New menu

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Homesick
Warden

New menu

Post by Homesick »

After a lot of planning, thinking, and fear of horse-whipping, we've put up an entirely new navigation menu. We'd love to know what you think about it: Is it good or bad to use compared to the old one? Is it pretty or ugly compared to the old one?

Let the horse-whipping commence!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Re: New menu

Post by sayeeda »

Well, if you can handle the truth, let the lashes commence:

Lash 1: At first sight, looks very clumpy on the front page (also, too text-heavy). Also, this blue is at odds with the rest of the blue used on the site.

Lash 2: The design of this menu (font, type (bold? underline?)) is at odds with the remainder of the site.

Lash 3: If the mouse is in the vicinity of any of the links, the whole menu opens, which I find annoying, especially if it gets in the way of something else I'm trying to access at the time.

Isn't there a way to keep and use the icons but incorporate the menu anyway? Maybe if the mouse passes over the icons, the menu for that section opens up underneath? Instead of the whole thing all at once? What say you?

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I think it might work better if the menu sections only worked for just their own section. For instance, if I move my mouse over the Discography section, the menu drops down for all the sections, which makes it difficult to find things. Having it just for a single section would likely be okay though, as then there isn't as much clutter, and less of my screen is taken over when I accidentally move my mouse over the buttons.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

Ack!!!

can't handle change!!!

i miss the cute little pictures you used to click on!!! :( :( :(

i agree with phil it doesn't make sense for all the drop down menus to 'drop' when you only put your mouse over one.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I think having individual drop-downs for each section is a good idea.

Also, I liked the icons alot. Did they really have to go?

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I liked the picture icons too. Perhaps if we hover over the icon, the appropriate drop down menu will appear?

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

zany wrote:Ack!!!

can't handle change!!!

i miss the cute little pictures you used to click on!!! :( :( :(
I miss them too!!!
And I think it's easer to find the section when there's a picture related to it :D

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I understand people's criticisms of the new menu, especially that it's missing the icons. There were several drawbacks in the old menu that inspired me to develop the new one, but also several benefits that sadly didn't transfer to the new one.

I'm working on another menu, however, that aims to include the benefits of both the old and the new menu into a single one, so stay tuned!

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Alright, I've put up a menu that should represent the best of both worlds! Less horse-whipping now, maybe? ;)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

WOW !!! that's PERFECT :)

i'm very impressed you were able to combine the old and new so quickly!! i love it.

:o :D :!: