Faces & Names

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
Homesick
Warden

Faces & Names

Post by Homesick »

I just returned from a two-hour drive during which I listened to Faces & Names for the first time, and now I'm curious as to what people's impressions of it are.

I've only listened to the album twice so far, but it definitely came off as an "easy listening" sort of record. I was familiar with the title track from before, but everything else was new to me. Never Recover stood out somewhat, but judging from my first impression, it still seems to be an overall pretty even record.

How do you like it? Any favorite tracks? Does it resemble Dave's and Soul Asylum's style, and should it? Share your thoughts!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

It will probably take you a few more listens since it is so different from Soul Asylum's material, but stick with it because I think it's one of those records where the songs reveal themselves to you over time. Then again, it might not be your cup of tea.

I really love the record. There's a complexity to the songs that makes the "easy listening" tag feel wrong to me, but I know what you mean. There's a mixture of pop, soul, R&B, funk -- even a little bit of gospel in "I'll Have My Day." You can definitely tell New Orleans had an impact on Dave.

My favorite songs are I'll Have My Day, Feel the Need, Never Recover, Tea, Teach Me to Breathe, Start Treating People Right, and the title track.

It's one of those records I put on when I'm not sure what I'm in the mood to hear, because I'm almost always in the mood to hear it.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I think it's definitely a great album; not one bad song on it in my opinion. It's one of those albums where I can pop it into the CD player and listen to it all the way through without skipping a track.

It is very different than Soul Asylum's material, but I think that may be a part of why I like it so much. Many artists who have gone solo sometimes can't pull it off, but Dave definitely did in this case. I wish the album was given some more notoriety because many of the songs are worthy of airplay material. My favorites would have to be Levitation, I'll Have My Day, Faces & Names, and Start Treating People Right.

In related news, I have typed out the lyrics to all the songs on the album and they should be posted soon under the discography section (I couldn't find them all available elsewhere anyways). If anybody has some trivia for the Faces & Names album and would like to contribute it for the site, please post it, and I'll be sure to include it.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Monolith Maniac wrote:In related news, I have typed out the lyrics to all the songs on the album and they should be posted soon under the discography section
Great job, Jim. Now I just have to get this thing done on my end. ;)

In news related to the aforementioned related news, I just posted the latest Monthly Roundup. The front page looks a little sparse right now, what with two Monthly Roundups immediately following each other, but there'll be more interesting stuff there soon.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

This is very unusual, but I actually woke up this morning with the sense that I really wanted to hear "Feel the Need", which hasn't happened with a lot of songs before. I have a feeling I'll be listening to the record quite a bit this coming holiday season, because it somehow sounds like a great Christmas album—in a very unconvential way, of course, but I still think it has that feel, you know?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Homesick wrote:I have a feeling I'll be listening to the record quite a bit this coming holiday season, because it somehow sounds like a great Christmas album—in a very unconvential way, of course, but I still think it has that feel, you know?
Yeah, its definitely an album you can listen to 364 days a year :D (sorry couldn't resist).

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Haha!

The question remains, though: Which day of the year can you not listen to it? :shock:

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Homesick wrote:Haha!

The question remains, though: Which day of the year can you not listen to it? :shock:
Theres nothing in the song that says you can't, but maybe I'll Have My Day has something to do with it?

On a related note I was just thinking that 2 songs, both written by Dave share a similar coincidence, 364 and 99%. They are both one number away from what would you say, "being complete"? Although they are 2 very different types of songs, do you think there is any connection or similar thing Dave was thinking at the time of writing these songs? Why the reason for the one number off (besides the fact it would screw with the meaning of the song).

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Homesick wrote:Haha!

Theres nothing in the song that says you can't, but maybe I'll Have My Day has something to do with it?

On a related note I was just thinking that 2 songs, both written by Dave share a similar coincidence, 364 and 99%. They are both one number away from what would you say, "being complete"? Although they are 2 very different types of songs, do you think there is any connection or similar thing Dave was thinking at the time of writing these songs? Why the reason for the one number off (besides the fact it would screw with the meaning of the song).
I would actually guess that that's pure coincidence. 99% is about needing some space (honestly, I think it could have been written by a woman explaining her menstrual cycle).

364, to me, seems to be about being oh-so-close to attaining closure (something that can't be done, truly, in less than 365 days, at least.)

Whatever these songs were actually about, the problem seems to be fixed, as now he doesn't think much about the things he thought he just couldn't live without :P
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Hey now,

I am posting in a moment of drunken compulsion... it happens... hopefully not too much. This album came out at a time when I was literally hanging on to sanity and life with my finger nails! True.

Started to mention it in another segment of the forum where I referred to my first impression of Dave as "Cousin It". But hit edit. I am not sure just how crazy I want you all to know I am.

Any way. There was a time when just getting through the day or the next breathe was all I could do. So at that time it really helped to have Dave teaching me how to breathe. And reminding me ... of things. I would put this CD on and listen over and over again. Please teach me to breathe.. remind me how,I can't remember. I thought I cared. Sunday school is over! But by the end I was levitating!

So I sent it to a friend. Who need it too.

That year for New Years I saw SA. Great show. House of Blues, Chicago. I was soo close! Miss that song... I know everyone likes closer to the stars better I am use to being in the minority.

Just a quick post 'cause I have to go and send a couple of copies to friends who need it right now. And shovel the neighbors walk.... Cause that is what i want to do... Snow, snow, snow. Are we going to CO?