The problem is that with our current site structure a lot of people risk missing out on great material as we stuff more and more material under Other Delights. I've been working on a navigation concept that more clearly shows what's available under the different sections. I might post a snapshot of it later.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

I agree with this suggestion of adding more old articles and older stuff. I have a suggestion too: maybe if you could add more videos and live performances (especially old ones, not those from 2000 and something) in the Songs A-Z section. I mean, I know we can find all this on youtube, but I just think it would be nice to have it all here in one place. That is, if you, or anybody here has or can find those live performances, I'm not suggesting stealing from youtube :D OK, that's it from me

p.s. Jakob, lucky you, only three weeks till the end of the semester, I have at least 6 weeks left :cry:

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I like the idea of a list of links to articles, whether 1) posting them on a single thread by everyone, both members and/or moderators as we come across them, or 2) creating a separate page under Other Delights with the self-same list of links to articles...added by our moderators as they come across them or we the members message the links to them, whatever's efficient and works best.

Anyone have other options or ideas?

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

You might want to check here.
Over 100 Soul Asylum videos all at one place :)

http://youtube.com/littletooclean

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Haha, yeah, I've seen your page on youtube, LittleTooClean, it's really incredible, thank you for that, I've seen quite a number of those 100 and something videos of yours. I think I left you a thank you note after watching one of your videos and realizing that most of the videos I was watching on youtube were actually yours, and that was before I discovered this site. Back then I thought you were a girl, and then I came here and I discovered your name is Mike :) I don't know why I'm saying this or why is this important for this topic. OK, never mind. What I want to say is THANK YOU for sharing those videos!! I suggested putting them all here cause I just thought it would be nice to have it all here, but you're right, you have quite a nice collection there! ;)

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

3 things I'd like to see on the site.
1- more Decent quality (256 or higher) mp3s of rare and unreleased tracks. ex: Time's Incinerator
2- guitar tabs and not just of the last few albums and hits. I'd love to have some of the musicians who know how to play some of the old stuff to post some tabs. I could do a few but lots of that old stuff is f--kin tough!
3- A direct link (could be called "discuss this song") from the discog page to a topic in the forum for each song. That way, people could put in reviews, thoughts, lyric analyses and memories about the songs in one easy to find place and any other stuff that people know or hear about the actual writing and recording of the tune could be included.

I think the more cross referencing there is on the site, the easier it'll be for people to find and discover new information.

keep up the hard work

J