New menu

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: New menu

Post by philipgar »

Homesick wrote:Alright, I've put up a menu that should represent the best of both worlds! Less horse-whipping now, maybe? ;)
that menu is much much nicer. Looks good, and doesn't have the whole menu drop down problem the other one had. Great work on that!!!

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I like it too! Good job!

caged rat
Marionette

Post by caged rat »

Now it´s realy awesome! Great work.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

was pleasently surprised at the latest improvement to the menu this morning. This version is MUCH cleaner and visually appealing than the previous version. This one's a keeper, IMO.

dells

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

Now I really like it :D
Thanks!!

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Homesick wrote:I'm working on another menu, however, that aims to include the benefits of both the old and the new menu into a single one, so stay tuned!
For a second there you had me worried that your 'another menu' would turn out even worse! But it actually looks almost as good as the old one. :P

Something else is missing though I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Hmmm... :?:

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

sayeeda wrote:For a second there you had me worried that your 'another menu' would turn out even worse! But it actually looks almost as good as the old one. :P
I'm glad you have confidence in me. ;)
Something else is missing though I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Hmmm... :?:
There's still some tweaking to do, namely: add a delay before the dropdowns appear/disappear, add an activity indicator next to the Chat link, and rearrange the icons so that the fish head and post-it aren't obscured. Was that what you were thinking about?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Homesick wrote: I'm glad you have confidence in me. ;)
Well, with a near-disaster like that text-heavy menu, I have serious doubts about your incorporation and design capabilities. :P
There's still some tweaking to do, namely: add a delay before the dropdowns appear/disappear, add an activity indicator next to the Chat link, and rearrange the icons so that the fish head and post-it aren't obscured. Was that what you were thinking about?
Not quite, something else besides the activity indicator. I'll post when it strikes me.

So the darkness fades

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

sayeeda wrote:Well, with a near-disaster like that text-heavy menu, I have serious doubts about your incorporation and design capabilities. :P
You're looking at it too narrowly. There are several technical and functional reasons why the text-only version is better than either the old or the current one, which aren't apparent when you're looking at the site merely from a design perspective. Technical reasons may seem less important, but they are in fact the reason why I had to re-design the entire site to begin with (since our first design from almost two years back was too heavy on graphics to load quickly for many of our users).

For example, neither the old nor the current menu allows for any practical way to display the number of people in the chat room, which I've found is a very effective way of getting more people to chat. That being said, I think the current design is a good compromise between the two edges of the spectrum.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Homesick wrote:
sayeeda wrote:Well, with a near-disaster like that text-heavy menu, I have serious doubts about your incorporation and design capabilities. :P
You're looking at it too narrowly. There are several technical and functional reasons why the text-only version is better than either the old or the current one, which aren't apparent when you're looking at the site merely from a design perspective. Technical reasons may seem less important, but they are in fact the reason why I had to re-design the entire site to begin with (since our first design from almost two years back was too heavy on graphics to load quickly for many of our users).
I was simply joking but you took it too seriously. :P That said, you do have a point.

So the darkness fades