New and improved search (really)

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Homesick
Warden

New and improved search (really)

Post by Homesick »

I just finished fine-tuning a couple of significant changes to the site's search functionality. With the new setup, the searches are run entirely using Microsoft's public search index and algorithm, which means my involvement consists of merely gluing our site and Microsoft's search engine together. (In other words: If things work out great, I deserve all the credit for implementing their services well. If things turn out to be horrible, Microsoft is solely responsible. ;))

I would love to know how the search works out for you:
  • Are the results relevant?
  • Is 10 results per page too little or too much?
  • Is it easy to navigate the result set?
  • Is there a point to using the site's custom search or would you rather just use Google to find what you're looking for?
It's also worth noting that this new search also looks through our forum posts.

Check it out!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: New and improved search (really)

Post by zany »

it didn't seem to search forum posts to me (all i tried was searching "faces & name" and "tea" which i thought i remember both were discussed in the forum at some point) and the only results i got were in the other areas of the site.

HOWEVER i think the existing forum search works fine for the forum so i don't mind if this other doesn't search the forum

to answer your other question i definitely like the site having a search function (for example searching discography based on lyrics like to find all songs that have some random phrase or word in it etc.) which i'd never use google for.

the results i got were relevant. 10 per page sounds OK... not sure if i have an opinion on that.
yes it was easy to navigate the results i like how it tells you which section each result is from

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

zany wrote:i like how it tells you which section each result is from
I'm not sure what you mean; that's a feature that used to be there but isn't present now. (I should add it, though.)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Agree with zany - I really like the fact that we have a search function here (for searching through lyrics and so)
Also, ten results is just fine, and yes, they are relevant. So - excellent job!