Faces & Names

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

oops... hate to answer my self but just looked on the net to send to friends. and can't find an official site. While I am broke ... all the time, I would like to be able to send some friends a copy. With out screwing the artist.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I LOVE that cd. Interestingly enough, when I first got it I didn't much care for it. Not at all the type of music I'm typically into, but I gave it more of a chance than I probably would have had it been some random artist I didn't already like. It grew on me absolutely.

Going to what someone said about the music getting them through....music's always done that for me, too, and Dave seems to have some kind of knack for lyrics that hit people with personal meaning. An awful lot of songs on Faces & Names and of course on all of the Soul Asylum records have been words I needed to hear right when I most needed to hear them. As I keep saying....Soul Asylum is what they are.

And they always seem to turn up right when I need them. Silver Lining suddenly appeared after all those years right when I was going through the worst time of my life, and seriously wondering if I was going to make it out the other side. And as a followup to that, someone, just to be nice, sent me a show with "In my hour of darkness" or whatever that song may actually be called, right at the same time.
And I got hit with that weird 'How do these people DO this for me?' thing again.

Pretty amazing.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

crawl wrote:oops... hate to answer my self but just looked on the net to send to friends. and can't find an official site. While I am broke ... all the time, I would like to be able to send some friends a copy. With out screwing the artist.
Amazon and Target both sell new copies of Faces and Names. Good luck in your sharing!

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

I have always been a very diverse music fan, liking everything from bluegrass to hip hop, and I have always been a fan of soulful, Bluesy stuff, maybe it's because I saw the Blues Brothers a half a billion times growing up, I don't know. (very early childhood memory wondering how a car could could launch of a road and end up falling that far, baffled my young mind)

Anyway, I seemed to take to it pretty quickly and it got heavy rotation for the first several months. Faces and Names the song is awesome, captures that Dave free flow thought songwriting.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

sheryl wrote:"In my hour of darkness" or whatever that song may actually be called,
Yes, it is called "In My Hour of Darkness," originally by Gram Parsons. If it floats your boat, check out the CD that has both his albums GP & Grievous Angel. Amazing stuff. And the tribute album Return of the Griveous Angel, from the late 90s, is one of the few tribute albums out there truly worth buying.

-Rob

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Grievous Angle great disc! Great remind and great song. Had to go put it on (mostly so I could see how to spell it).

Thanks for the heads up on sharing, Amazon had new for 3.99 ???? Did not think of Target as did not have at the store (or the one by me anyway) But after talking to a friend about the radio head gift to rock fans I guess I must agree with her thoughts that a used CD is recycling, Dave probably does not need my money that bad, and I have already contributed a bit to the soul asylum coffers (sp?)

Sure is nice to have a place to chat about stuff like this!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Gram's stuff is awesome. It's too bad he died so young. GP/Grievous is incredible. I picked it up over the summer and couldn't stop listening to it. If you're into any of the "alt.country (or whatever the hell it's called)" music, he's really the grandfather of it. If you like his stuff, I'd also recommend grabbing some of the Flying Burrito Brothers Band albums. They were a band gram played in for a while. It has a lot of really good stuff.

Phil

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Don't Forget Sweetheart of the Rodeo by the Byrds. Even though Parsons' lead vocals ended up on something like only 2 or 3 tracks, the album still has his fingerprints all over it.

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Re: Faces & Names

Post by Cordelia »

It`s a great album. My favorite song is "364".
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia